It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:42 pm 

One of my clients is using an EX470 and had a power outage over the weekend and now 2 of her 3 desktops cannot access the Public Folder where all her data is stored (we have backups of the data)
When she clicks on the mapped drives or the shared folders she gets a network login prompt.

Logging in with her username and pw doesn't work. The box just comes up again saying something along the lines of the password is incorrect. Nor does logging in with another user's account. Logging in in with the admin account doesn't work. The password box just keeps coming up.

The MediaSmart icon in the system tray is grayed out. However, it is possible to login to the Server. I have tried re-installing the MediaSmart connector software. It see the Server and asks for the PW but I get an incorrect password message.

The two PCs are W7 Pro 64bit.

On the other hand, there is another desktop -it's an XP Pro machine - and this can still access the Public folder and the MediaSmart icon in the system tray shows up as Green.

I logged into the Server and created a new account to test it, but could not access the Server's shares.

Finally, I can RDP in, but other than access the files in the Shares, I'm not sure what else I can try.
Anyone come across this issue or has a suggestion?

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank mikej for this post
rcottrell

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:28 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

First I would reboot everything and let it settle for a bit, including the router. Might help.
Power all down, bring the router up first, then the server, then the pc's.

Then, Do you have the free SMART addin to see if the harddrives are ok?

Lastly, I would rdp in, move the users data, then delete the accounts, uninstall the connector on each one and start over.
I had never heard of this problem before and it seems to be just the win7, which all 9 of my boxes are win7 and have never had any access problems.
All my passwords are the same (which is not good) but it's easy and they all auto login.

Good luck Maybe somebody else has something with less work.

P.S. I see where you mapped drives/shares, I try not to do that, just sayin, they seem to break to easy.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
mikej
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:14 am 

Thanks. I haven't installed the SMART addin. I will look at that.
I created a new account for myself yesterday when I was troubleshooting but could not login.

Does anyone know if there any way of restoring a backup of the registry using RDP- i wish system restore was an option but it isn't?
Or has anyone tried running checkdisk or SFC on a MediaSmart with any success?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:20 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Checkdisk can be used to see if the drives are physically good, it might fix some basic errors/bad sectors.

But power loss can corrupt the OS that has been proven many times.
It sounds like you know the admin password to the server, but the win7 boxes have lost there connection with it.

I'm not convinced that reloading the server would help.
You could mark the drives (so you can put them back in same place) pull all of them, put a new drive in the botton bay and load it and try to attach the win7 pc's to it.

I realize this is a lot of work, but it's all that I can think of.... Ya got me stumped, this just doesn't make sense.
Could there be some kind of virus/firewall on those win7 pc's that have severed the connection?

Maybe you could barrow someones win7 laptop and try connecting a new win7 pc and see what happens.

Sorry, just spitballing.... Good luck and let us know how it turns out, could come in handy for someone else. :-)

P.S. You do know you can open the console on the server when you make a rdp connection to it? Can you change the user account passwords, I don't remember, I know you can't change the admin password. Pretty sure.
Good luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:22 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Yo Mike, I'm just a child among men here.. but can you ping the server (via ip or name) from those win7 pc's?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:01 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

To true, if you can't ping it, there is no hope of doing anything else with it.
PING ip address -t enter.
Have no idea of your network, maybe bad router, maybe bad switch? I assume you are getting the internet on those PC's.
Very strange. Good luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 pm 

Thanks for all the replies. I kept checking back here until the end of last week for further suggestions.
Yes - I had the admin pw and that allowed me to login to the HP and create a new account - and change the admin PW- but neither of those worked.
I was able to RDP in, so I assumed that I could ping from all the W7 PCs but didnt see the need to do that.
All the W7 PCs could see the server on the network, but only the XP machine could access the Public folder.

Anyway, end of last week, when I had to bite the bullet , I did a server recovery. The server recovery fixed it. The data was still there, the shares were still there, & the images were still there. I had to recreate the accounts and set the permissions. Updates took the longest time but now all seems to be working.

Now I need to figure out if a UPS will work with the MediaSmart, and shut it down in a controlled fashion ahead of the next power outage. I know there are some threads about this and mentioning APC backup UPSs but got the impression that setting a controlled shutdown in the HP was not possible, or would cause issues.
I'm creating a new thread for this.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:41 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

congrats, sounds similar to my power outage experience as well.. see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14042 for my details, yes, also did a server recovery to resolve... i'll look for your new post on UPS...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:07 pm 

Cannot believe it but the same issue just occurred. The server was shutdown properly, using the Shutdown option in the WHS software end of last week as there was more Con Ed work going on. Then started the WHS up today and only the XP PC could connect to the Shares including the Public folder. Both W7 PC's got the dreaded Network Login User password dialog box. We tried a server recovery again and it failed with an error during the server updates. We will try another recovery tomorrow and if that doesn't work, we will have to do a factory reset.
So it was working fine for one week, Now back to square one. I assume it's unique to us and not some Windows Update as no one else on this forum appears to have the same issue.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank mikej for this post
rcottrell
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:28 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Did you have the FREE SMART program on that server, may be a drive acting up.
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip
I wouldn't have a server without it.
Good luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:53 am 

I know this is old, but I had this exact problem and found the solution, so maybe this will be useful to someone searching for this issue in the future.

My initial outage was not a power outage, but an outage I initiated because my power supply fan started failing (making some awful grinding noises) and I shut down my server for a few days while I got a replacement power supply shipped. Once I replaced the power supply, the server booted up okay, but I could no longer access shares on the server from any of my clients, and the WHS icon in the system tray of my clients stayed grayed out. I could ping the WHS from my client by both its' name and IP address, and I could RDP into the WHS, but could not access any shares on it from any PC on my network. Any attempt to access a share caused a login prompt and none of the known username/password combinations configured on the WHS worked (I knew the accounts were good because I was able to RDP in with the ones that were allowed, and I had used several of the accounts recently. I also noticed that I could not access shares on my PC's from my WHS either.

The issue turned out to be the clock/time on the WHS. It was set to Jan 2007 (it's Mar 2017 as I write this). It took me 3-4 days of on/off troubleshooting to discover this, and I only found it as a result of seeing that my Windows event logs last entries were when my server was previously shut down, and had entries later in the logs with the much earlier dates.

I suspect that Windows file sharing requires clocks to be set somewhat close together so that file update times are properly tracked. With the clocks so far apart, it probably rejected the logins right after they were entered, and gave me a completely misleading "incorrect password" error. Once I fixed the clock on the WHS, I was able to access shares and the WHS tray icons on my clients un-grayed shortly thereafter.

I suspect that after being in service for almost a decade, the CMOS battery on the WHS motherboard didn't have enough juice to keep the clock going for the few days my server was powered off waiting for a new power supply. As the OP of this post had a power outage the first time his error occurred and a scheduled outage due to electrical work, then potentially his CMOS battery was similarly drained and unable to maintain clock while his power was out. I imagine that unless I change the battery, this error will recur each time my server is powered off for a few hours.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank nosoop4u for this post
rcottrell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:09 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Great idea, I keep forgetting about the Date/Time thing as it has never happened to me (knock on wood) lolol
And leave it to Microsoft to have an error that is less then helpful.

Good luck all and enjoy!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
overthehill
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:39 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Great post. I've had this happen about a half dozen times on both 485 and 495 machines. I've performed a Recovery as well as changed machines, swapped drives, etc. Never knew it could be a clock thing. Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:10 pm 

I am so thankful I found this post. Here we are in January 2022 and I just encountered the same problem. The power supply in my EX 485 died (for the second time since 2009) after a series of unplanned utility outages. I had my server and two other computers protected by a CyberPower UPS so they shut down cleanly, but apparently the repeated shutdowns and reboots so close together killed the server's power supply. It sat unused for a couple of weeks until I had time to acquire a new power supply. While I had the server apart, I put in a fresh CR2022 battery as it had not been replaced since the previous time the power supply crapped out.

When I got the system running again, I experienced the same issues. The only thing I could do was RDP to the server using the admin account credentials (I didn't try any of the user accounts). Client systems were not recognized and all attempts to access the defined shares failed with authentication errors. I tried accessing from both Windows 11 and Linux Ubuntu clients.

So now I have reset the clock to current time and things are beginning to look up. The system recognized one of my Windows backup clients and I am currently re-installing the connecter software on another Windows 11 client. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the problem is solved and I can once again access all the shares on my server.

My thanks to the original posters for their troubleshooting ideas and in particular nosoop4u for the answer to this unusual problem.

Thanks