It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:22 am 

I just installed my mediasmart system and overnight backed up 2 PCs. When I tried to look at the contents of a backup, using the restore function on the console, it hangs at 79% complete!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:52 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I am having the exact same issue! Just hangs at 79%. I've restarted the server and my computer. Same issue. I hope this can be resolved, because what's the use of a backup you can't access!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:11 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

here's what's popping up...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:03 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

It finally worked...while on the phone with the HP guy! He didn't even do anything it just finally started moving again! I guess I jumped the gun a little fast. It was just going so smoothly, and then FREEZE. I waited a good 7-10 minutes before it moved again. He suggested connecting directly with and ethernet cable to your router instead of communicating wirelessly, like I was doing. Either way, I feel like I can breathe again!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:55 am 
Founder
Founder

Also note that there is a difference between single file restore (which you were attempting to do) and PC restore, which allows you to restore the entire image should your client PC HDD crash.

aw4, did yours ever complete?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:39 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

So if the PC were to crash...how do I use that disc in conjunction with the MSS? Do you connect your PC directly to the MSS?

Another question...If you were to delete some system operating files, say a driver or something, could you just use the PC restore disc to take you back to your last backup? In the case when you don't know which exact file you screwed up? I know someone that does this sometimes, say whith her network drivers... :oops: (like maybe I just did it!, but fortunatly I fixed the issue, but would if I couldn't...would that be a time to use the disc?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:17 am 
Founder
Founder

I'll refer you to the help documents on how to do the PC restore, but basically you just boot the client PC off the restore disk that came with your server and it'll load the backup over the network.

Yes, you could do what you propose in order to restore the system to a state prior to deleting important OS files. :oops:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:48 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

A small note on the restore via network. Be sure you have a good solid (fast) connection to the server. I've been imaging over the network for many years and have see a few cases of corruption. I'm not sure what method they are using (file to file, or image based). Either way, I would hope they had some sort of error correction.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of connection do you have between your PC and the MSS?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'm pretty sure I recall her saying she had wireless...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:54 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Yeah, I guess I should clarify. What speed? 54mb I'm assuming...

Another reason I'm upgrading to N soon.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:48 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Is N another type of wireless router like G? What do all those letters mean? :lol: I'm looking to purchase a new router soon any recommendations? I guess I need something to work with my vonage. I have two routers right now, a linksys wrt54g wireless and a linksys broad band phone router. I can not get them to work together to get my remote access working. I've spent countless hours on the phone with linksys. Today while talking to one of HP's tech support, he suggested forwarding the ports on the Voip router to the wireless router then from the wireless to the server. I thought I might get lucky...I didn't :( . So I need to find something that does both so I only have to use one router. Going through both seems to be getting a little tricky. Anyway, I was thinking maybe this...
http://www.vonage.com/device.php?type=V ... ore_VT2542

Any better suggestions let me know!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:00 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Yes N is the new faster standard... I need to get one but haven't yet. This is a good Ars Technica article reviewing some top N routers. Worth taking a look...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:06 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Dlink has the best wireless routers. I was on a trusty Linksys WRT54G for several years but it started flaking out with some newer laptops.

So I upgraded to a Dlink DGL-4300 (Wireless G/B). I have a Vonage adapter plugged into it as well. It works flawlessly.

But Wireless G speed (54mbps) is just not fast enough for me since I transfer a LOT of data to the MSS.

Out of the latest routers running Wireless N (draft) the Dlink ones perform the best! Check the reviews.

I am going to pick up a DGL-4500 next year as well as the DAP-1555 (wireless bridge) for the office in the back. The vonage adapter should work quite well because it has built in QOS (quality of service) that monitors traffic and prioritizes for quality. :)

*Don't worry, it's all automatic* :wink:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:14 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thank you! So what exactly is the phone adapter? Do I get that from vonage? If I go to the N, do I have to upgrade the wireless card on my laptop? I don't do much transferring of data. Just a routine back up here and there, so I don't need to spend a lot for the newest thing out there. I guess what you said sounds good about the Dlink DGL-4300. So basically I just need to purchase that and get a phone adapter and I should be remote accessing in no time? :D Or will this http://www.vonage.com/device.php?type=V ... ore_VT2542 do the same thing (getting me remote access, and eliminating a router) just cheaper?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:33 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I have a linksys vonage adapter. It plugs into my router and my cordless phone plugs into it. The base also has a few other handsets that I placed throughout the house. Works like a champ.

Upgrading to Wireless N shouldn't cause you to upgrade your wireless card. Wireless N can run in mixed mode that allows Wireless G to run as well.

I checked out that router from Vonage. I would seriously recommend staying away from anything that is bundled together. Having a separate adapter means you can replace it easier if it breaks rather than the whole router.

I have been using this one for about two years.

What do you mean by needing remote access?

Thanks