It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:02 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thought I would throw this in here even though "Home Servers" are becoming a thing of the past. :-)

I was not unlike so many that looked towards the future and built my own server and purchased Server 2012E for down the road.
I realize that Microsoft will not support the WHS versions, so I paid my money.
But "Rant"
Has anybody noticed how many people have been bit by the "Broken Updates" On Vista/Win7/Win8 and now on Server 2012E? (Windows Update just sets there and runs forever and is broken).

I fire up my 2012E server a few times a year to get updates and blow the dust out. This last time I did something has gotten broken with the updates. At this time I have found little help to fix and it looks like a recovery back to a previous "backup" or reloading will be the only way to maybe fix it.
I also see where this is happening to server 2012 R2 as well......

Microsoft pushing out updates that break Clients and Servers, WTH, really not setting well with me and I know others not happy as well.

i guess all I can say is beware, even a Server OS that cost well over $300 is not immune to Microsoft Breaking it.
Quote:
Make sure you do the Backups because more then likely you will need them is all I can say.

Edit: After a couple of days trying to fix updates, uninstalling updates back to oct 2016 and still not working, I thought "I will just restore the server to a year or so ago because I have a 1tb red in the server just for server backups. Yah! But wait, no matter if I use the cd or F8 and pick Repair, I point to the backup drive and it will not go back more then a couple of days. WTH, I know I have done full server backups, at least 4-5 of them over the last couple of years.
So looks like a full reload. Wow, great work Microsoft.
Don't know why The server has server backups if you can't use them...
Don't know why I thought 2012E would be any better then anything else MS has done. Glad this server was not live.

Anyway, Enough rant, All I can say is beware and good luck.

Good Luck all.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Last edited by Gardian on Tue May 09, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:35 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, performed a reload and low and behold "no updates at all.
So googling found that Microsoft stopped support for 2012E Jan 2017.

So I did the Offline Update WSUS and grabbed them while I could, applying them now.

Almost $400 dollars for a server OS that I never put in production and it has already reached EOL.

Just thought I would follow up and warn all, grab them while you can.

I refuse to spend any more money with Microsoft.
No 2016
No win 10

I'm done with them, when it all stops working I will be going MAC and Chrome.

Good Luck all.

Rant Complete :-)

Edit: Applying the offline updates and it gets stuck on the July 2016, just sets there and looks forever. So, looks like 2012E is really end of the road, can't even use the older updates, what a waste of money.
Thank God WHSv1 is still running strong.
Good Luck all, If I am able to get these updates installed I will reply again, but my guess is it's done.

Edit 2: Not being one to give up easily, I pondered my future options with a few 4tb reds and potently larger in the future.
My vanilla whs v1 was out with only 2tb drives.
My whs 2011 is still kind of an option, but if I am going to do that, might as well use 2012E and just screw the updates, it's on the inside of the network, not using the domain or vpn so it's attach surface is small.
So I reloaded it fresh again with a very simple domain name and chose no updates on the install because it was halting the install with having them checked.
It's up and running, configured and for shoots and giggles I turned on updates. They said the would automatically install during server maintenance. I figured, what the heck, if it never got any it would be fine by me.

I just checked the status and it says it has found 129 updates and it will install them during the next server scheduled maintenance. I will post back when it does or more then likely fails.
More to come.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:18 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Final: As of 5/2017 Server 2012 E.
I did another clean load and did not change any settings.
The server preformed "server maintenance" and installed about 180 of 200 updates. About 20 were cancelled for some reason.
So for now, I guess it still works, but still don't trust it.

Good luck all....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:44 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I've managed to avoid Win10 on any of my home PCs - I just don't see a point to 'upgrade' from Win7, but as a former gamer, I realize that they will eventually force my hand by requiring the newest OS to get DirectX12 to run, so its inevitable. I just reloaded WHSv1 on my EX470 last weekend - since I moved to 2+GB drives, I am forced to then reinstall WHS2011 to get them to be properly seen by the OS, so like you I highly favor WHSv1, but I need to move to 2011 just to gain access to significantly larger drives that I have.

As anything that carries the name 'Microsoft', its very hard to trust them these days when all of the telemetry stuff is baked into Win10, and the firewall will even allow it to send out stuff that would normally be blocked by any third party vendor. There was a major bug announcement a few days ago that there was a remote code exec discovered in MS own Defender antimalware software that took MS only 2 days to patch. How bad must that have been to get MS to act on it in 2 days time ?!?!

https://winbuzzer.com/2017/05/09/microsoft-fixes-crazy-bad-zero-day-windows-defender-vulnerability-two-days-xcxwbn/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:59 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I hear ya on No Win 10.
My daughter is the only win 10 in the house and that was her choice for a New Laptop for collage.
I keep her on a virtual network so it can not be snooping the rest on the network.
We have 5 laptops All win7 except for 1 that has xp and will not upgrade. I keep it setup with the WHS v1 dics on the desktop just for server reloading.
We have 6 desktops, all win 7 except for 1 that has vista, I do have an upgrade for that one when the wife feels the need.

I am a gamer as well, so I hear ya down the road, one day at a time, we'll see.

So far this 2012E has picked up another 20-30 updates and appears to be done for now. It will remain in test status until whs v1 won't go anymore.

Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:51 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, Last followup on this one, it is still working good, picking up more updates and all seems back to normal.

I have noticed that if I use the "Server Maintenance" it will pickup any updates/backup the os/and do whatever else it does, which seems to work better then just going straight to the windows update and running it manually.

Glad it works, at least that money wasn't lost, but it is touchy at best and will never be WHS V1 :-) But I see 4 tb Reds pricing is still falling, another $10-$20 dollars and I will start picking up a few more to add to it.

Still will miss Whs V1 but for now the next step is still working.

Good Luck to all.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:46 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, here we are again, I left the server off for a couple of months and now it won't update again.
I have just about had it with this 2012E... I see lots of posts with the same problem, but no fixes.

I figure I have two choices:
1. Turn updates off.
2. Reload it and make dam sure I turn it on every month to get updates.

Microsoft, as soon as the open source community fully implements "Steam" on a Linux Desktop, I am going to ditch windows for good.
Pickup a couple of chrome books and be done.

Anyway, beware of win 2012E and broken unfixed updates.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:50 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Microsoft usual keeps the updates well past EOL online.
The problem is they are not automatic,meaning you have to manually find them and download them.
I found this to be true when I had windows xp and office 2000.
Both were EOL.
But searching microsoft I found all the updates.
But I had to selectively pick and choose them to download.
That was the hard part.
When say a auto update installed 30 updates, in manual mode had to do them one at a time.
I am not defending MS ,myself I am ready to start looking at a linux build.
They are free.
The hard part is picking a build you like and has drivers that support your pc hardware.
My nas and media players use linux already.
They run faster manage memory better.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:51 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm thinkinh if I have to re-load, may put whs 2011 on it, couldn't be any worse lolololo hopefully.

Yes, I am just about at the end of the road with Microsoft. I have enjoyed them since windows 3.1 for wordgroups, but they are shooting themselves in the foot so bad now.
The only thing stopping me from using a Nas is the (pull a drive and be able to read it) otherwise, I would Nas it up.

I did try to install the updates manually, it just sets their running forever and does nothing.

So
WHS 2011 or reload or just shut off updates and be done.

I retire in 4-5 years, may decide then lolololoo

Good Luck and enjoy!!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:34 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Gardian wrote:
I'm thinkinh if I have to re-load, may put whs 2011 on it, couldn't be any worse lolololo hopefully.

Good Luck and enjoy!!!!
Basically you'll be facing the same issues as doing a fresh install of w7sp1. It's not as painless as installing the 236 w2k3/WHSv1 updates using WSUS off-line (see my thread on that here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14784). But in exchange for a bit more grief, with Vail you get to run drives over 2gb without using work-arounds and get SMB v2.1. Not to mention, even though your getting SMB 3.0 with w8/wse2012, the root OS for Vail is certainly less quirky.

If you end up going in this direction while w2k8r2 updates are still all being pushed in Windows Update, start by installing the root Vail OS. Then setup Windows Update to check for updates without installing and run the update search. Next start by installing the drivers that come up, nothing else. Then restart, re-run Windows Update, and now only install the critical updates that are w2k8 specific (no WHS updates, no .NET framework updates, no C++ updates, etc.). Additionally (AND VERY IMPORTANT), limit what you are installing only to updates dated pre-2016.

Time again for a restart. Then using a spare terminal with an internet connection, download to a USB stick KB3177467 for Windows 8 R2 (both the 10/10/16 critical update and the 10/8/18 security update) found here: posting.php?mode=quote&f=40&t=14474&p=106042 . Manually install them both on the server OS, the critical update first. Restart again, but during this restart, you may find yourself stuck on "Stage 2 of 2" or "Stage 3 of 3" of the update install. If you encounter this issue, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and the system will to continue to log on. This should occur only one time and does not prevent updates from installing successfully. In the odd chance you encounter this you can find details here. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... 2008-r2-sp

Then restart and run Windows Update again. Carefully choose any remaining critical updates dated prior to 7/21/16 (this is when Microsoft started packaging updates into monthly cumulative updates). Once this is done, restart, run Windows Update again, install the remaining excluded updates for WHS, .NET, etc. Again, do not include any of the OS updates that may come up dated 7/21/16 or after. They will be all installed using the next & last step.

Now you need the terminal with on-line access and USB stick again. Go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... 9x33e0nj00, find the most recent cumulative critical update listed that is not showing as a preview or a security only, download (it will be a big file) and manually install it on the server. Restart, run Windows Update again, and as your last step, install any remaining non critical updates (there shouldn't be many if there are any at all). A final restart and Windows Update run should show the OS is now fully updated.

This system worked pretty well for me, but clearly is not ideal. ](*,)

Once the final WS2008r2 updates push and extended support ends, time permitting I'm hoping to revisit with the guys at WSUS off-line and to do an off line update package for Vail.

In the meantime, so you don't loose pooling when using Vail, download a copy of Stablebit's Drivepool just in case it goes EOL. It has several options that allow management of how data is written to the pool of drives (such as filling 1 drive then moving to the next keeping files together), and is free to download. You pay about $30 when you install. On the other hand Division-M's DriveBender now offers a pool firewall to help protect files under specific folders from being modified by unauthorized processes such as ransomware and other malicious applications.

For me, home servers are alive and well. It's nice to have access to your personal file even when the internet goes down. A few years ago a big storm rolled thru, power was out for days. No Comcast either. But no file access issues. I just had to switch on my trusty Honda backup generator...

IMHO, when an ISP is down, you might get lucky enough to use a phone as a hotspot to browse, but there just isn't enough chutzpa there for heavy lifting.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks