It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:49 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Recently upgraded my EX490 memory (Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model 991762), and CPU intel q9550. Now the server shuts down and restarts constantly, can't get it to stay on. Would this be from a bad memory stick or a bad CPU?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:27 pm 

Unfortunately you need to go through a process of ellimination. I would dissassemble the unit but while doing so I would examine the top of the backplane to make certain the connections there are proper. Take great care when extracting the backplane as many have knocked off capacitors while inserting or extracting. I would examine the backplane for damage. When pulling out the PSU/Motherboard Assy I would examine the seating of the RAM just to verify its seated properly.

Now if you can find nothing wrong at this point I would remove the RAM and Processor and reinstall the original RAM and Processor but at this point in time I would look at the processor pins on the motherboard to make certain none are damaged.

Once you reasseble everything the point here is to verify the server is in good working order at which time you can then swap out the RAM for the new RAM, reassemble and verify the units working. If its functional then the issue would be with the processor which could be defective or possibly the application of thermal paste or possibly poor seating. You could them make another attempt to install the processor just to rule it out one last time but if you get the same result then it would be the processor.

Now if the RAM causes the issue and its the easier to replace then install the orignal RAM and the new processor and see what happens. Unfortunately its a process of ellimination and there are actually 3 things to rule out, RAM, CPU and Assembly so being observant is very necessary when you dissassemble your unit because if you miss something then you may be swapping components for nothing if it was a simple assembly issue.

Good Luck and I really hope its just a simple assembly issue but you will not know until you go through everything which can be very time consuming its your not use to working on the internals of your server. I can almost do it blind if it were not for those 2 small screws from hell in the front grill and if I were you I would not install them till I find out what the problem is, just let the front grill and lower LED board just hang there until your done cuz those 2 small screws are demon possessed I tell ya.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I rma'd the memory - Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) because it seemed as though that was the problem. I just got he new memory in and it seems like its shutting down because the temps are hitting 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this really possible? Could the new memory cause it to overheat this much? Or could it be that I have to change a setting somewhere?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:43 am 

The Q9950 processor may be the cause of the heat issue so swap out the CPU with the orignal and see if it makes a difference. Again its a process of ellimination. If you start by reinstalling the original CPU and RAM and things work out well then you will know your server is fine. The RAM is the easiest thing to remove so if you then swap out just the RAM you can see what difference it will have on the server. If all goes well at this point then it comes down to the processor.

I overlooked the CPU # being a Q9550 which is a 95w processor and you would probably have better luck with the Q9550S which is a 65W processor but might be hard to find. Others have used a variety of the QxxxxS processors but the key here is the S designation which are typically 65w.

In any MSS model the lower the CPU wattage the better off your going to be so put the original CPU back in, rule out the RAM then seek out a more favorable CPU for your server and before you purchase a CPU I would perform a site search for that CPU to see what the experiences others have had with it.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks