It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: No Server Found
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:42 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I upgraded the OS HD from a 250GB HD to a Hitachi 1.5GB HD. I also upgraded the 512MB to a 2GB PC2-5300 module. I removed all data HDs as I will use new data HDs as well. However, I can't install the OS. Both the SmartMedia and the computer from which I run the "Server Recovery Disc Version 1.1" are hardwired to the same switch. I do the following:

1) Turn off the SmartMedia
2) Start the SmartMedia and wait until the LED flashes red/blue
3) Insert the paper clip and release. After 2-3s the LED starts flashing purple (red+blue) and blue
4) I click next on the server install software to detect the SmartMedia. However, I get the following error:

No Server was found. Click Help for information on how to address the problem...

I turned the Firewall off completely, tried a different Ethernet cable, made sure all HP SmartMedia software is uninstalled but I still have the same issue. Note that the HD light does not light up but I'm not sure if it is supposed to be this way since I do a recovery. The computer from which I run the software runs Win 7 32-bit. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: No Server Found
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:27 pm 

Which server model are you working with and which version of the HP Software are you reinstalling? This will help alot.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

It's an EX470 and I use "Server Recovery Disc Version 1.1". Actually, I wanted to get 3.0 but it seems HP pulled it. I'm not happy about that but I guess there is nothing I can do about it.

Anyways, I switched HDs, even put the original OS HD back in but nothing worked. I finally plugged the Ethernet cable directly into the computer from which I do the new install. After that it recognized the server and I continued to the next step. Then a new program automatically started which mentioned to make sure to have the MediaSmart connected to the home network. So disconnected the direct connection and connected both the MediaSmart and the computer from which I install the software to the switch which is connected to the home network. The installation is now continuing and everything seems to be fine. What surprised me a lot is how fast all this did go. Maybe 20 minutes max. It's installing updates now which seems to take quite a bit longer. Judging by the progress bar maybe a total of 40 minutes. Next will be adding my data drives, 3 2TB Coolspin drives. The OS drive is a 1.5GB Seagate 7200rpm drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:45 pm 

Cool. If you get an error that indicated the software can not be installed on the client do not worry about because you can install the Client Software from the Client Disk and things will pickup where they left off.

If your performing a Server Recovery in which your preserving your data just make certain you download all the HP and Microsoft updates. Your server may inform you that the Backup Database is corrupt just ignore it as it will go away once the server is fully updated.

After that its just setting the server backup, installing additional software and updates you were running before, adding in user accounts and at some point the client software will need to be updated to bring it inline again with the server.

As for the 3.0 all I can say is its cool but comes at a price to your server. There are other things which you can run to replace the media functions in the 3.0 like Remote Potato which will stream movies, music, display pictures all in a nice orderly mannor and not have the problems that the 3.0 tended to have that needed to be addressed and even then it would only stream a limited amount of media types. While the 1.0 doesn't go out and collect can convert your media its ok because its processor intensive and better done on a client and transfered to the server which is faster and more efficient in my opinion. Do not get me wrong 3.0 is nice but I think for the EX470 even with a processor upgrade it does push it abit to much. Far better to use your server then to wait for it to finish a task.

I own 3 EX470's and have taken them around the world and back. Should you need additional help please feel free to ask.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:05 pm 

I cannot connect to the EX470. One day it just didn't respond to the connector software. It was still using the power saving app I installed. Turning it off during the day and turning itself on at night.

When I couldn't connect, I figured something on the network was interfering so I connected a laptop directly to the server. Nothing. Now I have the laptop and server connected to a hub. I tested out the cables to make sure they all work. I've also added a second laptop. Both laptops appear on the network map, but not the server. The server has all the lights working and sometimes when a laptop is searching the network the server's HDD makes noise.

I've used the server recovery software. Use the paper clip, watched the blinking lights. Blue, red, then purple. Attempt to connect automatically and manually. But... nothing.

Is there a way to just reset the server (accounts, settings, servername, etc.) to factory without a PC or laptop?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:04 pm 

Hi boii5 welcome to the site!

Your on the right track trying to verify the network connection is working or not. While network ports on switches and routers and cables can cause issues you also need to verify the network port on your EX470 is also functional. Since you have already confirmed the cables and ports the cables are connected to are functional you now need to verify the network port on the EX470.

The easiest way to do this is with the server powered off back out all the drives in the server, make sure the server is connected to your network then simply turn it on. Because there are no drives connected in the server or more to the point the System Drive is not connected the EX470 will boot into its Server Recovery Mode which will be indicated by the health light blinking Purple/Red and if by chance the Health Light is not operating correctly it should be in its recovery mode in 2 or more minutes. If you logon to your router and check the DHCP listing you want to look for a device with the name starting with MININT which will be followed by other things. If you see this then your servers network port is functional and if not then your servers NIC has failed. If its functional then you will also want to write down the MAC Address of the server because that's the easiest way to identify the server through the router regardless of the name or IP Address its using at any given time. If you do not see the server then the NIC on the EX470 has more than likely failed and you would need to install a USB to LAN Adaptor another topic I have written about but its best done with a DEBUG board connected to the server which will make installing the drivers easier because it will give you KVM or Keyboard, Video and Mouse Connectivity.

If the server is showing up on your router then the cause of your problem could be hard drive related and I and others have written extensively on the site on how to troubleshoot and correct Hard Drive issues on the HP MSS or for that matter any Server running WHSv1. You can connect the drives to another computer and run a CHKDSK on them and the best one to start with is the bottom drive which is the System Drive and its the only drive that has to be in that specific location. It will have 2 partitions one for the System which contains the OS and the other for DATA which will be part of your Storage Pool. You will need to perform a CHKDSK on both partitions to make certain they are working well.

You can boot the server with only the system drive an ignore the Red Health Light because all you would be doing is to confirm the server is bootable and shows up on your network. If it does and no issues were found during the CHKDSK or if issues were found and corrected then what you will want to do is shut the server down and install one drive and reboot and repeat the process until the problem shows up again or until all the drives are installed. What your looking for here is a drive which is causing your problem but again its most likely the System Drive.

Of course we are taking about a 10 yr old machine so your bound to run into issues but I do wish you luck in resolving your issue and should you need further help please let me know. I may not be on the site as much as I use to but I still respond to people when they ask.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

as far as the connector goes.
When the server is first setup it gets updates.
part of the updates is a new connector software version.
So you need to uninstall the connector on your client and reinstall it again.
this may happen a couple of times till the server gets the last update.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:14 am 

Comp1962 wrote:
Hi boii5 welcome to the site!

Thanks for the welcome!

The HPSERVER doesn't appear on the hub so it's likely the network card. I found that there's an inexpensive device let's one connect remotely via USB without device drivers. Hopefully, I can connect a laptop directly to this box and see what's going on inside and what stored on it. I will post my misadventures here in case someone has the same question.

I would ask what made HP sell a "headless" unit knowing something might happen that would require connecting I/O devices to fix. Buuuuuut, I rather ask what made ME purchase a headless unit. LOL

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:23 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Sorry to hear you may have a bad nic.
Just a quick question:
Do you know what the IP address was on the server? If you did you could attach it let it boot as far as it will and be able to "maybe ping it" if you can ping it, the nic might be ok.
Finding the dhcp call in some routers can be hard for some people. Not saying you can't. Just hoping your nic is ok and it's just mediasmart being stubborn as they can be.

Why headless, Well I think they did it for a couple of reasons.
1) I think being headless was part of the set and forget idea of these servers. They didn't want people using them as desktops and being so easy to fiddle with the underlying OS and screwing things up.

2) Like every manufacture they saved a little money and they figured the system was setup so perfectly that no one would ever need to access the server directly.

Now since Microsoft has pulled out of the home server market, you will see that HP has continued selling small servers but they have included vga now so the customer can pick there own OS and see what they are doing.

Microsoft has taken to trying to be a bully and force people to the cloud. What they have not figured out is most people don't like being bullied and they also don't like paying monthly payments for something they can buy and maintain at home. So all they really have done is cut there own throat and pushed people to NAS and to hang onto old hardware/software like all of us.
I believe people are still using home storage because the prices of harddrives continues to drop, so people are still buying them. Granted, big cloud data centers are still buying them to which does help us with the prices.

But :offtopic: hoping you can get your system back up and running, I know you can still find these servers on ebay and if you end up going down that road, you might want to upgrade to the newer models the ex-490 and X-510 were the latest to use whs v1 I bought (4) just to have spares since HP didn't sell spare parts.
I run two on the network, have one setup to go off to collage with my kidddo and one for a spare.
I also bought the vga adapter for two of them "just in case" but really haven't needed to use them.
I ended up building a DIY with win2012E sever on it for when wHS v1 stops working down the road.

I'll finish by saying, you might want to look at the new HP Gen 10 micro servers, they do not have windows on them which may be a good thing these days, but they look pretty cool and have three video outputs.
I am waiting to see if they have a faster version and try the new CLEAROS.

Anyway, good luck and do let us know how your doing......

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:43 pm 

Gardian wrote:
Sorry to hear you may have a bad nic.

Anyway, good luck and do let us know how your doing......

Thanks! I just noticed the Ethernet outlet doesn't light up the way it used to whenever I plugged in a cable. I can't believe I didn't see this earlier. It is the NIC.

I ordered an IOGear USB Laptop KVM Switch. This allows a laptop to be used as a KVM switch. Once it arrives I should be able to peer into the server's desktop. It's got remote firmware built into it so nothing has to be installed on the server.

Hopefully it works once I get it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:56 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, Good news, bad news. Again sorry to hear you have a bad nic.
Hopefully you will be able to find a decent usb nic that will work with win server 2003.

When you get that IOgear device and it does work, could you post a link to it, that could come in real handy, being able to see the desktop without opening the case and attaching something to the motherboard.

Also, by added a new nic I estimate a 50/50 chance that you may have to run a recovery, unless you knew the ip address of the old nic and can reserve the same ip in your router for the new nic.

Either way, let us know how it's going.
Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:08 pm 

Gardian wrote:
When you get that IOgear device and it does work, could you post a link to it, that could come in real handy, being able to see the desktop without opening the case and attaching something to the motherboard. Either way, let us know how it's going. Good Luck

Sorta bad news: the IOGear laptop KVM GCS661U (http://amzn.to/2wcxW4M) works! But not with the EX unit. It's possible that the GCS661U is attempting to connect to the server's video and keyboard interfaces of which there are none.

Do you know if HP will still repair the NIC? They once replaced a laptop motherboard out of warranty for me ($100). Is it worth fixing? I'd hate to send it to recycle if it's just a NIC. But then I don't think I can trust it with my data again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:11 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Darn, sorry to hear.
There have been a number of people that have lost nics and used a usb nic. But it's not ideal.
I forget which server you have, if it is a ex-490/ex-495 then I would be tempted to try and repair it.
Asking HP to fix it, well, all they can do is say yes or no, you won't know till you ask, I doubt they will, but ya never know. If it is a 470 or 485 I would most likely sell it for parts and move on to something else.

Your options:
Here is a write up on replacing that nic with a usb and it would be an option.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/06/22/guide-how-to-resolve-a-failed-lan-port-on-your-server/
Being able to see what your doing will be good for this option and I believe you could still get a vga adapter on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-Adapter-for-HP-MediaSmart-EX470-EX475-EX480-EX485-EX487-EX490-EX495-/322660019429?hash=item4b20092ce5:g:yYEAAOSw4CFYvE6c
This is not my sale, but could help.
This option you are buying the usb nic and the vga cable and a little time installing it. The hard part may be finding a usb nic that has support for server 2003.

You could go to ebay and try to pickup a same version server in good shape for not a whole lot and then you could use the old one for spare parts as the case/trays/power supply all fit. I saw a couple of ex-490 for under $100.

Other then these two, your probably looking at more serious cash for a new NAS or new server.
They seem to start around $300-$400 without drives.

The new HP Gen 10 will be coming out soon, they already have the low end version with a atom processor for around $399. I am waiting for the beefier one to test drive.
Prices on the Gen 8 are probably getting lower.

Anyway, sorry to hear and wish you the best of luck going forward. Let us know which way you go or if we can help.
Good Luck and Enjoy....

Last edited by Gardian on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:07 am 

Gardian wrote:
Being able to see what your doing will be good for this option and I believe you could still get a vga adapter on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-Adapter-for-HP-MediaSmart-EX470-EX475-EX480-EX485-EX487-EX490-EX495-/322660019429?hash=item4b20092ce5:g:yYEAAOSw4CFYvE6c
This is not my sale, but could help. This option you are buying the usb nic and the vga cable and a little time installing it. The hard part may be finding a usb nic that has support for server 2003.

OMG! There's a video connector inside and HP never bothered to stick a VGA port on the back?! OMG!

So I don't lose the OS itself, I should be able to transplant the system HDD to another PC, right?

I appreciate the information. Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:58 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yes, there is a header for a vga port on the motherboard and I think they didn't add the port to keep people from using it as a desktop or having access to the desktop instead of using the console.

But, Taking your drives from say your ex-490 and placing them in another ex-490 making sure the bottom drive gets back in a bottom bay, as that is where the system looks for the os drive.
I believe you will need to perform a recovery (not a factory reset) to get the system working again. I'm pretty sure you can't just swap and go. Sorry to say.

That is why I bought 4 servers because HP was not selling spare parts and I wanted to have this server for a long time.
I use two on the network and have one setup for my daughter to go to collage with and one in the shop for a spare.

Also, having a copy/backup of your data you can't lose outside the server is a good thing, sometimes these systems can go south fast and you could need that extra copy to get it back.
I keep 3 copies of my data, the data on the server, the sync'ed data to the second server and then I do non-pooled backups of the main and keep offsite, just in case.
Overkill yes, but I have 30 years of data that I can not lose. :-)

Good Luck whichever way you go and enjoy....

Thanks