It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:10 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I originally posted about this here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10854 in 2011.

That was sorted as I could read the discs over my network but this time there is no connection at all. I've connected directly to my laptop and PC via cable but nothing. From reading over the last few days I guess one of the drives is corrupted and/or the main system drive. How it happened I do not know, one day working the next day flashing blue.

The server has 4 drives, 3x1 TB and 1x2TB. The first two are originals, about 4 years old. So far I have connected the second drive to my pc by replacing one of it's drives. The PC didn't load the drive and while it recognised it in disc management, it asked me to format, which I didn't. I allocated it a letter, F, which showed it as RAW.

To add to my dilemma I don't have the restore discs but hopefully I shall get those via "http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Network-Attached-Storage-NAS/EX490-Recovery-Disc/td-p/5957277/highlight/false/page/2#.VKOMrXv-Z_F".

However, my main concern is recovering the data, I can buy a new server if unable to recover the current one. So guys, how can I recover that data. I've read "https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f/how-to-recover-data-after-server-failure?forum=whsfaq" but doesn't really help as it assumes either the discs are OK and the system is corrupt or visa versa - not both.

Is it something I can do or should I go to a professional, easier said than done here in the Philippines.

Fingers crossed. Cheers

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:17 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well, some progress has been made.

I connected the 3 storage drives to my PC and all of them registered OK. I have my data. The one I originally tried, whilst full, was picked up OK. When I first connected it I took the jumper off - wrong move. Keep the jumper on.

I then attached the system drive and windows wouldn't load on the PC. I assume it was confused even the I had it set to boot from my system SSD.

Do you think it is therefore just a system restore? I'm praying I can get the disc downloaded and burnt to bootable.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:52 am 

Hi johnrxx99,

I am not quite sure how your connecting your Servers System Drive to your PC but the best way to do it is externally and there are many ways to do that. I would not be in a rush to perform a Server Recovery until after I made the external connection and at least ran a CHKDSK on both the SYS and DATA Partitions. If the Drive has completely failed then not much one can do there but to get another drive and performs a Server Recovery.

If your system drive when powered up gets hot quickly or if it makes loud clicking noises or does not initialize or spin up then its time to replace it. If you replace it please be sure to read up on the new Advanced Format Drives and how they should be setup for multi partition use or single partition use with a legacy OS. Much has been written about this on this site and others. Unfortunately I do not have a drive I could recommend but some drives are plug and play and others are not and its a rather annoying situation.

However this is the time when you should review your DATA and backup your most important data to protect it. While the server does provide very good redundancy for your files the thing is if something horrible happens to your server fire or theft then where are your files. So please take this time to backup your most important files before attempting any further corrective action.

The other thing I would like to point out to you is that as you well know many parts of the Philippines experience power outages during the day and this can cause issues with Hard Drive Corruption if a hard drive is being written to when the power is lost. You can protect your server buy installing a UPS AKA Battery Backup and install software onto the server that will have the UPS instruct the server to shut down after a period of time after the power failure occurs. There are other benefits to having a UPS but one downside and that is the batteries in the UPS only last 2-5 yrs so they have to be replaced.

Good Luck resolving your issues and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
johnrxx99
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:22 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Many thanks for the reply and Happy New Year!

Because of my location, whilst one is aware of many issues, trying to resolve them is another matter. I live in Cebu City, the second city, but try and get a usb/sata/ide connector pack to connect the drive externally - no chance, well so far. So I've been connecting the drives by unplugging one in my PC and connecting the other server drives, and finally the system disk which hung the reboot to load it.

I'll go out today and try again to find an external connector while I'm buying some more 2tb drives for my PC to copy the server data to but in the meantime:-

1. Is it dangerous to connect the system drive hot, ie when the PC is up and running?
2. I know this is silly, but how do you run chkdsk? Is it the same as computer/right click drive/tools/error checking/check now?

Cheers

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:06 pm 

On some systems when you connect a drive hot it will go RAW so its not advisable. Always best to connect it external so it does not create boot issues for the client and external is a much easier way to connect for sure.

As for the CHKDSK yes run it from the TOOLS its much easier then running it from the CMD Prompt.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
johnrxx99
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:30 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Many thanks again com1962.

I've tried again for a usb/sata/ide connector and I receive blank stares in all the best (!) PC parts shops. I went to a pc builder I know and they don't have one either, just some sata cables although they did say they could do a dskchk - I didn't want to ask how but having explained the problem for 20 minutes or so they seemed confident.

I'm going to see if I can buy in the UK and have it shipped to a mate who's over there at the moment. At least I managed to buy a couple of 2TB drives for copying - they seem to be going out of fashion over here as there are loads of the WD externals - people just don't play with PC's any more.

I'll keep you posted. Cheers, John

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:35 am 

If you have an external enclosure that will work too.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:03 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

My mate brought back the connector and I've checked the disk. It showed up as two disks, DATA as disk I and local disk J. The DATA disk had no issues with disc check and I copied the files. The other disk, which I assume is the system partition, hung for a while then showed "you need to format the disk before it can be used"

Thus I assume the system is corrupt. As I do not have a WHS restore cd I've tried to get a copy from another link but if fails. I therefore assume I'm stuffed.

So, can I format the drive and load a more recent version of WHS, like the 2012 version, on this HP server?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:38 pm 

Yes you can just about any other OS like FreeNAS, WHS2011, WS2012 and others. However because the server is headless you will need to find a Guide to install the OS on your server.

The easiest way to install another OS is to purchase a DEBUG Board and either place the ISO image on a flash drive or connect an external USB Optical Drive and install the OS normally. A DEBUG Board like the one offered by VOV Technologies comes in many configurations and price ranges but at the very least it will provide you with a VGA Connection.

You should also know that the LEDS will not function without additional drivers and software to run them as they do not come supplied with other Operating Systems.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
johnrxx99
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:13 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Many thanks indeed for the swift reply. Having checked, I can't buy any WHS software here in the Philippines. Also, no leds and further hardware to buy from abroad!!!

I'll format the hard drives and use them in my PC and junk the server AND WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HP PRODUCT AS LONG AS I LIVE. That HP have to reply on private discussion boards sums up their customer service.

But anyway, thank you so much for the help and advice and good luck.

Cheers

Thanks