It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:50 am 

The client software would not be available for download on the HP Website but Microsoft does have the latest version available for download on their site. Thing is the client software much match what is on the server. You mentioned the client download software link did you try downloading the software from that link?

When you changed servers you would of had to reinstall the Client Software for your computer to join the server. You may have just downloaded it from the server since the Client Software CD may of not matched the version on the server.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:02 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I am downloading the client software from my server. That is what is making this so frustrating. This does mean that a corrupt backup database was not causing this problem like support told me. I'm also starting to wonder is it something on my workstations. I also wonder why there isn't an option to skip this step, what if I don't want to back up this computer to the WHS.

I may have to get the thing-a-ma-bob that let's me plug in a kb & monitor, can someone point me to a source.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:43 am 

If you have drive issues or a corrupt client backup database I believe it would prevent you from installing the client software. With a somewhat working server you could access the server using a Remote Desktop connection but your at a Factory Recovery and need to have the client software installed to configure the server.

If your having issues with one client try another to see if you get a different result. I really hate server recoveries and sometimes they are necessary but I just performed a couple this past weekend on some units that just arrived and needed to be tested before I could find new homes for them.

A Debug Board will take a lot of the mystery out of server issues you will encounter it will also make you very dangerous if you start mucking around with certain things you would not normally have access too outside the console. Having said that I would encourage anyone to get a DEBUG Board because it make troubleshooting so much easier.

As for client backups you can turn backups off for individual clients. After the server is setup if you do not want certain clients to be backed up you can always just create a user account with a matching User Name and Password that's on the client and you still can access the shares its just you will not have the option to backup or get to see the server warnings.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:01 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Is there a default password for the initial install? I'm able to go to http://http://hpstorage/HPHome/ and pull up the console, but it asks for the server password, which I never had a chance to set.

To re-cap, I did the factory restore on a new 2 TB WD Red drive, it is the only drive installed.

The server is up and running based on the fact I can ping hpstorage, I can go to hpstorage:55000 and download the connector software and it will run and download the data from the server and the install goes all the way to setting up the backup option, then I get an "unknown network error".

I get this error on 3 different computers. I've tried hooking a laptop to the server via a hub with nothing else attache and still have the problem.

I've turned off the windows firewall on the workstations.

I cannot get past this "network error" to finish the setup of the server. Was there something else I had to when doing the factory restore? Based on the message on the screen when I did the restore I thought I just had to run the connector software to finish the setup. If I could just access the console I could finish the setup. I've gotten so close, almost able to access the console via the web interface, but now am blocked asking for a password.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:29 pm 

This part is a real bummer when it happens and its happened to me before with the 3.x software on an EX470 which has 2 versions of the HP Software and the recovery process on that server model is different because it can be done over the network or you can connect a client to the server and do the recovery but that's not helping you out.

The method in which you have to connect your client directly to the server to perform the recovery is very sensitive typically people report issues getting past certain steps but your issue is further down the recovery process and all I can think of is to perform another recovery. Thing is the Factory Recovery with only 1 drive is much easier then a Server Recovery with a set of drives. Sometimes you have to wipe out the partitions and reformat the drive other times just to wipe out the partitions and not format the drive to be successful.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well somehow I got the console installed on one of my computers, but of course I don't have the password, how do I reset the console password?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:41 pm 

Only way I know how to do it is from the console itself. I am not sure if there is a default password you can use. Your server may not have been updated properly and is stuck where it is. Unfortunately the only way I know how to resolve this is another recovery. While some may like that new recovery method HP chose to use I never really liked it.

Without my going back to review the entire thread there is a Guide in the sites WIKI on how to perform a recovery but I believe it mentions the EX49x which uses the same recovery method as your server. I believe it entails putting the client you use to recover the server into Safe Mode with Networking to avoid conflicts with AV programs and such.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well I spent another 1.5 hours on the phone with HP support and they don't know what the problem is either. Their suggestion now is to borrow a computer from someone else and try with that one. It's not looking good.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:40 pm 

You have spent quite a bit of time and effort on this. Need to backup a bit and clarify if you attempted a Factory Recovery or not and if not then what I would like for you to do is to take a single drive not one of your existing server drives but a different drive and one which is known to be good or preferably a new drive known to work with WHSv1. Perform a Factory Recovery with that one drive and lets see if it makes a difference. If its a new drive then great but if not make sure you wipe all the partitions off the drive and test it to make sure its in good working order.

I know this is a pain but sometimes its necessary to see if you get a different result. If your successful then there maybe something on your existing server drives causing an issue with a Server Recovery not the Factory Recovery and what that something is hard to say but if it works then maybe you just need to use a different System Drive to perform the Server Recovery.

I will tell you I am not a fan of recoveries and I know there are times when they are necessary. The art of troubleshooting is a process of elimination and in this case its pulling out your existing server drives and trying a new drive to see if you get a different result and from there we can might figure out a solution to get you out of these troubled waters.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I got a new WD 2TB Red drive and tried that and got the same result. I first tried the recovery on the original drive, then a restore and of course i had to do a restore on the new drive. I've tried this using 4 different computers.

One thing I did notice in my recent attempts is that just before it fails the connector install goes to a "not responding" state. I believe it was doing this all along, I just hadn't noticed it. I do have a new set of install CD's coming from HP as this is one of the things I haven't tried changing yet, the server image.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:18 pm 

Some people report they were unable to get disk sets from HP so its nice to see you were able to get a set from them.

Its a major bummer your having to go through all this difficulty getting your server recovered. Its not suppose to be this difficult.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:20 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have had good luck coping the contents of the recovery cd to the desktop of the PC I am using to recover with, sometimes it's a accessing the cd-rom timing thing.
You could also run a error checker on the cd to see if it has become damaged, but if you have new ones coming, that would be a waste of time at this point.

But I have had my best luck by:
Format the new drive and make sure to delete all partitions. (system drive bottom bay)
Direct connection with cat5 to the pc you are going to recover it with.
Copy the contents of the recovery cd to the desktop of the pc you are using to recover it with.
Boot that PC into safe mode with networking and disable the wifi if it is a laptop.
Run the setup in the folder where you copied the cd contents to desktop and follow instructions.
Power the server up, wait for two cycles of red/blue/red/blue press and release the little botton, wait a few seconds and click ok to start the run.

Tip: at each point where it wants you to do something, like click next or click ok to reboot, give it 1 full min. to finish writing to the drive. I have found if you set there and speed click, it will make it get balled up.

Hopefully all will go ok. If you can do this with a known good/new drive then you are one step closer.
Good luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:14 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well I got my new set of disc's and the install went right through. Go figure.

Thanks