It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:37 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have a x310 with the orginal 1TB drive, 3 x 2TB drives in the server plus an external 2TB drive hooked up to the USD port. I got a couple of health warning about drive 0 and ran the repair like I was told in the error message and it claimed to fix it.

However I then lost connectivity to the console in that none of my computers (desktop & 2 laptops all running windows 7) could connect to the WHS console. I could still access all the shared folders, just no console access. I ran the recover from the disc I got with the system and it claimed it was successful. I cant find the disc to install the WHS console so I download a version of it from MS. When I try and run it I get almost to the end, to the point where it makes me pick between the backup options and then it bombs and claims there was an unknown network error. The server is up and running because going to hpserver in a browser window shows the HP Data Vault page and it is getting the WHS console from the Data Vault. I know this because I have references to HP Data Vault in the install process and I know that did not come from the MS website.

I cannot complete the setup of the WHS software until I get the console connected. All of the LED's on the front bottom are flashing blue if that means anything.

What are my next steps?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:52 pm 

When you opted to repair drive 0 which should be the System Disk the server needs to reboot to perform the repair which involves a CHKDSK and sometimes that can take quite a bit of time to complete. The blinking blue health light is an indication the server has not finished booting and that could in part be due to a CHKDSK.

You didn't mention it or I may have missed it but your Hard Drive LEDs may not be on which is another indication the server has not fully booted.

With the server being headless its a major PITA not knowing what the server is doing. It may show up on your network because your router is seeing an active connection to the server itself.

As for the client software, the best way to install that with a running server is to download it off the server itself using the example http://YourServerNameHere:55000. No need to remove the connector software because when you install the connector software it will remove what was previously installed before installing itself. You may not be able to install the connector software if your server is not fully booted but don't worry about it at this point in time. I know I know easier to say then to do but trust me on this its not worth losing sleep over at this point in time.

What you might do is make a Remote Desktop Connection to the server to see if you can logon to the servers desktop. If you can get there then you can troubleshoot what is going on with your server. You may also be able to get the console to load but only if all the necessary services are active that the console requires to be active. But you can at review the event logs and other windows logs to see if you can pin point this issue at hand. If your not able to make that connection then the server is still in the boot process and it only takes one hard drive with an issue to cause an issue.

Its too late now but the best way to correct a drive issue is to connect it externally to another computer and run a CHKDSK on the drive to correct issues with the drive and if you have a SMART Utility you could also check the health of the hard drive hardware.

At this point in time I would not recommend rushing into a server recovery until you confirm the health of the hard drives and the file system on each drive because you want the hard drives to be in good working order.

Let the server run its course and if your inclined to shut the server down only press and release the power button to see if the server will shut itself down under its own power and if that does not work then press and hold the power button in until the server shuts down. Then pull the drives and connect them to another computer to check them out.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:32 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

All 7 of the led's on the front are alternating between bright and dim, this includes the 4 drive led's. Before I've seen the advice to download the connector software from http://YourServerNameHere:55000, but since I never set the server name I didn't know what to put in. By accident I discovered that it appears the fresh install server name is hpstorage so I downloaded the software from http://http://hpstorage:55000/. I ran into the same problem. I then noticed the WHS toolkit download on the :55000 page and I ran it. The results are below. So the server is up and running as I can view the web page it is serving up on http://hpstorage:55000/ and http://hpstorage/HPHome/. The problem appears to be something with the connector software. I used the disc that is original to the unit, could it need an service pack to work on a windows 7 workstation?

Cannot connect to the server backup
Get help with this issue
The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server
Get help with this issue
Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site
Get help with this issue
No DHCP server, or DHCP server is not reachable
Get help with this issue
Name resolution failed
Get help with this issue
Windows Home Server Beacon discovery failed
Get help with this issue
Windows Home Server Connector troubleshooting article
Read the article
ReadMe for this tool

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:45 pm 

You can't use that Client Software Disk because the client software must match what the server expects for it to work properly.

Is this a new server for you?

Did you or another person perform a Factory Reset on the server?

I ask this because you mention you never set the server name which is something you would do when performing either a Factory or Server Recovery.

What is confusing me is the part about your being told to repair Drive 0 and you mention not naming the server so I need some additional information if this was a running server you were using before with data on it or if its a used system your trying to get started and then what about the other drives which appear to be in the server and why they are there.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Sorry about the confusion on the timeline. I have had this server for several years and several weeks ago I started getting a server health warning that drive 0 needed repaired. I was able to connect to the console and run the drive repair utility. Later I got the red flashing health warning again on the server and I was not able to connect to the WHS via the console on computers that have been attached to this WHS for a long time. However I was able to access all the shared folders.

This went on for a couple of weeks and after doing some online research I decided to do a server restore with the disc that came with the server. I had to try two different computers before I got it to work, I kept getting an error in "step 3 of 4". I never got the option to set the server name as part of the restore. The instructions were to load the WHS console on a desktop to finish the setup. This is the step I can't get past.

Maybe I missed a step. When I look at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... =c01820664 I'm not sure what step 10 is "Complete the server software installation on the computer where you performed the Server Recovery or Factory Reset and all other network computers."

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:33 pm 

What step 10 basically means is to complete the setup on the computer you performed the recovery with because it installs the connector software for you if all goes well. Once the server is setup or reconfigured to your liking then you can go install the connector software by downloading it from your server as described earlier on the rest of your clients.

You may have other drive issues that's preventing WHS from finishing its recovery task and it only takes one to mess things up and its not easy at times using the newer recovery method HP chose to use with the LX19x, EX49x, X310 and X510 and sometimes it takes several tried to get it to work. Some recommend booting in Safe Mode with networking to eliminate any interference from AV software, firewalls and other software which has been know to cause issues with recoveries.

What I recommend is you shut the server down in connect the drives to another computer using an external USB or eSATA connection then perform a CHKDSK on the drives to correct any issues the drives may have. The System Drive must be placed in the lower bay so be sure to mark it and the Storage Pool Drives can be in any bay or any external port just as long as WHS can see them when performing a Server Recovery.

External connections are easier to make and do not cause booting issues with a client if they are connected internal. If you have WindowSMART2013 installed on that computer you can view the SMART data on the drives to determine their physical health as CHKDSK only checks the file system although it will attempt to repair bad sectors. Notice attempt. One thing about WindowSMART2013 is that it may not be able to read your USB Connected Drives but I have had some luck reading USB Connected Drives with it. If you can make the connection eSATA then your good to go. They sell Docking Stations which allow you to easily connect drives to a computer and the better ones have both USB and eSATA options. All you do is plug in the drive then turn it on and likewise turn it off let the drive spin down then eject the drive.

Your System Drive has 2 partitions names SYS and DATA be sure to perform a CHKDSK on both partitions. If you want to view the data on your drives your computer will need to be set to view hidden files and folders. This would be a good time to backup any data you do not have backed up. Your storage pool data can be found in the folder named DE which will be on all your store pool drives which are named DATA and the DATA Partition of your System Drive.

If all your drives check out and your still having difficulties then your will need to perform another server recovery and if your still having issues then it maybe time to replace the System Drive. Sometime the system drive looks clean but for some reason WHS decides it just does not like it in which case if you do retire the system drive just delete the partitions and reformat the drive and repurpose it for other tasks or if its still under warranty return it for replacement.

Much as been written about going through and repairing issues with hard drives so search the forums. Once you get your server running do not be in such a hurry to perform a recovery as there may be other alternatives available to you that will prevent you from going through a recovery headache.

If you have any questions please ask them and I or another will be more then happy to answer them for you. Good Luck and no swearing at your server because I swear they can hear you and their feelings get hurt easily.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:53 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

The data partition of drive 0 had some errors when doing the chkdsk.

I'm still getting a message "an unknown network error has occurred. Please verify that your network connection is active and that your Windows Server is powered on. Then restart this Wizard"

It goes all the way through the install and I am in the wizard doing the setup. It is on the step of setting up the backup service.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:59 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Talked to HP support and they said the backup database is corrupt and at this point it is a factory reset, which of course means I loose all me data. Now I can do the factory reset with only drive 0 attached and copy all the data back to the server, but that is 10TB worth of copying. Is there any way to hook the drives up to my desktop and find the backup files and delete them?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 pm 

Performing a factory recovery is over kill. I would try to install the ADD-IN BDBB and it has an option to delete the entire Client Backup Database which is much easier to do then a Factory Recovery.

Let me know how you make out.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:48 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

How do I install an add-in when I cannot install or access the console?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:53 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

It sure is looking like the original drive 0 is failing. As I'm trying to copy data off of it using an external case it is having problems. chkdsk keeps finding problems. Can I put in a 2TB drive as drive 0? Any drive recommendations?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:21 am 

Sorry about that but a Factory Recovery is an extreme solution but if you can not gain access to the console or can not make a Remote Desktop Connection to the server the issue is difficult to correct. If you had a debug board you might be able to log on to the servers desktop and from there you might have some success in wiping the Client Backup Database.

I found this using Google Search:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/ ... a-backups/

Not sure if it will work but you need to get on the desktop to do it and if you can not make an RPC connection then you would need a DEBUG Board. Even then its no real guaranty you can get on the servers desktop with a normal boot but you could try booting the server into Safe Mode.

You can use any drive 80GB - 2TB in size for the System Drive. The only thing here is to make sure the drive will work properly with a Legacy OS and the newer AF drives are suppose to be backwards compatible but you really need to check with the manufacture to see if their drive will work and there is a difference between a Single and Multi Partition utilization.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

OK I've tried the factory reset using a new system drive and am having the same problem. I get to the section doing the console install asking about doing the backup and get a network error. The frustrating part is the server is up and active, I can see it by going to hpstorage:55000. Any other ideas? It is feeling like some kind of software version problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:13 pm 

OK try installing the client software from the original Client Software CD and see if that works. It should be a match to what the server is expecting you to use. Think of it this way, your server is in the setup condition that it was in when you first took it out of the box. When the client software is installed the Server Setup should resume where it left off just like when you first used your server.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:11 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I can't find a client cd, I already had the WHS client installed on my workstations when I got this unit ( the data vault replaced a home built unit) and do not remember installing the WHS client. I did some kind of reinstall to attach my computers to the new WHS.

I would think downloading the client from the actual WHS would give you the correct version. I wonder if the original version has problems with Windows 7? When I had the server up and running it had installed updates, but I don't know how to install updates without having the console up and running.

The other thing I'm wondering if I have a bad OS image. Is there a place to dl the software from HP? Not the 2011 version but the original version of WHS. This process shouldn't be this hard.

Thanks