It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:45 pm 

OK … need some help and direction here. Any input would be appreciated.
I have an HP LX195 with the original 640GB WD6400AAKS drive in the server.
I have a 1TB WD10000H1U-00 My Book external USB drive attached via USB to expand my storage pool.
I am using a 2TB WDBAAF0020HBK-00 My Book external USB drive attached via USB for server folder backup and PC backup database backup.
Just so you know I have had no problems whatsoever with this configuration now since 2009.
Since the internal 640GB drive is aging (still working fine though) I thought I would replace the drive with a 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 drive that I purchased (new) about a year ago.
Formated the new drive as NTFS using a Windows XP machine and installed the drive in my server and installed the server software and all available updates were applied.
All seemed fine for a while.
After anywhere from a couple of days to 3 weeks I start seeing severe slow access to the server. I go through Remote Desktop and pull up the performance monitor and see that the Avg. Disk Quota and the Mem Pages/Sec are pinned pretty much at 100% and %Processor was always around 50%.
After massive reading on this blog and others I am pretty much convinced that the issue is that the new Seagate drive is an “Advanced Format Drive”. (Duh… stamped “AF” on the drive’s label)
Command prompt “fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo f:” shows the Seagate drive as “Bytes per Sector: 4096”.
Again, after a lot of reading I found that it seems a lot of folks have had problems with the “Advanced Format Drives” with Bytes per Sector of 4096 rather than the non-advanced format drives which were Bytes per Sector of 512 when running WHS V1.
1ST Question: Should I be stocking up on non-advanced format drives (for the inevitable failure of the internal system drive) if I want to keep using my HPLX195 running WHS V1?
2nd question: Does anyone know FOR SURE if I can use Advanced Format Drives as external storage pool drives via USB attachment (like in an external drive enclosure) to the HP LX195 running WHS V1 without the same problems I was experiencing using an advanced format drive as the internal system drive?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:47 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I think your in the wrong thread, I believe there is a thread that is specific to LX195 and other types that were non-mediasmart, but besides that.
To your questions, Yes advanced format drives are a pain, I believe you can jumper them and/or use a WD program to realign them and use them.
But
I would use WD Red drives as they work right out of the box and I don't care for seagates drives anyway.

As far as using them as pool drives or external, I don't know but since you can jumper them or align them,you could use them either way.
I do not have a LX195 so someone else may have more info for you, you also can search for advance format drives and will find a lot of help and check the LX195 thread as well.
Good luck.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:27 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

That segate is self aligning according to the specs just like one I have.
but the tools I used to test it stated it was out of alignment and I never found an alignment tool that works with segate.
Also if you locate a alignment tool for the segate it must be populated with data before the alignment.
The system drive and backup drive alignment is easy. Pool drives are another story.
If a AF drive is close to full you probably are seeing the symptoms.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks