It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:01 pm 

Hello I have a mediasmart EX487 and here are the current conditions:

1. The front lights indicate - Power = Solid Blue, Network = Solid Blue, Health = Solid White

2. The HDD LEDS are all OFF.

3. I cannot ping the IP nor access the server in any way, but the network LEDS are fine and seem to flash as they are supposed to.

I cannot find anything online that tells me what SOLID WHITE health LED is or how to fix it. There are no other health blink codes. As soon as the power is turned on, its immediately solid white, and pressing the "status/recovery" button does not change that.

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Terrence

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:15 pm 
Founder
Founder

That could be a hardware failure, I'd start by removing all your hard drives (be sure to label the system drive, it's the bottom drive) and seeing if it boots with no drives in it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:30 am 

yeah tried that one haha - still same.... when I turn it on its instantly a white light.... There isnt any HP documentation I have read that points to what that is exactly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:46 am 
Founder
Founder

Most likely a hardware failure. :( You don't indicate in your original post what led up to this situation, did you take it apart, upgrade any components, etc? You can try contacting HP support.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:12 am 

I am actually "repairing" it for someone else, they were very vague on the events leading up to the failure.... I have been leaning towards bad mainboard due to the fact that there are not HDD LEDS but to my knowledge, "it was working, then it wasnt" not much to go on :/ IMO this is a huge piece of crap and for what the retail is on one of these, one could buy a proper server.... preferably with a vga connection. I did contact HP support and he told me that the solid white meant that it was in "recovery" mode, which didnt make sense because the HDD LEDS werent lit. I am not sure he know anymore about it than I do.... This makes me appreciate real servers a lot more than these wannabes

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:46 am 
Founder
Founder

HDD LEDs are not lit during recovery mode. If it's instantly solid white then I suspect it's most likely a component failure on the mainboard or backplane.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:50 am 

Well thanks for your help - kind of reassured what I was thinking already. I was just curious if anyone really knew what the solid white light referred to.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:26 pm 

terrencew13 wrote:
Well thanks for your help - kind of reassured what I was thinking already. I was just curious if anyone really knew what the solid white light referred to.

Hi there

I can sympathise with your dilema as I have the same problem. A long time ago, Alex provided help to fix the cause of my 'white light' problem. On my HP EX487, the LED at the back of the unit remains orange no matter what and my IT guy at work diagnosed a network card failure. I haven't actually dismantled the unit enough to remove the motherboard to see if the network card is a separate device.

Does anyone know if you can purchase a separate network card or is the whole motherboard in need of replacement? IF the whole motherboard needs replacing, is there a chip or component that typically 'fails' on the network card?

p.s. my server broke down after a faulty RCD kept triggering. I replaced the RCD but now need to fix my server :(

Good luck :lol:

Scoobs

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:42 pm 
Founder
Founder

Check this blog post out: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/06 ... ur-server/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:45 am 

Thanks for the blog link - my hard drives dont light up :/ so I am guessing that I have a mainboard issue...

Thanks