It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: HP Data Vault x310
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:38 pm 

Hello I have a Data Vault that is just blinking aqua. I try a system recover with a windows vista laptop I get it to blink violet but the process fails at step three.

There is no tutorial to tell you what step three is. After reading most the threads I am more confused on the correct way to approach my problem.

Is there anyone that has experienced step three failure?

This all started after my wife complained she could not access the server.

Thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: HP Data Vault x310
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:31 am 

The x310 recovery is the same as the EX49x so try following the guide in the link: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... _and_EX495

These TFTP Recoveries can be a bit temperamental also make certain the disks your working with are for the x310 and not for another server model.

Good Luck!!!!

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:48 am 

Still is getting failure at step three but is appears that is is not getting the server .38 address

I start the recovery process and and in tftpd32 the server interface starts at 127.0.0.1 then after about 10 seconds it switches to my static wan address i have from my ISP

On the DHCP tab i see what is probably my laptop 169.37.37.37 but the server .38 never comes up then it fails.

I am on a laptop running vista 64bit directly connected ethernet to the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:23 am 

These recoveries are a bit of a PITA sometimes they just take off and work other times its not the case and takes several attempts. I have seen in some cases where a bad drive will muck up a recovery process and with these headless servers it makes troubleshooting even more difficult.

You may not have to perform an actual recovery. The blinking Aqua Health Light is just an indication the server has not finished booting. This can be caused by a drive issue, or a failing drive but in most cases running a CHKDSK on the drives in the server will resolve the issues and save you tons of grief in the process.

You can connect the drives to another computer using a USB-SATA cable, Docking Station or external enclosure and then you can run a CHKDSK on the connected drive to repair any issues the drive may have. This has been discussed many times by myself and others in the forms.

I will also tell you that any failed drive in the server can also create that boot issue. You can shut the server off, back out all the storage pool drives, leaving only the system drive connected but if you have external USB Devices you may want to disconnect them then turn the server on and see if it will boot. If it does boot you can expect to see a RED Health Light because of the missing drives. Logon and shut the server down and connect one drive and reboot and repeat the process until you find the drive which causes the issue and that's the drive which needs to be repaired. In most cases it will only be one drive but you never know.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:33 pm 

So if I CHKDSK will it be ok to check the boxes to fix errors and recover bad sectors?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:18 pm 

Yes its done all the time. Just do not physically change anything on the drives yourself just let the CHKDSK utility to do the work. Also the System Drive has 2 partitions named SYS and DATA the SYS Partition holds the OS and the DATA Partition is part of the storage pool. All storage Pool Drives are named DATA. If you want to copy your data from the drives you will need to set the computer to be able to view hidden files and folders then you will see the Hidden Folder DE which will contain the files in your Storage Pool or some of them depending on how you set your pool up.

Now you should be good to go. Hopefully a CHKDSK will resolve your issue. Let me know how you make out.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:08 pm 

Bingo. CHKDSK did it. Very bizarre but appriciate the quick responses from everyone. Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well chkdsk does a drive repair.
So I would monitor the drive for future errors and plan on replacing it very soon.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:57 pm 

I would also install HomeServerSMART Classic to monitor the condition of your hard drive. http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/HomeSe ... c.html#all

If you do not have a UPS or Battery Backup protecting your server then you may want to get one and install the software for WHSv1 so that when there is a power failure the server can then be shut down in a controlled manor. Otherwise if a drive is being written too during a power failure then it will become corrupt and you will end up in pretty much the same situation your were just in.

Good Luck with your server and I am very happy to hear that running a CHKDSK Resolved your issue as it has for many others in the past.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks