It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm 

Can anyone explain why?

I thought with folder duplication on windows was supposed to make sure it had enough space on either drive to hold a copy of everything w/ duplication turned on. Yet when one drive completely died I lost a TON of data.

I suppose that having more drives might be more of a failure point in the mechanical sense, but also might allow more data to be duplicated? What say ye?

My last config was 1TB Seagate (the one that died) and a 1.5TB WD Green. Had around 850Gb free w/ both drives alive.

I picked up a 2GB WD Green to replace the dead Seagate, but am weary and would like to add another 500GB WD that I have kicking around hoping for more "backup".

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:42 pm 
Founder
Founder

If you have duplication enabled for all shares, you shouldn't lose data. How are you confirming that you lost data? What did you do to the server after the drive failed? Does it run now? See this topic for recovering data after server failure: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 573697777f

Thanks