It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:00 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Colleagues,

I am back again with another question: can I use folder redirection without the server being a domain?

Best regards.

NZXT Classic H2, Cooler Master Silent Pro M600, Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3, Intel Core i5-2310, Crucial 16GB; System: 1 128GB 840 Pro Series; Data: 1 Seagate 3TB Barracuda, 2 Samsung 2TB EcoGreen F4 HD204UI; Backup: 1 Hitachi 500GB Deskstar, 1 Hitachi 2TB

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:20 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I believe the answer is yes. I'm not sure what you mean by folder redirect, but w2012E will work with pc's that are on the workgroup level. Because win7 starter and win7 premium do not have the ability to join the domain and I can still see all my other whs v1 servers and folders on the workgroup network.

Actually, I am trying to not use the domain at all, that that is becoming harder all the time, The days of (Home Server) are fading fast and all we have left are real servers which are way more then we need, but Microsoft just had to do it. They love pissing people off (sorry Rant).

I hope this helps, I may have gotten your question wrong.
Goodluck and let us know what you find that works for you.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:56 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, I did my first restore of the OS from the backups. I tried to uninstall the domain stuff and man did that make a mess. I found some instruction of how to uninstall it and demote it to a workgroup server, but as I said, it made all kinds of problems.
So I was trying to figure out how to restore the OS from the backups, I tried booting to the server install disc and do a repair thing it would go to the restore os stuff. NOT! It said something about this being a EFI bios and the disc not working.
So I rebooted and was tapping F8 to see what I would have access to and HELLO, in the repair was the option to restore the OS from the backs. YAH!

Thought this might help some who didn't know...
Now I am back where I started, stuck with the domain stuff. But found another way to bypass it so life goes on.
I am still running whs v1 and will till it won't run no more :-)

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks