It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:35 am 

Hi all,

I am using WHS 2003 and managed to lose a critical file on my Windows 7 machine.

My critical file was a Virtual Machine with VMWare. It was 100GB and had over 20 years of my work on it. I have been having problems with VMWare server crashing on my Win 7 64bit so tried to use Oracle Virtual Box. This didn't work so I deleted what I thought was the profile from Virtual Box, but it also deleted my virtual disk that I had attached to it. No amount of file recovery software would rescue it.

My stress levels were REALLY high.

On top of this, I had tried restoring back to my Windows 7 from WHS but I kept getting the WHS 81% issue. This was increasing my stress levels. No matter what I tried, nothing worked. I had searched the internet till the early hours, asked people that I know might be able to help... but nothing. I even downloaded a small application that recovered some files on my server, but my critical files, it had not got a clue.

In the end, I decided to put in another hard disk and installed Vista 32 bit on it, get my network working on it (Dell have removed all drivers for Dell XPS 1640... aarrgghh!!! Had to find others... adding to my stress). So, I tried connecting to my server (after installing the connector)... I was now getting somewhere. I could repeatedly get my restore open and see the restore files... however, I was still having problems. It would start to restore then fail, and my source drive (WHS) would disappear.

I put a ping to my server in place and tried again. It failed again, but I noticed that a moment before it failed, the ping had no response... aha... a clue.

I got my crossover cable and connected my client to WHS directly. Set up the ping and started the restore. Again, it failed.

Luckily, I have a second network card in my server. I disabled the first (a gigabit card) and enabled my other card. I put my crossover in that card and started the restore again.

SUCCESS :banana: :chicken: :cheers: :beerme: :beerme: :beerme: (or should I say... so far, so good). The ping has not failed yet and the files are being copied across.

I hope that what I have found might help others...

In summary...

New hard disk
Install 32 bit OS (Vista - XP wouldn't install for some reason)
Direct cable connection to server with crossover UTP
Set up a ping (ping SERVER -t)
Start restore
(Network still failing??? try another network card)

Good luck.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:21 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Quote:
I got my crossover cable and connected my client to WHS directly. Set up the ping and started the restore. Again, it failed.

Without knowing what server you have. What confused me is you don't use a crossover cable. In most all cases.
So maybe that is your problem?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:14 am 

My server is a custom built Atom based server.

I had tried using my regular network infrastructure (router, switch etc.) beforehand but without success. It was when I was getting the intermittent failed pings that I decided to go direct to the server with a crossover cable, taking out all other parts of my network infrastructor to elimate as many potential failure points as possible... as it happened, it looks like it was one of the network cards in the server but without more testing, that will not be concusive.

I was in a predicament. I knew that the backup was fine but all my research into the 81% bug was suggesting it was not. I had to try everything I could before giving up. Luckily, I found a solution that worked for me, so I shared it as I have not seen this solution published.

Thanks