It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:03 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hello, so I wanted to backup my laptop...something that I haven't done for years. I removed my old 'computers/names' that were listed in the WHS console via RDP/Admin account so I can start fresh. My laptop name has changed many times over the course of the years so the old backup were no longer required.

I installed the connector software on the same laptop i've been using since day 1 with this MSS, but now I am on W7 Enterprise as the OS. I tried to log into the console and it says password does not match what it has in the console. So I changed my computer name to match it letter by letter, case by case to what WHS has. I made both the laptop password and my WHS console password the same. The password hint I created it something new to make me remember these changes.

When I open the WHS connnector, it still says the password is incorrect. It refers back to the password hint from a LONG time ago, possibly one of my older computer names.

What is going on? At one point, WHS was trying to find out if I want to validate the WHS from the password on the laptop or from the server.

I can only log on via RDP and as Administrator. When I try to log on using my username via RDP, it says something along the line of terminal services and that it may have to be granted.

I don't remember this being so complicated before...any ideas?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:12 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

so I believe I got a bit confused and somewhat resolved my own issue lol
Since I have been 'out of the loop' for a loonnng time with WHS, logging in and backups...I was under the impression that when a user account is created in WHS via ADMIN account console, that when you try to open up the WHS console on a end user pc it should prompt you for a username/password. It only prompts you for a password.

I sat there thinking, how do I get it to ask me for the username, then I realized that the WHS console is only accessed by the admin...DUH

So then I started wondering, WHY are all these articles stating that the COMPUTER name and USER account on the laptop should be the same as the account in WHS. I tested out a few other options, using different PC logins and different account in WHS.

I realized that you DON'T need to have the same account info, its just convenient. It is convenient when you try to access the Shared Folder as it won't ask you for your credentials if they are the same on the PC and in WHS.

Now I do have a problem...on my laptop I can log in as ADMIN via RDP. But when I try to log in with my existing account, I get the following error:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:51 pm 

When you make a Remote Desktop Connection the User Name is always Administrator and the password is the actual server password.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:15 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
When you make a Remote Desktop Connection the User Name is always Administrator and the password is the actual server password.

Oh, so from what I've read, it seems like I can't RDP into the server using one of my user accounts. Makes sense lol

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:26 am 

No Problem. If you need additional help just let us know.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks