It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Newbie questions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:46 pm 

Folks - I've just been given an EX470 - I think. A number of questions!

1. It is diskless, in that there are no drives in it. I plan to start with 1 1Tb drive, but that leads me on to issue 2:

2. It is diskless, in that there are no software disks with it. It has the sticker on the base with software key - but is there a source for software online?

3. I can't tell which EX model it is. How do I identify it?

4. Powering it up without drives, should I be able to locate it on the network? Or does it require a drive to boot? And will the OS installer be able to find it?

5. Is there a Linux or similar alternative to WHS that will run on the machine?

My apologies if all this is covered somewhere else.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Newbie questions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:55 pm 

My suggestion to you would be to call HP and provide them the Model Numbers on the bottom of the unit and request a set of disks for that unit. Even if you know the exact model number you will need a set of disks to install the Windows Home Server and HP Added Software to the server to make it run properly.

The only real concen I would have in acquiring a unit without the disks is if the unit is functional or not. The way the unit is setup is over the network for the earlier units and the more recient units its done with a direct network cable connection between the server and the client performing the recovery.

What you have is a headless Server designed to be simple to use and accessed over the network by one or more clients. Some have installed other Operating Systems on them using blind install techniques or have installed a debug cable to provide a video output then they connect a Keyboard, Mouse and external optical drive to install the OS of their choice.

So right now your best bet is to contact HP, identify the unit, obtain a set of disks, download the manuals and then see if you can get the unit it to run. Then once you know what it is and that its functional then you can better determine to use what you have or try to install something else.

Good Luck......

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks