It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:08 am 

Hi, can anyone help?

The latest Windows Update will no longer let the "Windows Home Server Connector" to connect.
Keeps telling me my password is wrong even though it is correct.

I know it has to do with the latest Windows 10 update because running 3 computers on my trustworthy WHS MediaSmart Server EX490. Two of computers got the windows 10 update and one is running Windows 8.
> The windows 8 computer still can connect to my MediaSmart server with no problem.

> However, the other two Windows 10 computers that got the latest updates can no longer connect but they worked fine a week ago). I tried to re-install the "Windows Home Server Connector" but that too during the install says my password to the Homer Server is incorrect. Even though I can re-install it on my Windows 8 computer with the exact same server password and it connects fine.

So this password problem showed up twice; first when accessing shared folders (using the computer account password [setup on the Server] when I first discovered the problem; and then again when trying to install the "connector" software using the main Server password. [I know the user account and server passwords are correct as have been using for many years now with no problem].

The problem is related to the latest Windows 10 update along with subsequent security updates automatically rolled out. Seems like the password is no longer negotiating correctly with the server.

My guess would be some security policy changed in the latest updates not allowing the basic communication between computer and server.

Windows OS: Windows 10 Home, Version 1903, OS build 18362.295

PLEASE anyone have any ideas on it? I really miss my MediaSmart! THANK YOU!!!!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:41 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I will take a guess here and say it is smb.
WHS requires smb 1.
Win 10 wants to delete smb1 and use smb 2.
There is a post here somewhere about it.
But just goto programs and features then click on turn features on or off. and look to see if smb1 is installed if not install it. Don't install the auto delete.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
Jim_Mazz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:59 am 

Ruben, thanks for the smb tip.

1. I just confirmed the setting. SMB 1.0 Client was checked but also the "automatic removal" was checked as well. So I unchecked the Automatic Removal as picture below. Rebooted and tried again but still not working.

2. As another clue, my Windows 8 computer just stopped accessing the SHARE folders as well. So now it has me thinking something happened to my WHSv1 OS. The symptoms are:

a) On my PC's, the Windows Home Server "CONNECTOR" shows the SERVER operational. I can log into the server just fine using the Windows Home Server Console. Everything seems fine here.

b) However, I cannot access any share folders on any computer. I get a "Enter network credentials" pop up and when I enter the password, it comes back with error message "either username or password is incorrect." I have several User Accounts setup and none are working (and they all worked 1 week ago, been using for several years now). For troubleshooting I even enabled the GUEST account with no password and tried to log in that way but even that told me the GUEST username or password account was incorrect..

I guess I will try a RESTORE to see if this clears the problem.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas on it.
THANK YOU!

Attachment:
SMB 1.0 - Windows Features On or Off.png
SMB 1.0 - Windows Features On or Off.png [ 25.65 KiB | Viewed 18877 times ]

Attachments:
Local Group Policy gpedit.msc.png
Local Group Policy gpedit.msc.png [ 422.18 KiB | Viewed 18877 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:17 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Before you do a recovery on the server try re-installing the connector software on the pc completely.
depending on if a 32 or 64 bit.
You will have 3 files.
Hp media smart server ( this should show (x64) if the pc os is 64 bit.)
HP update
windows home server connector.
Uninstall them
Reboot
Then just goto windows explorer select networks and select the server.
Then select the software folder then the home server connector software folder.
Then select setup.exe
Don't use the cd for the connector software because it will not be a current version with what the server uses.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
Jim_Mazz
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:54 am 

Attachment:
Disk Management.png
Disk Management.png [ 134.77 KiB | Viewed 18789 times ]
Attachment:
Server Storage.png
Server Storage.png [ 157.7 KiB | Viewed 18789 times ]
Ruben,

Thanks for the advice. I re-installed the connector on all the computers but still came up with the same problem cannot log in to any account. Also the accounts kept LOCKING so I was using the console login and computer management to unlock them. My only guess was some networking service on the WHS crashed and wouldn't restart with reboots.

Anyway, I did a server RECOVERY over the weekend and it did fixed the login-in problem BUT now have a HUGE problem.

I feel sick. My server has my whole life's worth of data 14 TB. From movies and pictures from my kids being born and growing up to all my important files like taxes, etc. 14 TB of files!!!! I am shocked that the server on recovery forgot where my files are saved!

It seems now that most of my files NOT ACCESSIBLE. Two problems:

a) I see MOST of the SHARE directories and file names but when I click on them I get "There was an error opening the document. Access denied." (see pic below). A few files do open but most do not.

b) Some directories are now empty that used to have files.

I see all my drives and they are mounted (see pic). So it is the file management system that got screwed up.
Is there any way to recover my 14TB off these drives ? (Is there any utility to review all the drive files and rebuild the file structure where they are at?)

Also, should I leave the WHS running (it already ran 12 hours) as I am worried that it might over-write some of my data (since it doesn't know where it is at.) I did turned backup off as I didn't want to put anymore data on the server until I could resolve these files missing issue.

ANY HELP WILL BE SUPER APPRECIATED. THANK YOU!
(I won't have a good night sleep until I get this resolved.)

Attachment:
Server Storage.png
Server Storage.png [ 157.7 KiB | Viewed 18789 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:05 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Okay couple issues.
First all the drives should be readable if you turn off the server pull a drive and connect it to a pc.
The files are not encrypted.
You can buy a device if you don't have one like:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Uni ... 79&sr=8-18
That is the one I use.

As long as you performed a recovery correctly with your data drives installed the files should be there unless they are corrupted.
They may just not be visible yet , even though they are actually still there.
So for this issue because it is a large datapool it may take days to rebuild the tomestones that mark where the files are.
You last attachment show 7tb for system and it should be like 20gb.
That it is why I think it is not done with the recovery yet rebuilding tomestones.

If it were me I would pick a drive shut down the server pull that drive and connect it to your pc and see if data is in fact there.
If so put the drive back in the server turn it on and let it run a few days.
I would suspect the two that show 0kb free. They may be corrupted.
I don't use that plugin but the bar chart shows red for those two drives.
You have smart installed and I would rely on that plugin for any stats on the drive above all else.

Also your two backup drives will be partially encrypted but your pool drives are not.

If you did not have the pool drives installed during recovery then it probably would be best to pull all your drives.
Buy two net new drives install them in the server.
Then connect your old pool drives one at a time to a pc. look for files. Create the needed root shared folder in the server and then copy files from the pool drive in the pc to the server.
It is a long process. Because you have duplication turned on and you will not know whick one it is till you attempt to copy. Also there is not a drive for duplication so don't skip a drive just because the first file was a duplicate.
Also you may need to run chkdsk on a drive or two.
Once you copy a complete drive over.
Then add it to the server and start with the next old pool drive.
So the two net new drives were just for some storage space to move the files over. So when you are done you will end up with two unused old drives.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
Jim_Mazz
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:04 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

One thing I forgot to mention.
When you connect a pool drive to a pc .
In file explorer you will need to turn on view hidden folders and files.
Your data will be in a sub folder.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
Jim_Mazz
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:14 am 

Hi Ruben,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the info to copy the Data directly from each Drive using my PC to rebuild the server. I am going to go with that approach as it sounds like the safest way to proceed. I got a good night sleep last night as now I think I got a reasonable chance of recovering my life's worth of data.

QUESTION: Will the drive data files in the subfolders be in the DIRECTORIES where they were located ? (another way of saying, is the directory file structure preserved on each drive?)

Thank you again for the info and link to the drive docking station. I got that on order already.

Just to add some more info on my WHS recovery process, I did have some trouble as it kept on failing in the initial step (after holding reset on the WHS), the "Software Reinstall" CD program came up with an "unspecified error" several times after about 10 minutes.

I googled on internet and someone said to remove all drives except the SYSTEM drive and try again. So I did that and after a few more fail attempts I cleared that error; and then it came to the menu asking to RE-INSTALL or RESET the server. At this point I plugged back all my DRIVES and picked RE-INSTALL.

However, after about 10 minutes I noticed that 3 of my drives were not all the way seated in the WHS (front door would not close), so I pressed them all in. But that was about 10 minutes after the RE-INSTALL started. So maybe that had something to do with it. Or maybe as you said it may all come back after running several days to rebuild the tomestones that mark where the files are.

Regarding the 2 drives in RED you noticed in my picture, the DISK MANAGEMENT add-in just shows the drive in RED when it is more than 90% full. Next to that it advised the health of the drive. Also I have another add-in called "Home Server SMART Classic" that does a more detailed health check of the drives and all were good (I posted that pic below). Let me know if you need info to get these Add-ins. I will run chkdsk just to be sure as you recommended! [by the way, I came across another Add-in that looked useful for my recent problems but the ftp site that stored it was no longer in use so could not get it. Do you know anything about this Add-in "Duplication Info" ? http://www.mswhs.com/2007/11/duplicatio ... s-updated/ ]

Looking forward to updating this post again after I go through the process of reading all my drives as to what happened. Hopefully it is a success story.

Best Regards, Jim Mazz

Attachments:
Home Server SMART Classic (Disk drive health).png
Home Server SMART Classic (Disk drive health).png [ 134.02 KiB | Viewed 18726 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:56 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

There are only two methods to run from the recovery cd.
reset -which is destructive and will wipe all the drives.
recovery which will format just the os drive and re-install the os.
I hope you used recovery.

The bad part is the drives that were not seated, it may have skipped them as far as rebuilding tombstones.

And yes the files are under the same folders

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
Jim_Mazz
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:15 pm 

For what it's worth, I was just bit by this (or something very similar). Basically MSFT is actively killing SMB via updates. And then when we overreact (like I did -- hard reboot x2), we load up our already fragile hardware and software. And then boom, we go from broken SMB to broken box.

A couple updates ago, my Home Connecter wouldn't run. I had to start it in compatibility mode. I could still access the server via Explorer. Last update I did totally killed the Home Connector. I had to reinstall. Again, I could still access the server via Explorer.

Today, things got real. Explorer seemed to be "running" but everything was grayed out. I couldn't access the server via Explorer or mapped drives. I forced a reboot of the server. I might have done this twice. In the past, that's been needed because the slow original celeron single core would get stuck. I'm pretty sure doing that regularly accelerated the failing of iffy drives. Once I updated to dual core pentium that issue mostly went away, but I still turned to the hammer (forced reboot) first.

Unfortunately that didn't change anything (and fortunately didn't break anything -- possibly the case for OP?, which made me suspect Windows Update. I checked all three win 10 machines and they all had the same issue. Sigh...

I used the tips here to re-enable SMB and remove the "uninstall SMB when not used" flag. After a reboot, and then entering my network credentials, I was able to see the server shares in Explorer again. After reinstall of the Home Server Connector (credentials again), I was able to use it normally to log into server (and see the connector on the tray of all three machines). Yay.

What's this tell me? The writing is on the wall. MSFT is actively trying to kill the last remaining WHS V1 machines. Time (not like i haven't had enough) to find an alternative!

Thanks everyone for keeping this forum alive and kicking!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank hereusethis for this post
Jim_Mazz
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:33 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

If I remember correctly, the SMB compatibility issue with the update shutting off SMB v1 has been around since w10-1803. But you are correct @hereusethis that at some point SMB v1 will be gone from the client w10 OS entirely. But I don't think it's about MS wanting to kill WHSv1.

My gut feeling is that there are so many commercially used systems & softwares out there that are still dependent on SMB v1 that it's still a while off (maybe a few years or so).

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank lioninstreet for this post
Jim_Mazz
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:17 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

What I have found is if you continue to use apps that use smb1 then it will stay active.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks