It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:28 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

After a recent catastrophic expansion drive crash in a 2-drive EX490, I lost data and couldn't clear 6 of the file conflicts reported to the console. The system drive was still good but since the second drive was not removed gracefully, some of the non-duplicated shares are gone and therefore the reported conflicts. I have backups on external disk but the system won't let me restore the files which are reported as conflicts.

So, I bought more non-AF drives and want to set up a three drive system (system + 2 pool) but first wanted to do a system restore in the hope that the restore would clear the conflicts by deleting the tombstones for the files that disappeared when the disk crashed. I haven't installed any of the new drives yet.

I performed a restore on the original system drive which completed successfully according to the wizard. I am now attempting to re-install the connector on the first PC. The server has all status lights and the single disk light slowly flashing alternating dim and bright blue. I found elsewhere on this forum that this means that the first client PC hasn't been set up yet (true here!). My client PC is 32 bit Vista Home Premium with all .net and service packs current.

When I run WHSConnectorInstall.exe from the CD, the wizard starts the download then quickly reports that 0% is downloaded and pops up a window stating:
An error has occurred
This operation cannot be completed at this time.
Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product Support.

The Back button will attempt the download again which also fails. I have tried "again later" several times over the last 2 hours. I can ping the server on my network. I can start a remote desktop connection but of course can't login because I haven't set up an account or password yet.

I've been researching whether there are options other than waiting it out (is WHS trying to fix the data errors before letting a client in?). Haven't found any other references to this issue or the possible resolutions. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:42 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Update: Despite opening the firewall ports and then turning off the firewall completely, still couldn't get the connector to download from the server. In frustration, I disabled the entire security suite on the PC and was able to download 100% however, the installation failed with the following message:

Error 2738. Could not access VBscript Runtime for custom action.

I had previously received the same error message when uninstalling the MSS prior to the Restore. Now trying to troubleshoot this error. So far the fix mentioned here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8214

didn't work and have moved onto the Microsoft recommendations here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 8a46653083

So far, no luck with the MS steps either. Next I will try a restore to an earlier point to see if the error can be made to disappear.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

Thanks