It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:09 am 

I have been happily working with Win XP all these years and now "upgraded" myself to Windows 8 PC. And I am lost. very simple task of adding this new Win 8 client PC to my HP EX 485 has flummoxed me. Basically when I set up the new PC, it created a home group with a password. This PC and EX 485 on on same network Through explorer I can access EX 485 and its folders except software folder. It does not allow me to navigate to that folder so that I can run setup.exe file and add this PC to my EX 485 for normal backups et al. It said that EX 485 software folder is not allowing me access. I thought of exiting the home group and set up local access on this new pc using same user id and password as is admin access on EX 485. However that too is not working. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:46 am 

Windows 8 when you first run it prefers to use your Windows Live Account to make things easier much like Google and its Android OS. I am by no means a Windows 8 person and only ran it for a short period of time. While I am not certain about this I do believe and if I am wrong on this I hope others will jump in and correct me but what I believe is its the Windows Live Account Association that might be causing your issues.

Others have responded to your other posts indicating they currently use WHS v1 to backup their Win8 Clients so the question to ask them is do they use their Windows Live Accounts or did they work around this.

If your trying to load the software onto the Win 8 client using the supplied client disk that came with your server then that might be a problem since that's software is out of date and its better to connect and download the most current software from the server itself using the example http://your_server_name:55000

Now I might be totally wrong on my assumptions here so ask those who have already replied to your other posts on how they got the client software to install and if they had to work around the Windows Live Account association to do so.

My next build will be a duel boot system for Win 7 and 8. When I did this the last time I had everything backing up from the Win 7 side which took care of the Win 8 side so I never bothered to install the client software in Win 8.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks