It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:53 am 

Hi all,

Than you for all the information and forum itself. I am proud owner of HPE Microserver Gen 8 and recently I got out of free drive bays. Since then I was searching for a descent DAS/NAS appliance and found very stylish HP mediaservers EX on ebay for a reasonable price. I bought one EX495 and one marked as dead EX480 without drives, planning to use them as pure DAS bays for external SAS controller.

However I found your forum and read all the possibility these tiny devices have. I decide to restore at least one of them and use as independent NAS.

So I ordered two Xeon L5430 and VGA cable from ebay plus able to find 4GB DDR2 intel stick. Week ago I finally get them. Dissembling was easy, both units have stock CPUS and 2GB RAM. I successfully connected vga cable and able to enter BIOS. The marked as dead unit was actually working, but it reboots several times before it may start normally. I guessed it is bad
psu, so I left it for a while. Second working well initially, but after two days it just shut down without any warring.

Having no hopes I tried to switch psu between them and to my surprise they both started and keep working without issues for a day.

The thing is PSU and cases are different in these models (I believed they are identical). The older model have small PSU and more modern - bigger, that does not fit into previous, the metal parts are blocking it half way. Well, I switched motherboards, and they fits, clever me.

Now I have two kinda working PSUs, but I don't know for how long. I use the hacked bios on modern one and he is running with Xeon and 4 GB ram now. Temperature is good and no problems at all.

I plan to order new PSU from ebay, but wonder if they fit older model? They all look like EX495 size, and this is stops me from ordering two.

Thanks again! :encore: :encore:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:01 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The psu may be the same but it is the pin out that makes them different.
Some come with a adapter cable but then it becomes do I have room for the extra cabling.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
Vit
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:00 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

FYI, ebay has 3 types of mediasmart power supplies.
1) I have seen one that has been repinned to work, but it has all the extra wiring and plugs that are not needed and will not fit.
2) I have purchased a ebay that had just the wires needed and pinned correctly, but as "Ruben Rocha" said, it has a small pinning connector that I was just able to Loop into the server to fit, but I was concerned about air flow, so I ended up buying #3
3) I have purchased (2) power supplies that are exact copies (but better quality) of what is in the server.

So be careful which one you get....

This one looks very promising, but I can not guarantee.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-350W-HP-MediaSmart-Server-EX470-475-480-485-487-490-495-Power-Supply-Replace-/330800575511?hash=item4d05403417:g:n3AAAOxy2d9SU2r5

This is the type you do not want unless you are able to finish/repin/terminate and get rid of the extra wires.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350W-Replace-Power-Supply-for-HP-MediaSmart-Server-EX470-475-480-485-487-490-/351562210202?hash=item51dabd9b9a:g:g2sAAOSwoydWnBhK

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
Vit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:17 am 

I can tell you I just (this week) replaced the PSU in my EX470 with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/201852135388, as my original PSU fan started making grinding noises. It worked perfectly. As Ruben and Gardian both mention, look carefully at the pictures of the PSUs on EBay, as you want the ones with just one thick mesh-wrapped cable coming out of the PSU, with a 20-pin connector coming out of it. The one I ordered also had the single thinner cable from the motherboard to the WHS front panel USB port and LED lights attached as well, which saved me from having to clip off the cable from my original PSU. If you are ordering a PSU and it has multiple Molex power connectors, then you'll need to have the know-how and tools to modify it, or it won't allow you to close your WHS case.

As an aside, because my WHS was powered off for a few days waiting for the PSU to ship, my CMOS battery was not able to keep the clock going and my WHS booted up with the clock set to Jan 1 2007. This may seem like an innocent problem, but Windows file sharing is dependent on clocks being somewhat close, so none of my clients was able to access shares on the WHS until I set the clock back to the correct time.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thx for the followup, glad to hear you were able to get a replacement and didn't have any problems putting it in (other then the battery) the date/time has bitten many over the years.
Good luck and enjoy.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
mr.rhtuner