It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Random Reboots
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:29 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have a new EX945 that it is really starting to irk me. It was working fine for about 2 weeks and now it has decided that it likes to reboot for no apparent reason (that I can discern) randomly. Sometimes it will reboot twice in 5 minutes and then it will be fine for a while. The only thing that has changed is that I upgraded one computer from Vista to 7. The computer that I changed was the original computer I used for the first installation and setup of the MSS but I didn't think that would be an issue. I reinstalled the home server connector and have access to the server when it is not rebooting. Thoughts anyone?

THe only other thing I am struggling with is that I get the "passwords do not match notification". When I try to update the passwords it says that the Server Password I type is wrong no matter what I do. Possible link with other problems? I don't know.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Random Reboots
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:44 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

EDIT: I have done some more playing and I am quite certain that the issue is something with the 7 machine. Whenever I try to do something with the server from 7 it just shutsdown and reboots. However sometimes even with the 7 machine not connected it still seems to reboot randomly. Now I know that Power Pack 3 is supposed to add some functionality and make 7 integrate with MSS better but I was under the impression that MSS and 7 could at least play nice together. Is this an incorrect assumption?

I have lightsout, whiist, P80 and a few add-ins any chance they are the culprit?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:12 pm 
Founder
Founder

I would definitely uninstall Add-Ins to narrow down the possibilities. Also try checking the event viewer logs on the server for errors.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:45 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have uninstalled all add-ins and for now it seems to have fixed the random reboots but things are still not quite right. In the system status the cpu utilization does not show up. I looked into the event log and found several things. A lot of errors for one. Many of the errors were ID 6008, previous shutdown was unexpected. I noticed a pattern that most of the shutdowns occurred immediately following the WMconnectCDS service started event or the DCOM service started event log, suggesting to me at least, that one or both of these services was somehow creating the problem.

Under the applications event logs i found the problem for my CPU utilization missing. Every 5 seconds the HPServicemanager gave the following warning:

UpdateCPUInfo: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Exception:System.NullReferenceException
Message:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source:HpmssService
StackTrace:
at HpmssService.HpmssInfo.UpdateCPUInfo()

Any ideas on how to reinstall/rebuild/fix this?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:54 am 
Founder
Founder

It's a known issue with the current 3.0 software, a reboot will fix it temporarily until HP releases a patch.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:11 pm 

Excuse me, bringing an old thread up again, but I also recieve
HpmssService.HpmssInfo.UpdateCPUInfo()
(Warning messages in the Application event log every 5 seconds.)

Having an EX490
Software version: 3.3.1.35433

What to do?

Just to clarify. I am not experiencing any reboots. Just found these warnings whem exploring the event viewer....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 pm 

Funny enough, I just checked event viewer and found the exact same thing as the previous poster. In addition, on the Home Server Consol System Status Page, the CPU Utilization does not display (just the words and no bar graphs). I have had the latter for some time and was trying to figure out what might be causing that when I stumbled on this same error with "UpdateCPUinfo" in the event viewer. Any advice on either/both would be much appreciated. BTW, running HP Mediasmart 495, all updates, no hardware mods (just added 2 samsung 2tb drives, one wd 1.5tb drive some time ago), purchased version of twonky running along with mcaffee. Up to date OS. Thanks.

Update:
Installed adminime app to see what it was showing for cpu utilization, and it would show flat, even though the task manager would show utilization in the 50's at the time. For some reason, whatever service or app that pulls in cpu utilization does not appear to be working. I uninstalled adminime since it wasn't working either.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:46 am 

New for this problem?
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: HPServiceManager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 28/09/2014
Time: 22.09.57
User: N/A
Computer: NAS2
Description:
UpdateCPUInfo: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Exception:System.NullReferenceException
Message:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source:HpmssService
StackTrace:at HpmssService.HpmssInfo.UpdateCPUInfo()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Help me please !

Thanks