It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:49 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Had a power outage recently and noticed this today

The server is connected to a UPS though. I unplugged it out of the UPS and plugged it in directly to see if it was maybe the UPS that is faulty but still have the same error.

Can't check any settings on Home Server SMART now because of a Failure with no explanation given in the error window but I assume it has to do with the voltage.

Strangely enough I can still access all the media I've attempted to access so far, however I'm worried about not being able to view SMART and the problem possibly getting worse.

Any ideas?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:24 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

sounds like the psu is going bad on the server.
You can double check in the whs console by going to settings.
select mediasmart server on the left and the hardware tab.

It will show fan speeds and voltage specs.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:21 pm 

Hi Golduck,

What you need to look at is the actual health indicators in settings to see what the actual values are. Also you did not mention which MSS model you own.

Back when I first encountered the same issue as your describing it was not so much the PSU which caused my issue but an issue on the motherboard which cases failures in some of the HP Software to load which resulted in my EX470 at the time not being able to properly monitor the health of the MSS. So I am curious if you own an EX470 or EX475.

The PSU may be well worth looking at because its one of the most common issues with MSS Hardware.

Can you by any chance make a Remote Desktop Connection to the server and review the Event Logs to look for software load failures and to check the Services to see if the HP MSS Service is actually running and if not can you start it and if so what happens? While there you can also run the Console and check the health indicators and fan speeds.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:48 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Here are the voltages: Image

The HPMediaSmartService is "Started" in Services.

How do I figure out my exact HP MSS model?

The Application page in Event Viewer has a bunch of errors related to HPMediaSmartServer stating that "The volts33V voltage sensor is reporting 5126 mV (it should be between 2970 mV and 3630 mV.)"

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:54 am 

If you select SUPPORT in the picture you posted you it should tell you which model server you have.

Looking at the Hardware Health indicators you posted it appears and I could be wrong but it appears you may have a motherboard issue and I only say this because of the CPU Temp being listed as =1c and because the PSU voltage levels are so far off that if they were at that level I do not believe your MSS would even boot up.

You can do some testing on the PSU just to see what the voltage levels are but if your not familiar with electronics then I would advise you to have someone who is do the testing. First thing you need to understand is that the PSU in your server is not a standard Flex ATX PSU its Proprietary but the following link will explain the Pin Out differences so you can perform some basic testing. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... wer_Supply

The HP MSS uses the same PSU configuration in the EX47x, EX48x, EX49x, x310 and x510. Do not use a PSU tester unless you have a cable adapter to convert the connector back to a standard ATX 20 pin configuration.

You appear to be running the HP v3.x software which shipped with the EX49x and x510 and was only available for a short time as an upgrade for the EX47x and EX48x.

Years ago I had an EX470 that lost its ability to monitor the health indicators so it could no longer monitor the fan speeds, cpu temp, PSU values and to make matters worse the LED's would not function. Other then that the server was fully functional and I ran it that way for about 3 months before purchasing a replacement for it because it drove me nuts. However along the way it taught me quite a bit about the MSS and how to troubleshoot issues, work around the issues and brought me to this site.

If you feel you want to change the PSU just to rule it out you can find them on eBAY. The two venders I know of who sell direct replacement PSU's are Overtek LTD and KDM Power.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks