It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:21 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I've looked at a number of forums and am struggling to understand how to fix the connection problem that has recently arisen.

I have a NetGear 4500 router and can see the HPHomeServer running WHS with no problem. I can't access the server home page using the IP address from my laptop, but I can access it from one of my laptops using remote desktop.

When connected during remote desktop I can bring up the console and see the laptops that have been set up for backups, but none are shown as "connected" now. My last back up was manual two days ago but now that laptop is shown as not connected even though I can access the server via remote desktop.

I've done database back up repair and all is healthy and consistent. I can't get the clean up to work, however.

I've tried reintalling the WHS Connector software while remotely connected to the server and it goes all the way to a logon screen where I enter the user name and password. It whirrs and spins and then gives an error message that it can't finish at the this time and when I click "finish" it backs out the connector installation.

When I access the server contents using Windows Explorer I can see that all the user data files are there and accessible. It's only the back up service and connector that seems to have gone bust.

I HAVE FOUND THE RECOVERY AND RESET DVDS AS WELL AS THE PC CONNECTOR AND SMARTSERVER SOFTWARE THAT WAS IN THE PACKAGING!

Hopefully, I won't have to restart the whole installation.

Anybody come across this before? Any and all help much appreciated.

LenB10p

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:48 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I don't know anything about your router. But I had a similar issue with a dlink. Where using my server name would not resolve or connect. It happened after I flashed the firmware on my router to a newer version.
What I ended up doing was reserve ip numbers for all my units in the house.
Server as well as desktops,media players.
It took a bit to do because I changed the default ip's they were using for DHCP.
Had to reboot a few times.
But the problem went away for me.

It actually ended up better in my case because I know what all the ip's always are now instead of them changing once in a while. And then need to look them up.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:10 pm 

Make another Remote Desktop Connection and check the time and date on the server to make sure it matches the laptops also check the Workgroup Name to make sure that matches as well.

Routers are funny animals at times and are often over looked when troubleshooting network issues. On the other hand for some its the first thing that gets reset but that's mostly when someone loses internet connectivity.

One thing you could do is shut every network device down in your home then turn on the modem, router, server and then try one of your laptops to see if it will connect properly to your server and if so then continue to turn on the other network devices. Sometimes routers get confused and start to mess up.

As for IP numbers I prefer to use static or reserved IP numbers for my devices setup in the router itself, and I keep a listing of them on an excel spread sheet along with all my port forwarding settings which helps me keep track of what is what on my network.

Let me know how you make out.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks