It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:04 pm 

I have an HP Media Smart Server EX495, running Windows Server 2003, on a single 1.5 TB drive. The system is only about 1.5 years old and until now I have experienced no issues. However, I fear I may have messed it up royally.

What I Did: (in a nutshell)
    I used Windows Remote Desktop to connect to the Windows Server.
    Opened a DOS CMD Prompt.
    Executed CHKDSK /R (and responded with Y when prompted to schedule this for the next reboot).

What Is Occurring Now:
    On reboot, the System Health Icon (on the front) blinks and the system never finishes booting.
    I've let it run for close to a week... it never seems to complete.

Other Things I've Tried:
    Purchased the VOV board (with VGA output and PS/2 keyboard/mouse), installed it, and found the system succeeds during BIOS and switches video mode to the Windows Home Server loading progress screen.
    This is where it remains, with the progress moving from left to right, and seems to never complete.

Questions:
    I believe Windows will continue to execute the scheduled CHKDSK until it completes. Is this correct?
    If so, is there anyway to cancel the CHKDSK request at the Windows Server level?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And, please forgive me if a similar question has been addressed already, or, if I've posted this to the wrong forum location.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:47 pm 

To clarify one of my questions:
    I meant "On Restart" Windows will continue to attempt the scheduled CHKDSK until it completes. Is this correct?

I've searched the Web and, thus far, have not been able to determine how to do this.

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:33 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I would pull the disk, use a usb dock or usb to sata cable to access the drives with another pc and try to save your data. Then start over again. Sorry, not much help, using the console is a lot better way to go (hind site).

OR here is a google search for ya:
https://www.google.com/search?q=stop+checkdisk+windows+server+2003&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=stop+chkdsk+windows+server+2003&client=firefox-a&hs=Gur&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ei=4wXRUby2NeOlyAHEoYHoBQ&ved=0CBsQpwUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48572450,d.aWc&fp=6e1b4cbf8831ab1e&biw=1024&bih=481

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks