It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:19 pm 

I cannot see my server on the home network. Its been rebooting automatically for past 2 days or so. The health indicator lights are repeating 5 times in the one red, one aqua blue status like in subject line. Then its aqua blue flashing for about 10 seconds and then the sequence repeats..Help please ..

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:49 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

At best you may have a drive failure.
How many of what kind of drives do you have?, do you have duplication turned on? Do you have backups of your data? Which server is it and how old?

Depending on the info, I would be looking to get a new harddrive, prices are high but going down.
you could mark the drives so you know where to put them back, pull and attach them to another PC via a usb dock and check them, you might want to go ahead and grab the data if you have room, I have not had much luck with a recovery.

If you have a bad system drive, you should be able to get a new drive and do a recovery with the other disks in, NOT a reset.
I pull the data and do a reset which will format ALL drive, then copy data back, but thats just me.
Good luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
mnsweeps
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:26 pm 

Gardian wrote:
At best you may have a drive failure.
How many of what kind of drives do you have?, do you have duplication turned on? Do you have backups of your data? Which server is it and how old?

Depending on the info, I would be looking to get a new harddrive, prices are high but going down.
you could mark the drives so you know where to put them back, pull and attach them to another PC via a usb dock and check them, you might want to go ahead and grab the data if you have room, I have not had much luck with a recovery.

If you have a bad system drive, you should be able to get a new drive and do a recovery with the other disks in, NOT a reset.
I pull the data and do a reset which will format ALL drive, then copy data back, but thats just me.
Good luck

Gardian

Its about 3 years old..Both my drives are Seagate and they are 750GB and 1500 GB respectively. I have all my data backed up on Carbonite so I am good there. I am honestly thinking of removing the 2 SATA drives and selling the server. How much do you think would I get for the server without the HD on ebay ?

I do not have a USB docking station. Is http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-3-5-SATA-Hard-Drive-HDD-TO-eSATA-USB-DOCK-STATION-/220918509155?pt=Laptop_Docking_Stations&hash=item336fc4ee63 this a good one ?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:37 am 

I got a USB docking station from Frys last night. Then I ran CHKDSK /r on the boot drive and it ran fine ..was done in 1 hour. I can access the drive in explorer fine and all files look fine. Then I popped the drive back in the WHS and the reboots started. It keeps rebooting no matter what I do even after finding that the drives are good !! Please help !

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:00 am 
Founder
Founder

It sounds like you only checked the boot drive, did you check all drives?

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
mnsweeps
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:10 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Also, the system drive has a patition, (like 2 drives) I'm not sure you checked it completely.

The only problems I have had, really, is power supply and seagate harddrives.
Now that I have good power supply and got rid of the seagate drives, life is good, have had 0 downtime.

As far as selling, unless you know whats wrong, you may not get much out of it. You could sell it for parts, but if you can figure out whats wrong and get it working, it would be worth lots more.

I would not give up to quick, Great job on the backup! Most people find out the hard way.
Let us know what you find.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
mnsweeps
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:40 pm 

Yes I checked all the drives. In fact I removed all the drives completely. I then restarted the server and guess what. It keeps rebooting. The power comes on and then a few blinks and then the machine shuts off again and then reboots..The cycle continues. I call HP tech support on Friday and they mentioned if its rebooting WITHOUT ANY HARDDRIVE in any bays, then most likely the power supply has gone for a toss. HP said the entire cost for replacing the power supply including the s*h would be around $130. If thats not the problem then the cost may go as high as $250 - $300 :-(

So now I am looking for a power supply and planning to do it myself. any tips on getting a PS and install?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:21 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Here is a link to the best replacement power supply that I know of. I put one in my 470, works great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-mediasmart-server-power-supply-media-smart-EX470-475-485-487-490-495-PSU-/280828372651?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item4162ace6ab

If you are up for changing this, then you might take a look at yours now and see if it has anything blocking the air supply or see if the fan has stopped.
But having a spare power supply on hand is not a bad thing, it seems like most will need one sooner or later.
If you have never taken it apart, go careful, it is very easy, but, when detaching the harddrive backplane don't break anything off. Go slow, go easy.
There are plenty of guides to changing it.
goodluck

If you send to HP, could you let us know how that goes, time wise and money wise, it would be nice to know for those who don't want to work on it themselves.

Thanks