It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: ex490 connection issue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:01 pm 

hello.

I have an ex490 and about a week ago, I lost connection to the server and my server indicator icon is grey.

I power cycled the server and was able to connect again but only for about 2-3 minutes (best guess) and then I wasn't able to connect again.

I'm wondering if this is a system disc issue, OS, a storage drive or combination of maybe some or all of these?

thank you

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:19 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

On the front of the server, does the network idicator light (middle light) stay illuminated, or is it off?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:44 pm 

I will check when I get home but, I'm 99% all of the lights were on as it would have pulled my attention when I was looking over it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:53 pm 

Yes, the power lights are on. If I power off/on the shares are available for about 3 minutes before they're no longer available but, I am able to ping the server after it isn't accessible.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:51 pm 

Hi nabuille welcome to the forums and happy new year.

Have you tried using Remote Desktop Connection to connect to your server? If you can get to the servers desktop then you can access the console and check the event logs. Most important check the time and date settings on the server to make sure they are correct.

Good Luck and let me know what you find out.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 am 

Hi and thank you.

I was not able to RDP to the box either.

Last night, I did a system restore and must have done something wrong as after it was done, I couldn't connect using the connection software. Figuring I did something wrong, I tried a restore again and it would fail on random steps, 1-4.

This morning, I put in a new HDD and did a factory restore which worked but once it was completed, I waited on the server reboot but the light never went blue...it would stay white. At that point, I tried the connection software and then it went to a solid red light. I rebooted and it went to a 4red/1blue blinking which I found to indicate the restore didn't take. Again, I must have missed something...

At this point, it is in the process of doing another factory restore and I'm curious on a couple things:

1) Online instructions says to wait before hitting the "Finish" button until I've installed connection software.
2) The software says to hit Finish so the server reboots and then install connection software.

...which is it?

Also, I am at work doing this so the server isn't on my network. Does it need to be to run the connection software or do I run the connection software from the direct PC/Server link first and then connect other PCs while on my network?

I hope that all makes sense and thank you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:54 am 

Update:

I went with the software prompt to hit "Finish" so the server would reboot. I was waiting, as it indicated, for the lights to go white (up to 5 minutes for reboot) but it did not. The white/red recovery light just continued to blink for about 5-10 minutes and then it went solid red.

I hit the power button and the server turned off right away, without having to hold the button for 4 seconds. I'm guessing it's not really booting the OS but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:00 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'm guessing it didn't finish the recovery. You can press the health button with a paperclip when the LED is solid red to see if it gives an error code (look up the code in the Wiki). Or try the Server Recovery again.

Thanks