It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:42 pm 

Hi Folks - I'm hoping you can help.

I have a very old HP WHS. This morning we had a power outage and when I turned on the WHS I was no longer able to log into it from either of my Win 8.1 machines.

It kept prompting me for the password. I tried all possible passwords, but it hadn't done this for soooo long that I'm not sure I ever came up with the right one. I searched everywhere and never found the password.

So, (and here is where I probably went wrong) I read up on restoring the WHS OS and went ahead and used the HP WHS Server Recovery disk to do a Server Recovery. It found the WHS and performed the recovery... I think.. Here is the article that describes what I did: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... c=en&lc=en

The program ended with no errors but then nothing happened. After doing some research I think it was supposed to try to install the Home server software but couldn't do it because my 8.1 machine is 64 bit and the PC software is 32 bit.

What are my options at this point? Is there any way to access the data on these pooled hard drives? They contain 14 years of pictures!! I've got a backup of all but the last 4...

Can I pull the drives? Or do I need to find someone with a WinXP laptop or machine and try to install the sofware from there, so that I can access the box?

Any ideas would really be appreciated!

James

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:55 pm 

Update: Reading through some other threads I decided to pull the drives out. I was able to recover all my pictures.. I'm so happy! Thanks for all the great info on this board!

James

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:21 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

To complete a server recovery you must install the connector software.
Then when the server finishes it's updates you will need to reinstall it again.

the connector install works on on my win8.1 64 laptop.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:57 am 

Hi JamesT425,

Could you kindly identify your server model and the version of the HP Software that's listed on the Recovery Disk Set. The version will be either v1.x, 2.x or 3.x. The 3.x works the best with 64bit machines as its the more up to date version of WHSv1 where as the v1.x and 2.x will cause an issue when the client software is being installed but often but the issue is resolved by installing the client software from the client software CD. After the client software is installed you will then be able to configure the server.

One of the nice things about WHS is that you can read the drives as you have found out. Take this opportunity to backup your most important data from the storage pool drives so that in the event something does happen to your server you will still have access to your data..

Last thing worth mentioning is that there are two types of recoveries, a FACTORY RESET which will install the original factory image and NOT PRESERVER the DATA in your STORAGE POOL and then there is the SERVER RECOVERY which WILL PRESERVE your STORAGE POOL DATA.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks