It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:22 am 

The part of the recovery where it indicates the server will reboot several times and then after a few minutes will then send another message to continue is in my opinion somewhat of a time delayed message. This is where WHS performs the initial setup and obtains updates. Obviously the more time that passes the more updates it may have to download and install and thus the longer these tasks will take. For me this is a very frustrating if you have no video which leaves the end user scratching their heads and often forcing a power down of the server which means the process may have to be repeated.

The last WHS v1 server recovery I had to perform was actually a Factory Recovery because I gave me GF a server and wanted her to start off with a fresh install and wanted her to see a recovery to help her understand the process. Now this was a fully functional server with no reported issues but the System Drive proved to be difficult and caused a very long time for the recovery. I opted to replace the System Drive and the recovery went fairly quickly. So here its not an update delay but a drive integrity causing the delay. Having a Debug Board allows you to see what the server is actually doing but to interpret what is happening you must be familiar with the recovery process.

Anyway if you check your routers DHCP listing you can identify what is going on with your EX485. When the EX485 is in its recovery mode it will identify itself with a device name MININT followed by other things. After the reboot process where you are now the device name will change to HPSERVER or HPSTORAGE depending on which version of the HP software your running but certainly the device name will start with HP.

If the server reboots and its name is still MININT then there is something wrong with your System Drive or the BIOS for some reason wants to boot from its SMI Area which some EX48x users have experienced which means the BIOS needs to be corrected either using a DEBUG board or connecting a keyboard and performing a blind reset of the BIOS which I am not quite familiar with for the EX48x but there maybe a procedure on how to do this in the WIKI or the forums if you search for it.

If the name of the server begins with HP then you will need to wait it out and let it run its course. The client software will be the key to finishing off the recovery. You will need to install the client software from the Client Disk unless the client software was installed during the Server Recovery Process. Pont worth noting here is the recovery process will pickup where it left off once the server is ready to be setup again.

I do understand this is a nerve racking situation but I have provided you with quite a bit of information to help you determine what's going on with your server.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

After getting the message about reboots I click on Finish and left the computer alone to see if anything happens. Nothing happens, so I put in the software installation CD. I run the Windows Home Server Connector and it says it is locating my server. Then a window pops up momentarily and says it is downloading software from my server. Almost immediately I get a window that says, 'The operation cannot ne completed. Try again later.' This is as far as I can get.
I did check and my router says it sees HPSERVER and has given it an IP address.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:04 pm 

Give it some time everything looks as it should. While its not clear what your server is actually doing it could be updating or rebuilding the storage pool meaning its just reading the tombstone files. Longest time period I spent restoring an MSS was 6-8 hours before I could begin to configure it. I swear sometimes its best to do these long processes right before you go to bed so that hopefully they will be done when you wake up.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:17 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I let the server sit for a couple of hours and then tried to run the WHS Connector software from the recovery CD. I got past the error message and the connector software loaded from the server. Now I am at a screen that says, 'An error occurred while joining the WHS network. The wizard cannot be completed at this time. Restart WHS , and then run this wizard again. If the problem persists, contact Product Support.' I restarted the server and clicked the back arrow. I keep getting the same error message. I will quit the install and try to run it again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I closed a couple of open Windows on my PC and there was a screen asking for my server password. I entered the password and the WHS connector icon appeared and it was green. I tried to log in and got a message the the computer cannot connect to the server. I checked my network connections and checked my router. The server has an IP and can be seen by the router. I am going to let the server sit and see if anything happens. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:14 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I forgot to tell you that I can ping the server's IP from my computer.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:42 pm 

I hate it when the windows get hidden behind things when your input is required.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:54 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I waited several hours and was able to complete the WHS connector install. I am happy to say that my server seems to be working now. I was able to successfully backup my computer. Tonight when the server is scheduled to automatically backup my computer will be the final test. I really appreciate all your help. I could not have done it without you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:41 pm 

Great to hear your server is functioning. Should you need help in the future please come back again. The forums here are packed with useful information on not only troubleshooting but how to get the most out of your server and most important how to keep your server running well.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:10 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

One of the original hard drives in my server died. I guess the testing I did on the drives was not thorough enough. I replaced the drives with two new 1Tb Western Digital Red NAS drives. I did a factory install on the drives. I am experiencing different problems trying to complete the install. After the files are copied the server reboots and all of the lights on the server (drive and system) pulsate blue. I cannot get the install to complete. Any suggestions?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:19 pm 

Can you check the routers DHCP listing to see what the name of the server shows up as? The drive lights breathing blue are just an indication they need to be added to the storage pool. The System Drive blinking blue means the server has not finished booting but when the server does finish booting the drive lights go active again so I am curious if the server is just waiting to be configured which means the Client Software needs to be installed.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks