It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:44 pm 

I have just updated to Windows 11 and the WHS Connector has disappeared. Windows does not allow me to reinstall it. Does this mean the end of the road for this fantastic backup system or can anything be done?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have not tried win11 yet but I would bet SMB1 is not installed.
GOTO Turn on windows programs and features if that still exists.
And see if SMB 1 is available to install.

Just found this after posting.
Watch video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sgicO4L4d4

If it were me I would uncheck the automatic removal option.

For me I am going to wait till I get a nag to upgrade to win 11

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:22 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I just added a Windows 11 laptop to my home mix. I am successfully using whs v1with W7, W8.1 and W10 clients. When I tried to install the connector on the 11 machine, I get past the MediaSmart app installation app and all the way through the connector software install until where you enter your password for the home server. This results in an error - "this operation cannot be completed at this time". From there, connector uninstalls. I am setup as Private network, file sharing turned on, smb1 is all turned on, and I can rdp into my home server. I also tried creating a simple password with no special characters. On one reinstall attempt, somehow (not sure the sequence), the connector actually got installed (greyed out icon in taskbar) -- however, when I tried to login by adding password, I got the same operation cannot be completed error. Also, sometimes, after the connector install unwinds, I get a "Wake on Lan configuration failed" error message. Must be something fairly simple - hoping W11 is not the end of the road ...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:45 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Adding some additional information about this issue. When the password is rejected per above, the event viewer has this error message: "Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.3436.0, but partner computer ServerXYZ uses protocol version 6.0.2423.0. A connection cannot be established."

This error has a history with the Connector install and backup issues going back to the early days of WHS. But I could not find a definitive explanation or resolution to this error. Some in fact noted that sometimes the connector installs even when this error occurs. So, doesn't really help. And the versions referenced are both valid software versions I believe for the latest updates. On my server 6.0.3436.0 is the version of the Remote Access program, and 6.0.2423.0 is the version for the Server Console, Backup & Restore and Drive Extender programs.

I also looked on the Server side and found this application error: An SSL connection request was received from a remote client application, but none of the cipher suites supported by the client application are supported by the server. The SSL connection request has failed. I believe this is a SSL/TLS issue. Over my head here but I think Windows 11 drops TLS 1.0 support completely. I'm not clear why the client app can't use the protocol it needs but maybe Windows 11 forces a higher level protocol?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:53 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I thought I would add some more info to this thread in-case it inspires anyone to continue investigating. I still run WHS v1. It backs up several computers so I was sad when I discovered it would not connect with my new Windows 11 laptop.

Given that my Windows 10 21H1 machines still connect, I looked at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... s-10-v20h2 and compared the CipherSuites in Windows 10 with Windows 11. There are two CipherSuites in Windows 10 that are not enabled in Windows 11; TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA and TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA.

You can use Windows Powershell to enable these. On my Windows 11 machine I used the Get-TlsCipherSuite -Name "<insert one of the above>" to confirm it was not enabled and then used the command Enable-TlsCipherSuite -Name "<insert one of the above>".

Full details of these commands are at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powers ... ver2019-ps.

Regardless, it didn't work and I still have the same problem as the OP.

Maybe I missed something, or maybe WHS v1 with Windows 11 flat-out isn't possible??

Kind Regards

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:11 am 

I just had to get a couple new laptops and I went with Win11. I have the same issue.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:14 am 

Igor at Microsoft Answer forums says the ride is over..
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... e26969ecce

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:18 am 

You can still access the folders on the server--but the connector software doesn't work. So unless a fix is made by the smart guys I'll have to upgrade one of my other servers. I'll see if any of the WHS boxes running other software are able to work. I'll post what I find out here.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:41 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I've seen this error before and if memory serves the connector mismatch is fixed by first doing a rdp into the v1 desktop, copying the connector software on the server to your client desktop from C:WHS (I think) and then installing to the client. You may have to remove whatever was installed on the client first.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:59 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have not started using windows 11 yet, I always wait until the last minute to ditch the last operating system.
Here's hoping a work around can be found for 11 to keep the WHS V1 functional for backups as this was such a great feature of these units.
I have been toying around with trying out the newest sever operating system from Microsoft, but the cost to purchase it and knowing that eventually it will probably stop working (when windows 21 comes out LOL) is making me think it could be a waste of money and time.
I love the simplicity and functions of WHS V1 as do most people who have used it, maybe a new WHS version will be invented in the future.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:12 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Anyone with w11 care to further comment on their experience on this?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:51 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi all,

Just recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and had to experience the dreadful error message indicating Win 11 does not support WHS anymore.

I am not tech savvy enough to dig into the system to tweak the WHS Connector Installation process, but of course willing to try out anything that is being thrown at me concerning this situation. After using WHS for +17 years, I really want to try anything to get this on my Win 11 machine!

Any suggestions?

Thx

Luc

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:10 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

IMHO Windows 11 was not worth the upgrade to loose WHS v1... so on my new laptop I went back to Windows 10.

I know I'm delaying the inevitable... but I still haven't found a disaster recovery solution for Windows as easy or as good as WHS (C: drive failure kind of disasters).

WHS is Microsoft's version of Apple's TimeMachine... an effortless backup and recovery solution.

I would be happy to learn if credible alternatives to WHS exist.

Thank you.
Ian

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:37 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

lucsch wrote:
Hi all, Just recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and had to experience the dreadful error message indicating Win 11 does not support WHS anymore. Any suggestions?

Which v1 install disk version are you trying to install?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:32 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

lioninstreet wrote:
lucsch wrote:
Hi all, Just recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and had to experience the dreadful error message indicating Win 11 does not support WHS anymore. Any suggestions?

Which v1 install disk version are you trying to install?

Well, the one that is on the WHS, which you typically access with in a browser with <WHSservername>:55000 and which then downloads the WHSConnectorInstall.exe file. This in fact launches the InstallShield Wizard for HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Update 1 (x64) and also installs it correctly. It then launches the Windows Home Server Connector but when one enters the WHS password the error message "This operation cannot be completed at this time" appears and the Next button stays greyed out... The only thing that can be done is cancel the install!

If someone can tweak that WHS Connector installation exe, I'm all ears to try whatever it needs!

Rgds

Luc

Thanks