It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:01 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

After the original system drive failed in my HP X310 and HP replaced it I did a recovery and set up and ran for several months without incident but I picked up 3 x 2T drives to add. However when I put the first one in I can't open a console session or open a remote desktop session. My HDD light is pulsing Aqua indicating there is a new drive that is not yet added to the server storage. When I try to open a console session or a remote desktop session I get the Windows home server splash screen and nothing else. I've tried mutiple reboots and nothing changes.

I have not been able to find any info on thy issue. Anybody seen this or have any ideas where to start?

thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I would start by pulling the new drive out and praying it goes back to running good.
You did not say what Make/Model of harddrives, that might be something.

When I add a new drive I always have the console open first so I can be ready to go.

Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:33 pm 

The other thing is that something may be off in the network and the drives may just happened at the same time. Last week I was unable to open up the console from the client but since I have monitors on my server I could read the event logs and for some reason their was an IP conflict between the server and the client I was using. I always reserve IP numbers for each device on my network but for some reason the Client did not have a reserved IP which should not of made a diffence so I reserved an IP for the client then rebooted the client and the console started working properly.

I know this sounds weird but it did happen and it may have been simply a fart within the router. I just mention it because its something I recently experienced and it may be unrelated to the issue at hand but its something to look at even if its a simple reboot of the router which is easily done without any stress.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:45 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

IP addresses are good. I can also still access all of the shares on the server in the normal ways. Just can't get the console/remote desktop to work. this server has no video card so monitor is not an option.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:03 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok tried one more reboot. Console opens after a long time but when I go to the Server storage tab it hangs.

the added hard drive is a new Hitachi 2TB SATA-6g

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I pulled the new drive. the console would still not work. so I forced a reboot of the server. the Console opened after about 4 minutes and all tabs worked except Storage. when I clicked on it the console hung. closed the console. Tried to open it again. now we are back to it just hanging at the splash screen. tell me I don't have to do another recovery.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:38 pm 

I could access the shares from the client as well but as I mentioned in my post I encountered and IP conflict between the server and the client which did not allow me to utilize the console.

Tell me have you tried connected to your server using the IP Address using Remote Desktop. If you look at your router and see the IP provided by your ISP and enter that instead of the serve name you should be able to acces the server gating to it over the interent rather than your internal network and then you can check the event logs to see if they can provide you with information to help you out. This only works if you have remote access enabled.

Also if you logon to your servers web address you should also be able to access the console that way. So there are different ways to access your server but these ways require you to have remote access enabled.

Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

remote access on this server is disabled. I use it for backing up the office and sharing files. I did reboot the router. but it did not help. I now have the new drive pulled out and console still hangs at the WHS splashscreen. Remote desktop session shows the same splash screen as the console and hangs. weird.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:04 pm 

I would not jump to do a Recovery just yet. I wonder if the system drive might be having some issues. You could try shutting the server down by pressing and releasing the power button then pull the system drive out (Bottom Drive) and install it in another computer internally, or extenally in an external enclosure or docking station and run CHKDSK /r on both partitions of the drive. The Partitions will be named SYS and DATA.

You can also do the same for the other 2 drives just to make certain they are in good condition as well. All you need is one drive to be off to cause issues with WHS. If after running CHKDSK /r on them and they are all in good condition then atleast you would have ruled that issue out and if it did end up correcting issues along the way it may resolve your issue and even if the issue were not resolved you would know your drives are in good working order.

Now there was an update not to long ago that also caused some grief with the console connction but by now you should of gotten past that issue but it created a console connectivity issue that proved to be annoying at the time.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:40 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

running a chkdsk/r did not solve the issue. it did find one file system error in the data partition and repaired it. clicking the Server storage tab in the console still freezes the entire console session before any info is displayed in the tab.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:20 pm 

Your remote access maybe disabled but I believe you may still be able to access the server using Remote Desktop Connection. When it asks you for the computer just enter the name of your server and when it asks you for the user name use Administrator and when asked for the Password use the Servers Password.

If you can make that connection then it will post a warning telling you that you could break WHS if you mess around with it just close that out and you will then see the server desk top. From there see if you can open the Console Connector as there will be an icon for it with the label WINDOW HOME CONSOLE. If you can open that up then you maybe able to see whats going on and while on the desktop you can also check the event logs on the server by Right Clicking on MY COMPUTER then selecting MANAGE and there you will see the EVENT VIEWER where you can examine whats going on and there are other event logs you can look at too if you know where they are but lets just see how you make out with that.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:34 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Remote access has not been able to connect either during this process. If it is working now it would be a neat trick. I'll give it another try but i'm not hopeful.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:41 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

No dice. Remote access does not connect. it still gives me the WHS splash screen. screen shot attached. it also did not ask for a user name/PW is it possible there is a session running that is jammiing it up? this is the first attempt to connect this way since reboot.

Attachments:
server splash screen remote desktop.JPG
server splash screen remote desktop.JPG [ 63.51 KiB | Viewed 14396 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:12 am 

Hi There, I am having the exact same issue and the last thing I can remember doing is performing a remote reboot from the teamviewer app. The server restarted and now when I try to connect either via RDP or the WHS console it freezes on the WHS splash screen. I can still access all shared folders and files ok. This happened to me once before and i couldn't think as to what had caused it but i have a feeling I may of done a remote reboot from team viewer then as well. I ended up running a restore on the system drive and that fixed it - apparently someone mentioned that it ay of had a locked session and that was causing it not to 'logon' again but wasn't sure how to kill all session. I notice when I try managing the server from another machine it does show a session logged in by Administrator but if I try to kill it it prompts me with an error 1726: The remote procedure call failed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:18 pm 

Hi omokorick,

What server model are you running and if its an HP MSS which version of the HP Software are you running? I have all the HP Server Models and I have DEBUG Boards installed on them so I can try to replicate your issue and hopefully see exactly what is happening and hopefully find a solution for you?

I have TeamViewer installed on my primary WHSv1 server which is a custom build and have not run into issues with it but then again I do not recall ever having to shut down or reboot the server from a TeamViewer Session. The issue you mention could be caused from another issue.

Do you happen to run HomeServerSMART Classic or HSS on your server and if so do you recall if the drives were in good working order or not? WHS itself monitors the health of the file system but HSS monitors the physical health of the drives and believe it or not it only takes on drive to cause WHS to act poorly.

If in the past you have done a Server Recovery and its resolved the issue then maybe something as simple as pulling the system drive out and connecting it to client and running a CHKDSK on it might prove to be beneficial. Best way to connect a drive to a client is by using a Docking Station, External Enclosure or a simple USB-SATA Cable to connect the drive externally.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks