It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:18 pm 

A power failure knocked off my EX485, so I did a server recovery. Everything went smooth until the System Console showed only one disk, and none of my files! I had replaced the second disk with a 2 TB WD awhile ago, maybe that's causing the problem? I am desperate because my backup is about a year old.

I know I don't want to "add" the disk again as that will reformat the disk. How can I recover the data that hopefully is still on the second disk? And then get everything back functioning as normal?

Based on my research so far, is the only method to try and read the disk on an a PC?

[update 2 - I bought a SATA to USB connector to read the disk. Nothing there except the folder structure! I can't believe the server recovery process totally screwed me by deleting all my user files, yet retained the folder directory. Next step is taking the drives to the recovery experts.

I'm now in the process of buying anew NAS and am probably going to sell the EX485 (or throw it off the high bridge) - anyone interested?

Thanks for your help!

Jim

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:22 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, I know lots of people have done recoveries (Not factory Reset) and have had it go as expected. I have had a couple of "not so good recoveries" so I always backup the data and do a copy back.
Questions:
1) The drive you added, I'm assuming it was added to the pool since you say you can see a file structure.
2) Did you have file duplication turned on?
3) Did you do a recovery and not a reset?

This program might be a way to try and save your files:
https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Lastly, I am assuming you had hidden files and folders turned on in folder options when you looked at the drives.

I will wish you good luck,
I found out very early that backups of your data are good, just in case.
I do non-pooled drive backups and I have a second WHS that I synctoy the main server to, double backup.

Let us know how it goes......

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks