It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:19 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Looking for some assistance or direction here..

I had the system drive in my EX485 crash out, so I was able to pull the other 3 drives and recover the data, but I have now loaded a new 2GB Hitachi drive in as a system drive, and am attempting to restore the server. When I load the system drive and run the restore software it completes, but then says it is going to reboot the server to continue. It then hangs stating that it cannot locate the server on the network to complete the install. When the software is attempting to locate the server on the network, the default name is "Server", but I have tried that along with entering the name as it is listed in the DHCP client table as well.

I can see my server on my DHCP table in my DIR-655 router with the following info-

192.168.0.115 minint-g1edm4o 00:26:2d:00:12:f3

The LED light activity currently is 2 solid blue lights, and the last light is blinking blue.
I have tried disconnecting the router from my cable modem, resetting the PC, server and router, and this didn't appear to help at all.
I was trying from my i7 x64 machine, but most recently have been trying from an old 32bit XP machine and end up with the same results.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:53 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I had a similar problem when I tried to to a server restore. I called HP tech and they said to make sure that I was not doing the restore wirelessly from the client. Then they suggested copying the contents of the restore DVD to my desktop and running it from there rather than from the DVD. That worked for me. The last suggestion was to make sure that the client PC was directly attached to the server, not through a router or switch. I never tried that because suggestion #2 worked for me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I am hard wired directly from the desktop to the server now, and still experiencing this issue.

Thanks for the feedback though!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:31 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Did you try copying the DVD to your desktop on the client PC and running it from there? That is what solved it for me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:34 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yep tried that as well, still cannot locate the server on the network. XP 32bit machine plugged directly into the server, found it to load the software then it reboots and cannot find the server to complete the install.

Software was loaded directly to desktop to run.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:56 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Is it possible that the new system drive is not functioning?
Other than that, I don't have any other ideas. Have you tried calling HP tech support?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:10 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Take the system drive out attach to another pc and format it. Then try your reset again.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:34 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Gard -

Tried this now, and get all the way through the boot process, then it hangs up again and says it cannot locate the server on the network. I have tried completing this step plugged into my router with both the PC and the server, as well as plugging the server directly into the NIC on the back of the PC (eliminating the rest of the network/router from the equation)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

-Tim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:53 pm 

I have an EX485 and it behaves the same.... it is very glitchy...... and VERY Unreliable I bought it a few 8 months ago and have never been able to sort out this problem "Can't find Server"

I thought if maybe I upgraded the ram 4G and processor to Q8200S I would be able to install whs2011

I'm pulling my hair out trying different ways to reload the WHS1 system. My ultimate goal was to install whs2011 with a new Q8200s I enabled the PECI. But it wouldn't go past the BOIS screen USB = done.... I had to remove the Q8200s and start over just to see if I could be the base system operational

I have pulled the 750G segate drive
Deleted both partitions
created a single partition and Formatted drive
removed EX485 board pulled battery for 10 minutes.
J1 is jumpered per the forum screen shot can't seem to find out what it does....
J2 is jumpered to enable keyboard
reassemble ex485 with stock processor PECI = Disabled ( I have a VOV cable)

Reassembled the unit
Have original disk for EX485 WHS1
Start Server Recovery
monitor shows status "windows Loading"
get to the screen "Factory Reset" it runs for at least an hour......
status Recovery Complete ...... when this is finished
When it goes to then load the connector software I have the same problem cannot locate the server

If I use my Ipad I can see the server on the network using a network scanner tool.

(I have been successful only once out of 20 times) I can't replicate my success to reload the WHS1 system.......

I have a EX470 and it seems to reload the WHS1 without any problems. (Note it is off when I try this approach)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:21 pm 

Part of my mystery has been solved ot problem "Can't find Server"

My EX-485 has or had a glitch in the BIOS, any time you pulled the HD it would set the boot priority to USB. I could never figure out why the re-install of WHS1 wouldn't work. After months of the server sitting on the shelf I bought the VOV cable from eBay. Buried in one of many thread someone hinted the USB boot priority would change.... Mine unit was that way and without the VOV cable I couldn't see the boot priority issue. With the VOV cable I could see and change the setting in the BIOS to boot the HDD first.... this fixed my problem .... "Can't find Server"

Thanks