It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:18 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I've been running WS2012 R2 Essentials for a couple of months now, and all in all it's been performing fine.
I've set the system to send me a daily health report asnd two days ago I got a message notifying me that the Security Center (wscsvc) was not running. I could not find the service in Services.msc and after googling around decided to try using 'sfc /scannow'. The sfc command then reported it had found corrupted files and had succesfully repaired them. Problem solved, the error message did not show up again.

But I'm worried because something obviously corrupted those files. I'm running Home Server SMART 2013 and it reports that de OS HDD is an shiny example of perfect health, as are the other HDD's. So now I'm thinking I may have caught some malware and should install anti-virus software. Do any of you have any experience with AV on WS2012 R2 Essentials? I tried installing Microsoft Endpoint Protection 2012 (http://www.pwrusr.com/system-administration/microsoft/2-free-microsoft-windows-server-2012-antivirus-solutions), but it reports that it is not compatible. And I'm not a big fan of MSE

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Bert-Jan

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:25 am 

Here is how to install Microsoft Forefront on WS2012 which was done prior to the R2. http://www.tinkertry.com/antivirus4ws2012e/

I actually ran it for while but I found that it created issues with my FTP setup causing the server to actually lock up so if your running FTP on the server this may not be such a good idea to try. I will also mention doing this is not supported by Microsoft. While I have provided the link I would encourage you to see if others have run this in R2 and to find out what if any issues it may have created if any at all.

You should make sure first and foremost that any computer which connects to your server has good AV and Malware protection. If you open the server up to others then you should only allow individuals with good protection to be able to write files to your server.

As for file corruption there are a number of reasons why file corruption can occur. HomeServerSMART does a great job monitoring the Physical Health of your Drives for sure but this monitoring does not pertain to the actual File System this the Server OS monitors. While a failing drive can cause corruption HSS would only report the drive issues while the Server OS would report the corruption. The two actually compliment each other in this way.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks