It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:40 pm 

Comp1962 wrote:
Lon,

I am not sure how far along the person got with the initial recovery but you need to reinstall the client software to make the connection to the new server. If the server was never configured then you should be able to setup the server.

Not sure which two disks your talking about but you would need all the drives from the old server including the system drive for it to boot up. Everyone who obtains the same server model series as they were running previously just connect the drives and boot the server up. The only thing is you need to make sure the system drive is inserted in the bottom drive bay.

Stephen

I installed ALL (there were only two 750GB drives) from the initial EX487 into the Craigslist EX485. The drives were installed in the correct position. Yet, I had issue with the status lights.

So, I have temporally abandoned ALL hardware associate with my original EX487.

I now have the Craiglist EX485 with the one 750GB hardrive that came with the unit (not using any of the drives from my initial EX487). This EX485 computer exhibits this behavior.

It boots up as expected and all the status lights are aqua and the hard drive light is "breathing".

The home server device shows up in my local network.

I have not been able to connect to the device from the Home Server Console from the connected PC on the network.

Enjoy! Lon

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:34 pm 

On the Craigslist EX485:

1) Ran the "Server Recovery Disc" Software

2) Ran the "Software Installation Disk" software on a computer connected to the network.

Now everything seems fine on the Craigslist EX485.

I am unsure if I will devote any additional time to my original EX487 that has some undetermined issue.

But, I seem to have a replacement MediaSmart server working.

Thanks everyone for the kind help.

Enjoy! Lon

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:21 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Maybe it's just me but it sure seems like the EX-48? servers seem to have a lot of hardware failures, but glad to hear you were able to get up and running again.
Good thing is you have spare parts, like most of us if you are going to stay with this system for a while longer, spare parts is good.
Goodluck

P.S. I don't know if you are running the FREE SMART addin to keep an eye on your drives, but for me it is a must have.
http://dojonorthsoftware.net/HomeServerSMARTClassic.html#all

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:45 pm 

Spare parts and good access to spare parts is always a good thing.

Developing good troubleshooting skills for the MSS unit you have and the OS it runs is also essential.

The word PM for Preventative Maintenance which is basically a series of things you would do to keep your server running well is important.

Protecting your server with a good UPS will help keep it running for many years and when setup correctly helps prevent hard drives from becoming corrupt during power failure where if the power is lost when a hard drive is being written the hard drive becomes corrupt.

Its not so much about the MSS but all computer and server devices. This site is full of useful information on how to keep your server functional for many years and how to troubleshoot issues you encounter. Basically anything you can run into has most likely been discussed here. There are some issues that do occur that are new and often challenging to figure out but sites like this allow a community of people to assist others or to discuss other things that are not always about fixing thing but enhancing ones experience with their server.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:54 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

If your client is windows 7 then try downloading "windows homeserver connector software" from the microsoft site. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=1622

I had a hell of a time connecting to my server until i downloaded it. Connected the first time after i installed it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 pm 

LonDuck wrote:
On the Craigslist EX485:

1) Ran the "Server Recovery Disc" Software

2) Ran the "Software Installation Disk" software on a computer connected to the network.

Now everything seems fine on the Craigslist EX485.

I am unsure if I will devote any additional time to my original EX487 that has some undetermined issue.

But, I seem to have a replacement MediaSmart server working.

Thanks everyone for the kind help.

Enjoy! Lon

I removed the working Seagate 750GB hard drive in the working "Craigslist" EX485 and installed two new Seagate 2TB NAS hard drives. It is now all set up and working fine on my local network.

I also have my original EX487, that failed in some unknown manner and precipitated my initial post to this thread, all squared away by equipping it with the cast off Seagate 750GB drive mentioned in the above paragraph. I will harvest at least one of the two drives pulled from this EX487 for a second drive in this box. This will give me a completely functioning backup box.

I ran the Seagate SeaTools "Long Generic" utility on both of the Seagate 750GB drives from the once problematic EX487 and they tested fine.

So, I am set.

Thanks to everyone for their kind help.

Enjoy! Lon

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:28 pm 

Glad to hear you have both servers functional and that's a good place to be especially if you like the EX48x server and its taking care of your needs. Should you need additional help or desire to share your experiences with your server please feel free to come back.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks