It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Server Backup Problem
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:52 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I installed software upgrades June 12th and discovered that my nightly server backups to a USB-connected disk stopped. This has been automatic and rock-solid for several years so I had gotten out of the habit of checking completions! I ass-u-me-d that I had a disk failure so I formatted a new drive, installed it and set it up. When I initiated a backup, the console closed (and no backup started). Tried to view prior backups – similar results but the console just locks up and I have to close it and re-open it to do anything.

The drives are fully accessible through MyComputer and show as Server Backup Disks through both the Server Storage and Disk Management tabs on the console. I do all of this through a remote connection but the situation is similar with the normal console.

I have since installed all updates to date (6/12, 7/9, 8/11, 8/12, 8/28, 9/12, 11/11 and 12/12), cycling power on the server (EX-475), SansDigital unit and USB drives each time with no change. There are no additional Microsoft or HP updates as of this time.

I also tried installing a different external drive through a different USB port with the same results.

• HP MSS:
o Software: 3.3.1.35433 – 2/3/10 ...
o BIOS: R02 7/13/2007

• Windows:
o WHS with Power Pack 3 ID: 78495-OEM-4211965-00077
o Version Info:
 Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
 Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
 Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
 Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.3436.0
 Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

Any thoughts, folks?

With grandkids, some travel and numerous volunteer commitments over the summer I am just now beginning to address this problem! Fortunately everything on the MSS is stored redundantly. I have both images and files on the server and the files are backed up daily to another (unmanaged) disk set as well as having key files backed up to the cloud (Cloudberry/Amazon) daily. But with these I lose not only the image but also the ability to selectively recover by date if I have to go that route. (BTW, I have never had to recover from the cloud but I have used other levels at different times – usually operator error but also disc and power failures as well.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:43 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm confused, when you say your nightly server backups fail to an external drive "USb"
What server are we talking about?
I know WHS v1 you can have a non-pooled drive to backup the shares, but it is not automatic. And you are not saying the pc backups but server backups.
I know Alex had a addin that you could backup the pc backup database but not the server.

Is this a DIY server with maybe whs 2011 or w2012E?
If so, I can't see why it would quit backing up, sorry, can't think of why, but was unsure what your working with.
Good luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:34 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Sorry, I should not have referenced the "automatic" nature of the backups. I had been experimenting with automating them but that is irrelevant to the problem as the experiment was on a test machine. Unfortunately, the failure is on both that and on my "production" unit that has few Add-ins and NO modifications whatever.

This is WHS V1, SERVER backup, and a non-pooled drive. The problem occurs when the backup is to be performed manually, even if I remove the drives used in the past and format, install and identify a new one for use. This has nothing to do with Alex's Add-In. This is not DIY, WHS 2011 or W2012E.

Insight would be appreciated. Is anyone else having this problem? Is anyone able to back up the server (manually)?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:07 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

OK, that makes more sense :-) I fired up my w2012E box and did a server backup just to make sure loloolol

Well, I hadn't backed up mywhs v1 shares to my non-pooled drives since Oct. so I just stuck the first Red 2tb in and set it to non-pooled and picked all the folders I wanted to backup and away it went.
My server x-510 same hardware as ex-490/5 has a upgraded cpu/ram I use Smartpower to sleep it at night and the Free SMART addin to keep an eye on the drives.
I use CCLeaner to keep the os partition clean and I use a .bat file to clean out all the windows event logs.

My backup seems to be running fine. I would have no idea why your will not. Something has gotten dinked. I hate it when stuff doesn't work.
Good luck, hope you are able to get it going.
I would most likely do a recovery because I would not live with a shares backup, I have two 2tb reds and I backup to both (just incase).
Then I synctoy the shares to another server that just sets there, wakes up on sat, runs synctoy and then shuts back down.

More then you needed to know. Please let us know if you are able to fix it, that would be good stuff to know.
P.S. My servers have all the most current updates available.... Windows and HP.

P.S.S. First backup finished and I plugged in the second red 2tb into the server and the backup is running again. My are running in a bay in the server, I wonder if your usb is the problem?

Scarey stuff, but might try moving one of your data drives out into the usb and try the backup in a bay. If your data drive comes up missing, then you would know it was the usb.
Glad you do have other backups, I won't play without them, almost did that a couple of time and not a good feeling.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks