It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:49 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I recently had my system drive fail and I was able to succesfully recover the server to a new drive, however I did this without the data drives in.

I read in Cougar's post in another thread that stated, "If you do the recovery without the data drive(s) in they wont be rebuilt into the pool. Your data will be intact but you would need to copy them back to the server. You need the disks in when you do the recovery, just be sure to jumper the drives as per the instructions ( believe the post above is correct and it is 7 and 8 for the blacks)"

So do I need to backup all the data from my eight extra hard drives and then add each one to the pool or am I able to recover the server again but this time with the data drives attached?

I'd like the safest solution as I am paranoid as I don't have the data backed up to the cloud or anywhere else (It was duplicated on the server and all data drives are fine).

Thanks in advance.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:06 am 

Protecting your DATA should be your #1 goal and being parinoid is not a bad thing. Your data is safe and you can find it by attaching your drives to a client and set the client to be able to view Hidden Files and Folders. Your data will be in the hidden folder DE on your storage pool drives.

I would recommend you backup your data to a media of your choice but not all data we store is important but only you can determine what is and what is not important. A true backup means you have more than one location to obtain your data the server would be a location another would be say on a client but better if the data is stored say offsite say on backup drives, the cloud or optical media. Files that can be found on the internet or easily obtained from other sources is generally not important data because they are eaily obtainable but again the choice is yours.

Server recoveries are performed everyday without issue and when issues arrise then those individuals will come to sites like this to seek help. I have performed my fair share of server recoveries for one reason or another and I never take them lightly because WHS is sensitive to drive issues. With this in mind I always have a need to know if my drives are in good working order so I would encourage you to verifiy the drive are in good working order but with 8 drives its time consuming. Running a simple chkdsk on the drives while attached to a client will help you to determine if the drives are in good working order and if they need to be repaired in which CHKDSK /r comes in handy.

In addition to CHKDSK there is a new program out that you can install called WindowSmart2012 which will examine the SMART Data on your drives and let you know what condition they are in. http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/TBM/WindowSMART.aspx

The issue you have with 8 drives is just how much data do they contain and can you easily back the data up to other drives or media. Some like to install new drives into their servers and simply copy the data back to the server and then backup the data to a location of their choice then when the drive is free and the data safely moved they will then install the drive back into the server as a storage pool drive and keep repeating until they have gone through all the drives. This is very time consuming and can be expensive but it will also provide you with the peace of mind you require and will certainly allow you to protect your data. Once you have your data in 2 locations and you continue to store data both on your server and another location then later down the road performing a normal Server Recovery will give you piece of mind knowing your data is safe because its on both your storage pool drives and on the server.

However data organization is equally important and will require a great deal of thought but again not all data is important but only you can determine what is and what is not important.

Keep in mind that when Microsoft write WHS they did have keeping your data safe in mind when they designed the recovery process and so long as you use Server Recovery then WHS will rebuild your storage pool for you. WHS will need to see all your storage pool drives and they must be in good condition for the recovery to work properly otherwise it can end up becomming a very frustrastating task which is why I highly recommend you take the time to verify your drives are in good working order.

At this time I would recommend you give your options some thought and determine which way you want to takle this task. I recommend copying your data to a safe location then add a drive to your server and copy the data to the server and then add the drive your working with to your storage pool. Its time consuming and can be expensive but in the end you will be better off doing it this way because it will provide you with piece of mind.

Good Luck and protecting your data is Job 1....

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
ironfan72
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Comp1962,

Thanks for the extensive reply.

The 8 drives cover about 14Tb and I think about 10Tb of that was used but as everything was duplicated, I guess I have about 5Tb of data to deal with.

In copying the data back I assume I only need to copy the 5Tb back and the server will do the duplication again, right? However even that will take a significant amount of time.

Peace of mind vs time? :-k

I guess peace of mind wins!

Last edited by ironfan72 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:03 pm 

When you think about it, if you take the time to copy the data to the server and another location for backup and you take this approach in the future then if you encounter and issue with your server that peace of mind will still be there because your data will be on the server and in another location and media you have access too.

Yes its time consuming but down the road you will have a totally different outlook about your data.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks