It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:17 pm 

My WHS has been working great for over a year-- couldn't connect the other day and found it with red status light. Rebooted from back button and back it came all fine. Then 2 days later lost again- rebooted and fine. It seems to last a few days then go down. All drives appear healthy and when its up it backs up my PC setc.--Any thoughts?

I do get a bue solid light once it re-boots, and until I see the home Server icon grayed out in my system trya I don't know its off-

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 pm 

Hi bskesq welcome to the forums!

The things which come to mind are as follows:

(1) Are the fans working properly
(2) The CPU could be heating up possibly from a task which might be taxing the CPU
(3) The PSU could be on its way out

I am assuming your running either an EX485 or EX487 and if not could you kindly tell me which server model your running or if you built your server?

Also let me know of any recent changes you have made to the server. These would include any ADD-INs you may have recently installed or any features which you may have recently turned on like the media functions or something simple like file and folder duplication.

If you have recently added any new hardware to the server like hard drives or CPU upgrades that would be helpful too.

If you have recently relocated the server to a new location, does the server have enough breathing room to pull in fresh air and then have enough air space to exhaust the air?

The one thing most people over look is cleaning out the server. Dust build up insulates components and causes them to heat up. Also the area where the rear fans are mounted can get clogged up with all sorts of thing causing a restriction of air flow through the server even if the server appears to be clean the area between the fans and the cage the are mounted on and the back plastic panel are great for collecting all sorts of thing which restrict air flow.

Let me know what you find and hopefully we can figure out a solution for you.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:21 pm 

Thank you so much for the reply-- I was away

I actually have an HP EX 490 I believe-- It was purchased form Costco online as these boxes were being phased out.
Since my post it has stayed up and running without issue.

The fans are fine- the air circulation is fine- and nothing was changed-- it just lost connection an needed to be re-booted a few times I guess.
the status light has remained blue.

the only problem I have now is that one of my PCs wont back up-- fails at 45%- seems like a totally unrelated problem--

THanks for your repsonse!

Barry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:01 am 

From the console you can review Computers and Backups which will provide you some information as to why the client backup failed.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:53 am 

my WHS system has now crashed and is not functioning at all-- who fixes these things?? It doesn't even boot up anymore-- blue light flashes --

Suggestions? I am willing to ship it somewhere for repair.

Please help . . . .

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 am 
Founder
Founder

bskesq wrote:
my WHS system has now crashed and is not functioning at all-- who fixes these things?? It doesn't even boot up anymore-- blue light flashes --

Suggestions? I am willing to ship it somewhere for repair.

Please help . . . .

There are tons of forum posts with issues similar to yours, a search on "flashing blue light" will turn up results as will just browsing the topics in this forum. I recommend you start there, then if you need additional help post a new topic describing your issue in detail as well as any steps you've taken to try and fix it. I'm not aware of anyone providing paid technical support.

Thanks