I have a MediaSmart EX490 with 12 total drives. I've successfully used several WD EARS drives with the pins 7-8 jumper in my setup. I went to the local computer store yesterday and bought 2 more green drives, but all they had were EARX drives (SATA 6Gb). To my dismay when I went to install them the pin 7-8 jumper trick doesn't work. So I added the drives to my storage pool, then tried to use WD's Align utility (which installed onto my WHS just fine). After it was done DE said my disks were not added.
Any ideas on how I can fix this? Soon the only thing available will be drives that don't have the jumper option.
Drive Extender does some pretty interesting "tricks" that unfortunately are not as simple as just creating a partition and NTFS mount point. While it does these things, it also creates some Registry entries that store additional information such as the partition offset (how many bytes from zero where the partition starts--proper alignment on an AFD must be evenly divisible by 4096). It also stores the size of the partition, in bytes.
So if you used the WD Align utility, it effectively "moved" the partition on the disk, thereby changing the offset. Changing the offset probably changed the partition size as well, even if only by a few hundred bytes.
Long story short...what exists on the disk and what exists in the Registry doesn't match, and so as far as DE is concerned, the disk is not present, even though it really is.
My recommendation would be to go through this post (http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/02 ... mat-drive/
) and see if you can, through the use of the WMI commands, make heads or tails of what's going on. The process there requires that you determine what the partition sizes and offsets are before realigning a partition. This is because you need to go and manually make Registry edits, and tweak very exact settings. Since you've already realigned the partitions, the original offset and size is now an unknown variable, although you may be able to make an educated guess by finding the appropriate NTFS mount point in the Registry. The documented process tells you exactly which commands to run and which values to put where, so you can try to go through the steps and see if you can piece it back together.
The only other option would be to treat the situation as a drive failure. In this case, you remove the drives from the pool--after all, DE thinks they're AWOL anyway. If you performed the realignment immediately after joining those disks to the pool, then the likelihood of data loss is fairly small, since DE probably didn't have a chance to start putting data on those disks. If the disks baked in the server for a few days before you realigned them, then you'll definitely lose data so you'd probably want to try piecing things back together first (make a backup of those disk's contents first!).