It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Seagate 2TB HD problems
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:37 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi all

I am new to this forum but have been a HP mediasmart user since the EX470 started being sold in the UK.

I had WD drives in my EX470, system drive was a 1.5TB green, along with a 2TB green, and two 2TB black, supplied by WD after two of the orignal 2TB green drives failed at the same time.

I have now upgraded to an X510 and have fitted four Seagate 2TB Barracuda drives.

However I am having problems copying data to my server from my PC. If copying from Windows 7 I get random "The specified network name is no longer available" messages. If doing the copy in remote desktop with a USB external drive it comes up with the same message, also at random.

Access to the drives is slow, and when its happening, the Windows console is so sluggish as to be unusable and everything is really slow in remote desktop. I decided to remove one of the Seagate drives and it took two days to redistribute the data to the other drives !

I tried Google searches and didn't find anythng specific to that error message in WHS but did fnd an interesting posting in a gamer forum where a guy was complaining that his games were freezing due to an "auto head park" energy saving feature in the Seagate drives.

I also found some information on the Segate website stating "The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector on SATA 300MB/s drives can be used to force the drive into SATA 150MB/s mode for use with older SATA controllers that only work with SATA 150MB/s drives".

My initial question to all you guys is does the X510 - and other HP mediasmart servers - have an "older SATA controller that only work with SATA 150MB/s drives" ?

If it does then I can fit jumper and hopefully solve the problem, if not any other ideas ?

Thanks all - Nigel

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:33 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Do you know for sure the drives are good?
I would install the SMART FREE addin and make sure , I don't trust seagates, but that's just one of many opinions.

Almost sound like a network or drive problem.

Search for extended format drives, there is a lot of info on aligning them.
Some drives need to be jumpered some don't, but not because of the bus speed, the the 4 k format of some of the newer drives.

The WD reds are plug and go, other are not.
Good luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:24 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi

Thanks for the info.

I powered it down yesterday to copy all my data off the drives and of the two I have done so far, both came up in Windows 7 as RAW.

Luckily I have a neat piece of software called "Recover my Files" which can extract files out of a RAW partition and and I am currently extracted my data from the drives onto my desktop Windows 7 PC.

As all my Seagate drives have had very light use and are only a few months old I should be able to sell them on Ebay and make enough to help fund four WD red 2TB drives, thanks for the recommendation for them.

Thanks