It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:26 pm 

Hi Folks,

I have a problem with my HP Mediasmart EX490 (WHS 2003).... all remote connections stopped working recently and I could only get back onto the server via RDP / WHS Connect for a few minutes after forcing a reboot.

I tried several reboots to try and review logs to see why remote connections were getting rejected but eventually recovered the server from the restore disk, initially just the system partition, but eventually a full restore.

After a few days of working fine, the system patched itself and the problem reappeared. I now only connect to the server via RDP WHS connect for a few minutes after powering it off and on again and am unable to get on to the server long enough to find out what is causing the connections to get dropped after the reboot process completes.

Is there a way to connect directly to the server, without going via a router?

Any advise greatfully received.

Thanks,

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:02 pm 

Can you try booting the server with only the System Drive installed in it. Now you will get alot of ERRORS and ALERTS from WHS but just ignore those for the time being those only occur because your storage pool drives are not connected. See if the server will run for a longer period of time allowing you to make a connection and to review the server event logs from your previous attempts to run the server to see if you can pin point whats going on.

What I suspect is that one of your storage pool drives maybe causing the problems with WHS and if I am correct then your server will stay running until you shut it down. If I am correct then shut the server down and install 1 storage pool drive and reboot. Keep doing this until the problem occurs again then shut the server down and pull the drive with the issue off to the side and resume the drive installation until you have gone through all the drives. Then shut the server down.

If you have drives out that caused the issue all you need to do is install them in a PC and run CHKDSK on them. At the same time I would urge you to install a program WindowsSMART2012 to examine the health of the drive(s) which you can download from the link below:

http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/

If the CHKDSK can repair the drive(s) then again install them one at a time and go through the boot and reboot process until all the drives are back in your server. If a drive has failed then you will need to remove it from your storage pool if there is enough room on the other storage pool drives to store the data and if not then you will need to replace the drive adding the new drive to the storage pool then removing the missing drive.

Good Luck and please let me know what you find or if you need additional help.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
andyoakes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:38 pm 

Hi comp1962,

Thanks for your advice.... its taken me a few days to get back round to looking at this, but it does seem as though a faulty drive was causing the failure.

I have just finished running the utilities you suggested on each drive from my EX490 and have been able to get the server to stay up for a good 3/4 of an hour and counting - early days but looking promising.

Many, many thanks for your suggestion.

:cheers:

Andy

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 pm 

Andy just keep a close eye on it for the next few days. Its times like this when we really get to know our servers which can only be done via observation. Good Luck and I hope things work out for you.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks