It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:23 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

So, just as a final update on this issue. I still see intermittent backups on my PCs not working on any given day. Sometimes, I see backups working on all 3 PCs on a given day. Now, my PCs are:

1. Desktop running Win8.1/64
2. Desktop running Win7/64
3. Laptop running Win8.1/64

Several of the older PCs (with Vista and XP) are now gone. I had a lot of fun beating the crap out of those old PCs hard drives with a hammer and pry-bar <g>.

Sometimes, I see all three PCS backup OK for 3 days in a row. Sometimes one or more of the 3 PCs do NOT backup on a given day but is OK the next day. Sometimes it is one of the "other" PCs that do NOT backup on a given day. I kept Word documents by the month to see if I could spot a trend (nope, I couldn't see a trend).

I even installed Sam Wood's WHS Backup notification add-in. So far, it always reports successful backup EVERY day (even if the WHS Console says that the backup did NOT run on a given PC). From emails to Sam Wood it would appear that his notification program only reports the "status" provided by WHS (in my case it is WHS V1).

Therefore, it would "appear" that WHS does not (for whatever reason) always backup every PC every day and if so still considers that "normal".

I have tried searching online for documentation that offers backup data for this assumption in the previous paragraph but it is either not out there or my search arguments are not correct.

Oh well.......thanks to both Ruben and Comp for their suggestions.

Kevin

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." [Attributed to L. P. "Yogi" Berra]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:53 pm 

Kevin,

Your welcome. I tell you honestly that if something changes on one of my clients or if I am about the change something I will perform a manual backup before the change and then after the change. Point here is even though I know my backups take place like clockwork I still force the manual backups.

If your clients are getting backed up multiple times a week I would not sweat the frequency issues too much and if you force a manual backup when your changing things as I mentioned above you will always be in good shape.

I know you want it daily and on all your clients and I wish I had a good solution for you. If you do come across a solution I would love to see.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
kevmeist
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:58 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yep, have certainly done manual backups also. I keep several levels of backup (drive extender, ESATA attached HD and both local and remote backups), so I have no problem with getting to data if it needs to be restored. But, as a software engineer of 47 years.....I hate not knowing why something isn't working the way it seems that it should. From the web searching I have done, I have yet to find any explanation of "when" WHS V1 does and does not do backups. I would have thought by now that this data would be out there...but I can't find it.

Frustrated in Florida <g>.

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." [Attributed to L. P. "Yogi" Berra]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:21 pm 

Well then you should know by now first there was MS-DOS aka Messy-DOS and now its just plain MS for Messy Software which always requires a fix.

Don't get me wrong WHSv1 has served me well over the years and yes at times frustrated the heck out of me but over all I have been happy with it as a backup solution, file and media server. Of course I then moved on to WHS2011 and now use WS2012E as my primary server but I still keep a WHSv1 and WHS2011 server online in part to demonstrate to others what can be done with them but also because they hold important offsite client backups. For their protection I have used BDBB and while I have BDBB Archives on an external drive I also have it stored on a Network Share and to make sure those clients are protected I recovered the client backup databases to other WHSv1 servers which are never used just there if I need them.

I have backups and the server provides good file redundancy. I have an offsite server storing precious data and then of course the data on that server gets copied onto an external drive and then the files are copied to my primary server. Also fear losing something important always has me backing things up but not everything because not everything is important.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:09 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I realize I am getting in on the end of this. But thought I would throw my 2 cents in, you have worked very hard on this one.
I have never had WHS v1 wake my PC to backup. I never trusted that it would be able to do so (played with way to many bios's and Nic cards over the years) so I have always had it set to backup when the pc was awake.
I set my backup times 6am to 12:00 noon because almost everybody in the house fires up their pc during this time. Then I changed it to 6a to 6p to make sure I got them all.
We have 4 netbooks, 5 desktops, 3 of the 5 desktops are on all the time, but sleep after like 4 hours. My 2 dual/boot desktops, I fire up every week or two to update and backup if not using them, we use the netbooks most of the time.

So what I know is windows and hardware can be finicky at best, one of the netbooks (my daughters) I had to turn the backups off because I kept getting a notification that it hadn't been backed up in 21 days, she doesn't use it that much. So I turn it back on evry few months just to update and grab a manual backup then turn it back off.

Since you had them all working at one time completely amazes me. I would never bet you could, there would always have to be at least one that wouldn't wake for backup. Just the cold truth.

I have mine setup to keep 1 day, 1 week, 1 month and then I try to make external images bi-yearly just to be on the safe side.

Finally, since whs v1 is a EOL server, that windows 8 works at all amazes me as well.

I have my girls keep everything they can on the server so the backups are not that important.

But at least you tried, some times changes ain't good.

Goodluck, I will be running whs v1 till it won't go now more, then I have a w2012E box that I am still getting use to for down the road.

Can't wait to see what is going to happen when win 10 comes out, my guess is it is 50/50 it will work with whs v1 and I think I am being optimistic....
Enjoy and good luck.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:38 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hey Gardian,

Always interesting to see how others do backup. To each their own, I guess.

There are only two of in the house now (both old retired farts). I admit that I had a hard time getting my wife used to "where" the files were being kept (on the server), so as you say backup is not "real" important. But, dammit, I wanted it to work <g>.

Take care,

Kevin

Thanks