It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:48 am 

Hi Comp1962

Thanks heaps for your reply and for assisting to help. Not sure how to find out what version of HP Software i'm running but I know its WHS 2011 running on an HP Data Vault X510. The WHS Connector is coming up green saying Windows Home server is healthy and I can access the shared folders all ok just cant RDP to it anymore. Its almost like everything is fine but it just doesn't initiate the logon once remotely connected. Same thing happens when logging into the windows home server console, just gets to the splash screen and freezes.

Thanks again :)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:14 am 

Hi omokorick,

I am a bit confused here so help me get on the same page as you. Your last post mentions WHS2011 which is a different OS then WHSv1 and HP never released a MediaSmartServer (MSS) or DataVault (DV) with WHS2011. You have an HP DataVault X510 which originally shipped with WHSv1 and HP Software 3.x. By the way its a very nice server you have there.

On WHS v1 the Console is Blue and in WHS2011 the console is called the Dashboard and its Green. Also in WHS2011 you would have a LAUNCHPAD. In the HP Provided Software your Server Icon near the Clock would look like a House but in WHS2011 its sort of looks like a sheet of paper.

The disk sets are also different in that WHSv1 has 3 disks, Server Install, Client Recovery and Client Software where as WHS2011 also has 3 disks OEM Disk, Server Install and Client Recovery.

WHSv1 is a 32bit OS and WHS2011 is a 64bit OS and while they basically do the same thing WHS2011 is way more friendly yet lacks the Drive Extender Feature so you would have to chose your own Redundancy for your data protection be it a 3rd party DE solution like Drive Bender or Stablebit Drive Pool, or setup backup drives or configure a RAID Solution.

Last thing worth mentioning is that WHS2011 has no drivers to run the servers LED's properly so you would have to install a 3rd party LED Driver Software and the INTEL RST Driver just to get eh LED's to work properly otherwise the drive lights would remain off and the health light would blink blue all the time.

With this information can you kindly confirm your running WHSv1 or WHS2011?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:57 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

To Helix: IMHO
I would be looking at finding a way to off load your data (maybe an external drive, which could come in handy later) you should have a backup outside the server anyway.
Then I would purchase a new 2TB drive and do a factory reset and then configure your server how you want it, then you can add your data back.
You will need to uninstall all the connectors on all the clients and doing a full (do over) is a lot of work, but sometimes it's the best thing to do.

I keep my data sync'ed to another server and I also have non-pooled drive server data (shares) backups so doing a reload is not that big a deal.

Let us know your thoughts, it doesn't sound like your gaining any ground and windows, sometimes ya just got to reload.

Good luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks