It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:55 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi

I have been having trouble with the Computer Backup feature. It started playing up late last year and hasn't successfully backed up a PC since 29 Dec 2011.

The event viewer on the WHS is telling me that there's a CRC error (event 272) occurring on a file called GlobalCluster.4096.dat. This error occurs every time WHS tries to back up any PC, and it seems that it's always fatal to an attempt to back up a PC. Hence no PCs getting backed up.

The GlobalCluster.4096.dat file is located in the folder where all the Computer Backup database stuff is kept. On my machine, that's on drive D: (as per the event viewer message and Windows Explorer). The file is "touched" every night, it seems, even though no backing up happens. Unlike the Data.4096.xx.dat files, which don't seem to have been touched since 29 Dec 2011 or before.

Whenever I look at the WHS Computer Backup service, it's running, and seems to be fine.

WHS is telling me that all drives are healthy, but that doesn't square with a persistent CRC error on a file. I want to dig deeper into drive health, and I think that means I need to know which physical drive to look into.

I know that WHS uses tombstones and that makes files seem to be in places they physically aren't. I'm wondering how to tell which physical drive the GlobalCluster.4096.dat file is really on.

Once I have established healthy drives I will want to work out the path of least resistance to re-establishing file integrity. I use BDBB, but the latest set I have that isn't tainted by the CRC error is rather old. I could just restore that. Is there a more selective approach that could work?

For background: the machine is a Dell PowerEdge 840 running OEM WHS v1 fully updated, installed by me yonks ago. The system has run fine until late last year, and still has no symptoms other than those described above relating to Computer Backup. During the second half of last year, I was seeing error messages about the SCSI RAID pair that the system is installed on (there are two bigger internal IDE drives as well). The messages said that one drive was failing. There were no symptoms other than this error message. Before I could act on it, the message stopped happening. Not a peep from it since, although I think the CRC error may be a result of it somehow. I can get support from Dell for fixing / re-synching the RAID stuff if I need to.

All suggestions welcome. I thought I'd posted this yesterday, but it seems not to have gone up. Apologies if this is a duplicate.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!