It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:01 pm 

My Ex495 has failed. I can't reach the console and have tried most every possible solution.

After a long power failure, I couldn't reach the console. I rebooted the server several times. No drives lights, flashing health indicator. I determined that one of the three WD Caviar Green 2TB drives that I added had failed. I did this by attaching each drive to an external computer. Despite locating this failed drive and being able to reboot the server without it in place, I still can't reach the server console. Also tried remote desktop, no luck. Can't ping it, either. I had installed a secondary network adaptor (USB) about a year ago in the event that the existing Network adaptor failed. No luck there, either. Tried a recovery by connecting the server directly to another computer. Recovery failed... twice.

The server had been backing up three Win 7 computers that I use. One in particular, where I keep all my photos and videos, suffered a hard drive failure - the dedicated one I keep all my photos on. Clicking sounds... bad. Wait, not to worry! I'd had the drive being backed up on the MediaSmart server! Now, (within two days of the first failure) I can't get into my server either.

My back's against the wall. Here's what I'm wondering:

I pulled the working drives from the server and can see them when attached to another computer. I have found the shares folder and some of my data is there. My photos drive was backed up using the backup service and are therefore somewhere in the database files that I've found. They were not kept in the shared folders. Is there some way to have another system "restore" this backup? I'd be willing to buy a new HP MediaSmart if I can plug in the two remaining functional hard drives and have them restore the backed up files. Is there some other way to retrieve specific files from a backup file?

Thanks so much for the help. I'm sick over my missing 10 years of photos.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:30 pm 
Founder
Founder

The backup database isn't duplicated, so if you lost a drive you may very well have lost some or all of your photos client backups. :(

Only WHS can read the backup database, so you'll need to either get your system working or another system and then copy the backup database files onto the server. They are stored on the server in: D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

This guide may help you: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 573697777f

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Thanks