It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:53 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi guys --- I've done some searches on how to handle this issue and my understanding is the problem is usually related to drive health? Just wondering if it could be anything else before I start a long process of pulling and chksdsk all drives on a relatively new set-up. My situation:

- EX-495 server new about 9 monnths ago; added 3 WD EADS 2gb drives when new after running the wdidle3.exe app on all three before installing; last week upgraded to 4gb RAM
- I have a blue blinking health light and can't use the console software to access it. Have rebooted several times but no change. I can RDP in.
- Event logs give the following:
The Windows Home Server Console cannot open because the following file is blocking it: C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.dll.
The Windows Home Server Console cannot open because the following file is blocking it: C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsoleTab.Media.dll.

- The server has been running fine for 9 months -- however, recently I have been trying to transfer ~800gb of data to the pool, and twice it has failed with the copy process kicking off errors and then the server being inaccessable. This seems to be the crux of the issue (heat related maybe?). The first time this happened, I rebooted the server and all was fine again. Today rebooting is not fixing the issue.
- The RAM upgrade was done in-between the two failures, so I don't think that is related.
- The C: drive on the server (properties) has plenty of free space (6gb).
- The D: drive on the server (properties) shows 3.25 TB free, but Used space is strange: (.0'(.-*0/(*(( bytes
- All mounted (server) folders are accessible from my PC, and all data seems intact.

What should be my first steps? If I pull the drives one by one and reboot, will that cause any potential issues? I'm in the process of copying all data from a PC to the server so I can mothball the PC and replace it with a new one. This of course happened while I was in process of doing that. In fact the reason I purchased the server was for something more stable than a hardware RAID I had set-up on my 8 year old homebuild (I was worried about a motherboard failure canning my whole RAID and with it family photos, etc.). I wanted something reliable with simple redundancy.....

EDIT: literally as I posted this, my old Console warnings (McAfee intall) that I haven't bothered to correct came back up, and the heath light went normal. So I'm back in business I guess, but not at all feeling comfortable with this as a primary data storage device. Any recommendations on where to start would be much appreciated. Could this have been a heat issue?? The copy had been running for many hours both times when the failures started.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:59 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Heat, Maybe. Network blip, maybe. Who knows, these things can be cranky. I won't try to tell you what is maybe wrong, but.

What I can say for sure is, backup. Do not trust it without a backup of your data that you can't lose.
I have (1) drive that is non-pooled internal that I backup the shares on. It has saved me twice.
I have (1) drive that I rotate out and do the same thing.
Every 2-3 weeks I do a backup and every month or two I rotate out the drive.

If your drives are to full to do this internal, I would start looking for an external method for doing this. Without a non-pooled backup or some other form of backup, CD's DVD'S, it is just a matter of time before it bytes you.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know of anything better, unless you built one, but, even then, backups are the key to not losing everything.

Good luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:58 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I would certainly follow Gardian's advice here. While I've been testing WHS 2011 on my EX487, it's also serving as a backup of my EX490's shares. I would be really unhappy to lose everything, so with DE on the 490 and StableBit DrivePool on the 487, my most important files are backed up in quadruplicate, on completely separate boxes.

Now to look at other potential failures.

As many folks have noted in various posts here, and on other forums, HDD failures are certainly a cause for problems. I do NOT attribute this to be a fault of HP's MSS servers, because a failing disk can cause a problem for ANY Windows box. I think it's more of a Windows phenomenon, rather than an MSS one.

In my experience, if Windows tries to access a disk that is experiencing problems, especially during the boot sequence, it can theoretically sit there for hours, or forever (whichever comes first), performing retry operations on the disk. Unless the disk dies outright, so the OS no longer "sees" it, or the disk miraculously starts behaving again, Windows can just sit there spinning its wheels, leaving you wondering what's going on. If you don't have the luxury of a debug cable, and Windows is hung in the boot process, you'll never know.

In your case, it seems that Windows booted far enough that it got through the boot sequence, but now the aforementioned phenomenon occurred while Windows was starting various services. WHS has a number of services, some of which are dependent upon successful start of others. For example, the WHS Storage Manager is a critical one for things like WHS Computer Backup, WHS Drive Letter, etc. The Storage Manager service will enumerate and access the connected drives, as will the backup and drive letter services. If the troublesome disk is accessed, the service process could get stuck, and thus other services may fail to start...or get hung up waiting for the troubled disk to either die or start behaving, allowing the logjam to break free.

Disk errors detected by Windows will show up in the System event log, not the Application event log. You'll notice them right away if you have any posted by "disk" or "ntfs" -- these are telltale signs of POTENTIAL disk problems. NTFS errors often indicate communications lost with a disk (i.e. delayed write failed, system failed to flush data to the transaction log, corruption may occur, etc.). These are usually in the form of warnings, and can appear in small clusters, or big batches of hundreds. Events posted by "disk" are usually errors, instead of warnings, and they will often say something like "disk \\device\harddisk1\D has a bad block." These too will appear in clusters, and in a serious failure situation, big batches.

I wrote an add-in called Home Server SMART (WHS v1), which you can download here: http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/Freebi ... SMART.aspx. This tool can help identify disks with problems, or potential problems, and for a lot of folks has been successful at pinpointing disks that are dying. It works well for most folks running all classes of MediaSmart servers -- DIY servers have produced mixed results, because there's no guarantee that my add-in supports every controller, and hardware RAID is not supported at all. The tool does, however, support a wide array of USB disks. My EX490 has 4 internal and 6 external disks and the add-in shows a full suite of info for all of them. I hope this tool can help you.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:09 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks guys -- things seem to be working fine again; I'll provide a quick update for the sake of info in case it's useful -- this seems to be causing the trouble (and there are some consistencies):

- background: The data I've been moving to the server is a mix of various old files copied from mothballed PCs (i.e. user folders) and some old work mirrors that I had to change ownership/permissions on to get to copy; I'm using TotalCommander as this is one of the only tools I know of that will copy folder dates across NTFS partitions (a *huge* peev of mine)
- two or three times in copying this over it failed midway through (copying to a duplicated folder) -- the error was along the lines of (sorry I didn't screen grab it) 'disk volume does not have write permission'; after this point the server console would no longer work, and I had to soft or hard reboot
- each time I had trouble getting back in, but when I eventually did: There were health warnings on a folder related to file conflict errors; they were all (5 separate warnigns) on PDF files that seemed to be temporary fragments left in a folder, i.e. 'Fil~2.pdf'; they were from more than one original source (i.e. one from an old laptop, one from an old work drive)

Deleting the files from the WHS corrected the health problem, and all seems to be working fine. So my best guess is this is nothing related to drive health, but still seems a bit strange (all the same file type and all with the '~' in the name causing a problem).

Outside of that:
- my Event logs under system: The only errors are related to printers or printer drivers on my network PCs (driver unknown); is that normal?
- I'm with you on backups; currently all my data is being duplicated with the exception of my DVD library rips; the originals are also still on my old hardware RAID that I've been concerned about, and I'm planning on getting some sort of external or cloud backup going for important photos/documents soon as soon as I have everything moved and the old PC shuttered; I also backup the same PC onto the WHS; related question if you don't mind: what sw are you using for external/non-pooled back-ups? As I mentioned nothing aggravates me more than all NTFS folders having the same date so I've always looked for a good solution
- Thanks for the Home Server SMART add-in; that will be my first!

EDIT:
- I've installed HomeServerSMART -- the only warning is a drive temp ogf 45c on the original system drive
- question: is there a way to pull up resolved warning messages? I'd like to see again what the files were causing the conflict

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:29 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

No software for non pooled, when you add a new drive, it will ask if you want to add it to the pool or use it as a backup drive.
Internal or external does not matter, once you have it setup for backups, then look in the backup area of the console you will see it, set it up to backup as much of the shares as needed.

Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks