It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:40 am 

I've just replaced my third WD FASS 2001 2TB Caviar Black HHD in the last year, each time they failed they were in the Drive 1 (OS) position... extremely frustrating to say the least. I have gotten quite good at recovering, but am quite fed up with it. I back my data up on external USB drives, so all has not been lost, yet, luckily. I also use folder duplication, so I have had good luck there.

Previously I have done a Factory Recovery and reloaded the data back to the server via the external drives, slow and tedious, but it works.

So this time I bought a SSD drive, 128 GB Samsung 830 and decided I was going to run a recovery and see what happened. Oddly enough, it recovered, with one hitch, it thinks the OS drive is still the Western Digital 2TB drive, but with 128GB. The capacity is correct, but the drive is name is not. The files seem to be all available, from what I can tell. Obivously, b/c the initial HDD died and it is the OS drive, I could not run the drive removal wizard. I am periodically getting strange Backup warnings, but in the end run the the "Repair..." from the "Backup Cleanup and Database Repair" section of the "Backup" Tab found in the "Windows Home Server Settings" dialog, and it reports the Server as healthy once more. Have I done something that I shouldn't have, or is this acceptable? Is the SSD being named wrong, just an issue with the Server Storage UI and not the backup files or tombstone files?

Thanks in Advance,

Jacob

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:01 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

WD blacks are a Die Hard drive in my opinion.
Meaning it is strange you have multiple failures.
I wonder if your power supply has issues.
Or a fan is not working and allowing the drive to over heat.
A faulty PSU could also be the cause of some but not all of your other issues

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:30 pm 

I agree with your statement about the WD Black Caviar drives, this was why when I built my server I went with them over the Greens... environement be damned. :wink:

But seriously, I have NEVER had such a rash of drive failures, and I work with in IT every day.

So, to your suggestion of a PSU issue, I think you may have something there. I have been monitoring the temperature for the life of my server and it is not temp... but voltage, you may have something there.

Thanks for your insight.

Jacob

Thanks