It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:10 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I upgraded the memory but that was in the first week that I had it.

Does anyone know if the helpdesk is available nights and weekends?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:35 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

ARG! I decided to bite the bullet and do server recovery. Went through the first part fine and the screen for server setup comes up, but it says not to click next until you have a solid blue health light. Mine has been blinking for over 10 minutes now. Just blue but blinking.

edit: Waited about 40 minutes and still had the blinking blue light so I did server recovery again. Now I am at the same place with the blue light, going on 20 minutes. I can hear the hard drive churning though. I am going to bed and I guess if it's not a solid blue in the morning, I will have to call HP.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:41 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

When I woke up this morning it had a solid purple health light and both hard drive lights were solid purple. That screen I was at said click next when the light was solid blue or purple so I did and it installed NET Framework, HP Update, and the Connector.

Now it's on "Server initializing, please wait..." and has been for over an hour. Hopefully this is progress. The drives are still churning away. I have to leave for the day soon so will deal with the rest later.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:03 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Well I'm right back where I started... can't connect via the console but I can RDC. And I can't configure it through the console via RDC because I keep getting errors when trying to set up accounts. :-(

Calling HP is not what I wanted to do on my birthday.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:46 pm 
Mr. XXX

All of a sudden Im having the same problems as you are. Im gonna start messing with it and Ill let you know if I come up with something

CFI ESata 4 Bay Enclosure
San Digital 4 Bay Enclosure-USB ( for backup )
3 Apple TVs - Streaming from MSS
2 Xbox 360 - Streaming from MSS

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:12 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I managed to get the console to connect, but this thing is more screwed up than ever. I can't assign user accounts to any to of the shares. When I try to, I get this Message:

Code:
Exception From QSM in Set User Share Permissions

When I look at Shared folders it shows "Missing" on the two where I did not have duplication enabled. On the rest where I do have duplication enabled, they show "Failing (Check Health)."

On the server storage tab, it sits there with "calculating sizes" forever.

I went through resetting owner permissions as described here and it did not help.
http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHome ... &SiteID=50

When I RDC on to the server I can see that all my data is there. I just don't know what else to do at this point.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:21 am 
Founder
Founder

MeSue wrote:
I managed to get the console to connect, but this thing is more screwed up than ever.

Can you elabote here? How did you suddenly get the console to connect? Did you change something?

Depending on how many drives and how much data you have on your system, it can take a very long time for server recovery to complete. Keep in mind it has to very all data and potentially rebuild tombstones, so I'm not surprised this took a while.

After you performed the server recovery, you must have been able to connect with the Console to perform the initial configuration, correct? Did you rename your server at that point? If so, it should have rebooted (should likely have rebooted after installing updates anyway). Is this the point where the connector on your PC no longer connects?

Do you have any other PCs in the home that you can try?

If you're getting errors about failed shares, and the calculating folder sizes is timing out, I believe there's something broken with WHS. I'd probably recommend another Server Recovery...

Edit: I'm currently moving and have very limited access to internet, as well as time, so will try to watch this thread but I may be delayed in replying, sorry...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:59 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I got to the part where you name the server and assign a password. Then I didn't go through the setup assistant because I wanted to set it back to the same static IP that I had before (through the router, not the MSS). I thought I could do that and come back to the assistant later. So I had to restart the server a couple of times to get the IP address back to what it was. It was during that process where the console would not connect, but I restarted the server once more and then it was able to connect but with all these problems.

I tried installing the connector from my husbands PC and it gets as far as configuring backup and then tells me the backup service is not running, to reboot the server and try again.

Also on hold with HP. They seem stumped...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:52 am 
Founder
Founder

Hmm, how were you restarting the server during the time you were configuring the static IP? Through the console? And then one time when it came back up you could no longer connect via the console?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:21 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I restarted through the console the first time, but then when I wasn't able to restart through the console I did it through RDC. When I connected by RDC, there was a message about updates so I installed the updates and it needed a restart so I did it from the Windows Update prompt. Then I still could not connect to the console, so I did a shut down through the start menu, left it off for a few minutes, then restarted with the power button. That time it got the static IP from the router and I could then load the console again, but with all these problems.

HP had me turn off duplication on the shares that had it enabled. That changed the status to healthy, but the 2 shares where I never had duplication still show "Missing."

Under server storage, both drives show "Not Added." The primary drive has all three options (Add/Remove/Repair) disabled. The second drive only has remove enabled.

Network status shows "critical" and when I click the icon it shows 3 problems:
- Backup service is not running.
- Duplication is failing for shared folder: Photos. There are file system problems.
- Duplication is failing for shared folder: Videos. There are file system problems.

Those are the two shares where I did not have duplication enabled before.

HP said they would have to do more research on the problem and would call me back later today.

I also realized later that I didn't complete all the steps in that Microsoft article on resetting owner permissions. I did the part on resetting owner information but not the second part on resetting security permissions. I am doing that now, and then I will need to restart. It takes a long time because I have like 500,000 files on one of my shares.

So that is where I'm at right now.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:31 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Here's the email I got from HP this morning:

Quote:
I have researched this issue for you and based on the problems that are showing up on your server, it appears that the OS is beyond the ability of a Server Restore to fix and a Factory Reset is required to restore full functionality to the system.

Pretty much what I was expecting.

So here is the plan in my head:

I have 2 x 500GB drives in the system. All my data should fit on one of the drives. I'd like to shift all my data to one of the drives. Pull it out of the machine and set it aside so my data remains safe, and do the factory reset with only one drive in the system. Then once setup is finished and I know all is well, put the data drive back in without adding it to the storage pool, copy the data into the shares, and then turn duplication back on.

So what is the best way to shift all my data to one drive? Turn off duplication and remove it through the console? Assuming that works with the way everything is screwy...

JesD, have you made any progress?

Thanks  
 Post subject: Having a terrible time!
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:06 pm 

I don't know if this is related to issues on this thread, but I can't log in via the console anymore unless I restart the server. I can always RDT in. When I emote in, the server reports that the sys volume is full. I tried the disk clean up routine, it doesn't do much.

I have had no trouble with my sstem until last weekend. I installed speedfan, messed around with it, and uninstalled it. No server health warnings appear. Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks, JCB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:33 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

jcb wrote:
Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks, JCB

I hope your troubleshooting goes better than mine did. If your sys volume is filling up, you might want to check the size of the search index. Especially if you have several hundred files on the server. At one point mine got to over 7 gigs until I excluded one of my shares from indexing. Then when I installed Windows Desktop Search 4.0 Preview the index was much smaller.

Good luck.

Thanks  
 Post subject: RE: Terrible time
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:05 am 

Thanks for the advice. Where are the index files located? Also, is it ok to just disable the indexing? I really don't care about fast searching, but I'm not sure if something else depends on the service.

Thx. JCB

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:16 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

If you right click the little magnifying glass in the taskbar on the desktop of the MSS, you can go to search options, then click advanced and it shows you the index location.

Keep in mind that removing the index will remove your ability to search for files through the remote access web site.

Thanks