It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:26 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

My WS2012E has been running for a good few months now. Recently it has been acting a little flaky.

After a fresh boot I can access media via DLNA streaming on either the build in server or my installed Serviio server, get to the remote web page, and log in remotely. However, after a day or two I find it takes ages to remote into the system, that I can't stream anything over the network, or that I can't even get to the web page.

The daily health reports are not indicating any significant issues - apart from an occasional DFSR replication error after I have to power off the server when it isn't responding. Occasionally I'll also receive a "computer monitoring error":
Code:
Alert details: Can only partially assess the health of this computer. The failing components are: ClientBackup!BackupService ClientBackup!BackupProvider OnlineBackupAlerts!OnlneBackupProvider

It's very hard to search for any information on this, but it might be related to how somtimes "A scheduled backup did not finish successfully":
Code:
Alert details: The scheduled backup did not finish successfully and returned the following error code: 2155348001
Windows Backup timed-out before the shared protection point was created.
Detailed error: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. Try this operation again.

This might just be timeouts caused by the fact that my backup destination is on an eSATA connected box that is also the destination of a Robocopy script that duplicates all of my server folders, and they will sometimes get their knickers in a twist when they're doing the same thing at the same time:
Code:
2013/11/28 10:13:47 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Copying File D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\Data.4096.70.dat
Access is denied.
ERROR: RETRY LIMIT EXCEEDED.

Has anyone else had any problems with media serving or remote access on their machines?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:45 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Just remoted in and disabled SMB signing, we'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:42 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well, I fixed it. Over the winter break I removed my Storage Pools and Storage Spaces.

I've gone back to 4 x 1.5TB on my EX495 and 4 x 2TB on my JBOD array.
Attachment:
20140108 Hard Drives.png
20140108 Hard Drives.png [ 13.41 KiB | Viewed 17402 times ]

I made sure everything was copied to my backup drives, took an extra copy onto an external 2TB drive of all my critical stuff, then 'unpicked' my server storage. I recreated my ServerFolders on each separate drive, splitting my videos folder into two because of the size requirements. Next I copied the contents from my backup storage into the ServerFolders. I then 'unpicked' my backup storage, creating four 2TB drives. I added an external 250GB drive which is now used as a server backup. I disabled shadow copies from all of the drives, because I am backing up directly to the drives in my JBOD, connected by eSATA.
Attachment:
20140108 Server Folders.png
20140108 Server Folders.png [ 22.46 KiB | Viewed 17402 times ]

Once this was done I removed the job in my Task Scheduler that would use a PowerShell script to copy from my server storage to my backup storage. I created four new scripts (for example "RobocopyDtoH.ps1") and created jobs in the Task Scheduler to run these, staggered by half an hour from 2:00AM to 3:30AM.
Attachment:
20140108 Tasks.png
20140108 Tasks.png [ 32.53 KiB | Viewed 17402 times ]

All drives were formatted to NTFS rather than ReFS. This was because I use Windows Azure Online Backup to protect certain drives. I reconfigured WAOB and confirmed the correct folders are being backed up - you can see the "Protected" folders in the screen shot of the server folders.

The system is responsive, is serving media appropriately, and feels so much more solid now. I don't know if the EX495 just doesn't have the necessary power to do software based RAID / pooling, but I am much happier with this configuration.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:30 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm having an issue with my remote access also. when I go to my domain name WWW.XXXX.XXX, I get the sign in screen but it wont let me sign in. I can RDP into the server from both on and off site. The only change I made to my server was to enable hibernation, I set up lights out to use hibernation instead of suspend. I have noticed that access to the server has taken a lot longer since I made the switch. I tried to do a repair on the anywhere access but it just sits on verifying for hours. any help is appreciated... :cry:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:35 pm 

I am not a person who puts the server to sleep I keep mine running 24-7 so I am not a sleep expert, heck I have trouble sleeping myself personally. Anyway......

Can you put the setting back the way they were before the issue with RWA occurred and does a complete shut down and boot up resolve the issue. Not a Reboot but a complete shut down. Does doing this make any difference?

I know or believe you just did a fresh install of WS2012E on your server but did you make a backup of your System Drive to say an external drive or setup a daily backup to a dedicated drive? If you do this then you can recover the Server from a backup image to a point where the server was working well. Of course this leads to the next question, do you have a DEBUG Board on your server if you have it installed on an HP MSS or maybe you have the OS on a custom unit which I am not sure of?

The thing about setting up an OS Backup is that its like an insurance policy especially if your going to get brave and do things with your server. Should you really break it good then you can get the server back to where it was before you started doing things to it. In the past year I have performed a recovery from a Backup Image twice and both times it was to resolve an RWA issue mostly with a VPN my most coveted feature in WS2012E. Coveted because I have notebooks with small SSD's so I rely on the VPN to gain access to my data mostly from work. While I do have a server at work running WHS2011 I store all my more private items on my WS2012E Server which are basically things I do not want my employees to accidently gain access to or for projects I am working on so that I have access to that data from anywhere. I know I am getting off topic but there is a point to it in that there is an importance to my setup I rely on and if things go out of whack for whatever reason I know I can get out of trouble by restoring the OS back to a working state.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yes a shutdown or reboot solves the issue until the next time the unit is suspended. Yes I have System back ups configured. I used a older 2TB drive to capture the back hp's. While my Sans Digital is in for repairs I use my thermotake HDD caddy, its been working fairly well. I haven't noticed any issues with drives falling out, Which would happen to my sans digital. I do have the debug board, Ive had it installed since I did the reinstall the OS. Im about the disconnect it and move on as Im expecting family in the next week.

I got a late Bday present of ws2012e R2 so I reinstalled and have drug my feet about installing Lightouts out on new install.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:21 pm 

Gardian found a way to put his EX49x to sleep and wake up and reported good results but he did it on the original WS2012E not the R2. I know he was playing with the R2 for HyperV stuff but gave up on it and went back to the original WS2012E.

Here a link where Gardian explains how he got his WS2012E to sleep and wake up properly. I am not sure how it would work in R2 but its worth a read. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13235

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks