It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Unable to Mount Volume
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:19 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I know this topic has been previously addressed in another forum on the internet and in this forum as well. However it doesn't seem that any resolution was reached that could assist me in my situation.

I am unable to mount a volume from a backup on my primary computer. It is a Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit 2-partition system with RAID 1 redundancy. My Windows Home Server is an HP EX 495 although I'm not sure which version of WHS Operating System is currently installed. (I believe it is the latest version as I was told by HP support since they said automatic updates should keep the WHS current.)

Does anyone have any troubleshooting steps I could follow to remedy my situation?

I should note here that I was able to mount the volume on a Windows 7 64-bit notebook PC on the same network, so my backup database, as I understand, is NOT currupted (what a relief).

I decided to look into mounting volumes to double-check the integrity of my backups since I haven't really managed my backups for quite some time, other than allowing the system to automatically back-up at night or doing manual backups on occasion as needed.

Sincerely,
markerline

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:19 pm 
Founder
Founder

Error messages would be helpful.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:26 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm not sure how to retrieve Event-Viewer-style error messages from the WHS console but there is a pop-up window (very small one) that comes up that simply states "Cannot mount the backup" with a red circular icon to the left of the text with an X in the middle.

I should also state that on a different Windows Vista computer (32-bit) the same partition volume I am trying to mount does not mount either. However the first partition (C:) does mount. On my primary computer that I need this mounting capability to work on the C partition will not mount either. Something weird is going on if the primary partition can mount on one Vista machine and not another yet the secondary partition can't mount at all. (I can't seem to mount any volumes from any PC's on the main computer in question).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:48 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I found the following link:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/whsfaq/thread/785bc097-b7b0-4268-bd9f-cc802c5eb355

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-G ... 802c5eb355

It explains that sometimes the mounting process gets to 81 percent and then fails. This is my case exactly. (At first it was getting all the way to 97 percent and then failing.)

Thanks