It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:31 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
I know nothing of WHS 2003 maybe it will work fine with no intervention.
But I doubt it because win10 was released after WHS 2003

Ruben I think OP means the root OS S2k3 with the v1 overlay when referring to WHS-2003 Server

john.dammeyer wrote:
Not even sure I can ever get a 4TB drive working on either WHS2003 or WHS2011 with this PC.

The primary drive is formatted to NTFS in both V1 & WHS11. That's why your 4tb drive was cut down to 2tb. But the 64bit WHS11 will see an externally GPT formatted drive that's over 2tb, just not as the primary drive.

john.dammeyer wrote:
Even though it was able to go online and update explorer to Rev 8 along with a significant number of KBxxxxxx items the microsoft web site doesn't allow access with ie8. Another one of the ways they've broken perfectly working software in order to sell new products.

As I noted in the link below, MS has gradually reduced the updates being pushed to v1 from 236 down to 36 (as of 11/2018). However all 236 security & functional updates are contained in the off-line updater tool (including everything to update .NET framework, IE8, and Wannacry/Bluekeep) found here.

LINKY: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14784

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank lioninstreet for this post
Cthulhu

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:05 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

OK. This is 2 years later. My WIN-7 system is now 13 years old. I've purchased a new motherboard and i5-12600k running 21H2 WIN-10. 64GB RAM. I run the Home Server Connector software just like I did for the HP and it finds the server. The Password hint is correct so I know it's actually reached the server.
But as the attached jpg shows, it can't connect.
I have smb1 enabled. I can access all the server folders from the win-10 system.
What am I missing?
Don't care so much about being able to restore the system. More concerned about the data in the /usr/... folder and the /d:projects...

Attachments:
NoConnection.jpg
NoConnection.jpg [ 27.3 KiB | Viewed 6364 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:48 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

when you installed the connector software did you use the cd or connect to the server and down load it from there..
The reason is sometimes the cd will install the original version connector and will be out of sync with the connector software version used by the server.

Since you did not reformat the server this will be the case.
If you did reformat the server then it could simply be out of sync again due to the server with attempt to upgrade on it's own.
So you just may need to wait a day and try again.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I can access the server from the new WIN-10 system and so I went to \\SERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software and ran it from there.
I'm guessing there is some sort of security issue with this version of WIN-10 that didn't exist with the HP laptop WIN-10. The laptop which works is running 22H2 while for some reason the new workstation is running 21H2. Not sure why it hasn't upgraded to 22H2.
Also there are no warnings or alarms in the toolkit logs.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:02 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

You might want to make sure you have the earlier versions of .NET framework enabled on your new client as well as confirm the time is sync'd between the server and the client. If the battery on the server mobo is the original one, losing a time sync is a common frustration point. batter on the server

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:09 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

the .net enables are the same as the WIN-10 laptop that works. The time is identical on both and sync'd to the same timer server. I can both look at server files from the new WIN-10 system and even remote desktop into it from the new WIN-10 system.
What I still can't do is install the connector software
Attachment:
ConnectorSoftware.jpg
ConnectorSoftware.jpg [ 63.13 KiB | Viewed 6304 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:38 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

He was talking about the cpu time.
Where that the battery died on say the server it may be way off on years with your new pc
This happens because the server is old in the tooth and the battery is dead and needs to be replaced so ,when you reboot it defaults back to around year 2000 until if and when it updates .

Also
Check that you are using a private network not public .
MS will add more security to a public network.
and you are using workgroup as a group
Just guessing at this point.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:04 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yes. Private network. Workgroup. Updated OS to 22H2 so now it matches the HP laptop which is also running WIN_10 22H2. The laptop is automatically backed up every night. There was no problem installing the WHS connector software on it. Since I have a working WIN-10 system I could ideally just compare settings except I don't know which settings or where to look.
I've switched UAC to never. the .NET settings are the same. The clocks are both set from the same time server. I can access all the files on the server from the new machine.

What I think is that somehow the password I use to access the home server is possibly being modified by WIN-10. ie. Instead of say "MyPassword-123" it's submitting "systemname/MyPassword-123" or something like that. If I enter what I know is an invalid password I get the exact same "Operation cannot be completed at this time" dialog.

Does that make sense?

Also, using Firefox I can get to the WHS home screen 192.168.0.101 but the login fails with a security error. That's from both the WIN-10 systems and a WIN-7 system.

Attachments:
LoginScreen.jpg
LoginScreen.jpg [ 69.83 KiB | Viewed 6222 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:10 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Something that I have not visited in all this time since win10 was released was I remember I played around with credentials in win 10 to connect to the server.
Try that.
Go into the windows search bar at the bottom and enter credentials
select the credentials manager

You also may need to disable whatever security software you are using

All I can say is I have three pc's on win 10
One is a home version and two are pro versions and the connector installs without a hitch.
And they are all 64x

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:58 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
Something that I have not visited in all this time since win10 was released was I remember I played around with credentials in win 10 to connect to the server.
Try that.
Go into the windows search bar at the bottom and enter credentials
select the credentials manager

You also may need to disable whatever security software you are using

All I can say is I have three pc's on win 10
One is a home version and two are pro versions and the connector installs without a hitch.
And they are all 64x

I totally believe you. After all I have a WIN-10 laptop running without issues. I've disabled all the protection, anti-virus. Verified that my user is 'john' and that I have the correct password. And yet... I can't get past that fault dialog.

Not sure what to do next.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:50 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Last guess.
Maybe it is the net framework flavors as stated before.
When you install the connector for the first time it does install some of them before completing.
So possibly one of the net framework versions will not install.
I am not sure which ones to do though to manually install them stand alone prior to the connector.
Lionstreet may have those answers.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:54 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

john.dammeyer wrote:
Yes. Private network. Workgroup. Updated OS to 22H2 so now it matches the HP laptop which is also running WIN_10 22H2. The laptop is automatically backed up every night. There was no problem installing the WHS connector software on it. Since I have a working WIN-10 system I could ideally just compare settings except I don't know which settings or where to look.
I've switched UAC to never. the .NET settings are the same. The clocks are both set from the same time server. I can access all the files on the server from the new machine.

What I think is that somehow the password I use to access the home server is possibly being modified by WIN-10. ie. Instead of say "MyPassword-123" it's submitting "systemname/MyPassword-123" or something like that. If I enter what I know is an invalid password I get the exact same "Operation cannot be completed at this time" dialog.

Does that make sense?

Also, using Firefox I can get to the WHS home screen 192.168.0.101 but the login fails with a security error. That's from both the WIN-10 systems and a WIN-7 system.

Here is something I googled on this error
https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/how- ... n-firefox/

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
john.dammeyer